What's new

Disadvantage to Musio Lifetime Subscription?

What a cluster*****. So glad I'm not invested in the Cinesamples ecosystem..
Recently I wanted a nice aggressive cello sound for a tune nobody will ever hear that I'm working on. I found one in Musio that fits the bill perfectly, then remembered that Musio is actually a cluster**** so didn't use it and chose a DX7 electric piano sound instead. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. The song is much the worse for that particular choice in sounds but at least I'll sleep well knowing I've dodged a bullet by not using Musio.

To be clear: I get and appreciate OP’s original question. It is a valid one.

As to speculation about a company’s or business’ future, there have been many threads lately where forum members seem to think or even claim to know how a company is doing, seeing all sorts of “writings on the wall”. Spitfire is doomed because their most recent publicly disclosed balance sheet shows a loss, 8Dio and Soundpaint are spoiling the market because they’re doomed for sure and they’re of course major ***holes anyway, and Musio doesn’t have a sustainable business. “I mean, look at those prices”.

I am in the camp of people who think the market may be saturated but the many sales have always been there as far as I can see and according to vendors also a necessity. So I don’t attribute a lot of “predictive value” to them. I have no idea about any of the vendors’ future financial outlooks. All i meant to do was to mention some of these views. I should have made that more clear.

I bought Musio lifetime for $499 and like the product. ;)
Your post made me think, and it feels like all but the very smallest of devs must be good at business in general. These companies don't go out of business as often as I'd expect given the size of the market, the cost of the products, and the difficulties they face etc, even through COVID. For the smaller or even medium devs it could be that libraries aren't their main income in the first place

Your post made me think, and it feels like all but the very smallest of devs must be good at business in general. These companies don't go out of business as often as I'd expect given the size of the market, the cost of the products, and the difficulties they face etc, even through COVID. For the smaller or even medium devs it could be that libraries aren't their main income in the first place
It’s an interesting market to be sure. Distribution costs are low and the market is global. Some products have very low production costs (others are of course very high). Most products have a reasonably long tail, even if it isn’t thick. The market still has enough people moving through it that there can be decent income in older products if they are not too niche and priced well. Most samples don’t age all that much and can be rescripted back into relevance.

It’s also interesting to me that the whole market is dominated by what in other industries would be considered small or at best medium sized firms. Only Native Instruments is what I’d consider at all large, and they generally commission libraries rather than make them. SF, VSL, OT, EW, ProjectSam, Sonokinetic, CineSamples, Heavyocity, Auduo Imperia, Strezov—I’m sure I’m missing many here, but we think of these companies as big players but none of them are large by the standards of general business and I’m not sure that any of them have more than 100 employees. Most of them seem to have fewer than 20 from what I can tell. (That’s also an interesting aspect of this—they all, even many of the one person shops, tend to present as slick corporate entities.)

So, let me just understand. The basic consensus is that Musio isn't doing well so best not to buy anything as we aren't sure when support will end? I was mainly looking at the sale for Musio 1 because it's a hell of a deal, and the fact that it comes with just the mixed mics which I use all the time, I won't miss anything. Also it'll save space for me. Does Musio come with keyswitches?

So, let me just understand. The basic consensus is that Musio isn't doing well so best not to buy anything as we aren't sure when support will end? I was mainly looking at the sale for Musio 1 because it's a hell of a deal, and the fact that it comes with just the mixed mics which I use all the time, I won't miss anything. Also it'll save space for me. Does Musio come with keyswitches?
Yes, it comes with keyswitches. And I wouldn't worry about the rest.

They have promised that, in the event they close shop or the like, you’ll be able to download all of the libraries with permanent licenses. I’m sure this doesn’t include folks who just have the subscription.

Yes and no, lemme explain differently.

If you're setting up/starting with a main library, yes, Musio is a good idea and at this price, yes or yes. Plus you don't need to download all and only download what you want/need, I don't know if it's easy to delete such samples.

The issue is A+B, where A is a realm with users of Cinesamples (Kontakt version) Instruments and these weren't cheap and only on their sales some people started to get interested because of B, B is "we will update our 10 year Cinesymphony" GUI starting from Cinestrings". Then, the Launch of Cinestrings 2.0 happened.

So you understand that A got pretty excited with B, which when sales came for the first time, A started to have new users who said "hey, they're going to update them, so I better take advantage of these and get Cinestrings already updated and the others waiting for update"

And pretty after CineStrings 2.0 was launched with some issues (like in a hurry), Musio was launched. And B is not going to happen, all focus is on Musio.

So, in my case for instance, I already got Strings, Solo Strings, Brass, Brass Pro, WWinds and WWinds Pro plus others (glitch sale, only because of that), plus I have a bunch of other libraries. So I am part of A too, but without any disgruntle or ill feeling or feeling bamboozled, I just find it redundant and I is sad for no update. They're a business and need to survive, so whatever benefits them and clients is good, but in terms of promises and deliveries there was left a feel of, better not put all eggs in one basket.

In summary, get it. Yes, it has Keyswitch patches. Yes, if you have Cinebrass in Musio you will feel it sounds different, yes, Musio 1 is cheaper than only Cineperc. Yes is a vast library and yes, the promises of more mics is there, but it's a promise. What I do dislike in Kontakt versions is that you can't get the same sound using the other mics to sound like the Mixed mic, unless you add some processing, so Mix Mic as default is hmmmm, not everyone likes prebaked sounds.

They will become perpetual to you until latest release if Musio isn't thriving, of course it will mean you need to download all samples at once. But I see that far to happen, they do should go back to decent Kontakt sales, 30% is a no no, and it's understandable, they need people to find Musio attractive.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Will grab Musio 1 in that case. 199 for so much is tempting. I have CineBrass and the CinBrass libraries on Kontakt, but having such a vast collection for just 199 is insane. And since they only come with mixed mics, I am hoping that the space it takes up will be less as well. Thank you :)

It’s an interesting market to be sure. Distribution costs are low and the market is global. Some products have very low production costs (others are of course very high). Most products have a reasonably long tail, even if it isn’t thick. The market still has enough people moving through it that there can be decent income in older products if they are not too niche and priced well. Most samples don’t age all that much and can be rescripted back into relevance.

It’s also interesting to me that the whole market is dominated by what in other industries would be considered small or at best medium sized firms. Only Native Instruments is what I’d consider at all large, and they generally commission libraries rather than make them. SF, VSL, OT, EW, ProjectSam, Sonokinetic, CineSamples, Heavyocity, Auduo Imperia, Strezov—I’m sure I’m missing many here, but we think of these companies as big players but none of them are large by the standards of general business and I’m not sure that any of them have more than 100 employees. Most of them seem to have fewer than 20 from what I can tell. (That’s also an interesting aspect of this—they all, even many of the one person shops, tend to present as slick corporate entities.)
The problem with orchestra libraries is always trying to reinvent the wheel. People who make money off their work will invest in shiny and new. The guy who wants strings once in a while for something like trap doesn't need the elite libraries. So you reinvent the pricing. Lets look at VSL and EW. 20 years ago those were beyond the hands of hobbyist. I have a nice collection of entry level VSL. My EW HWO Gold was under $250 and upgrade is often $199. I think it is interesting with those libraries for Sine you can buy a peice at a time. The reality is these romplers also take time to mature. I remember when Kontakt was a distant 2nd fiddle to Gigastudio. Then there was Garritan who came out with the affordable library.
Look at the plugin and gaming market with the race down to zero. Waves has to give stuff away in hopes people go for the worst licensing in the industry. I don't even bat an eye for their sales.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Will grab Musio 1 in that case. 199 for so much is tempting. I have CineBrass and the CinBrass libraries on Kontakt, but having such a vast collection for just 199 is insane. And since they only come with mixed mics, I am hoping that the space it takes up will be less as well. Thank you :)
How do you get it for $199?
I just visited the site and it's $299.

How do you get it for $199?
I just visited the site and it's $299.
Actually, there's a new sale that cinesamples is now offering in conjunction with Musio 1:

35% off sitewide plus 50% off Musio 1 with any purchase.

But if you miss this sale, or if you don't want to buy anything from cinesamples in order to qualify, I'm sure there will be another new Musio 1 sale very soon! 😁

Actually, there's a new sale that cinesamples is now offering in conjunction with Musio 1:

35% off sitewide plus 50% off Musio 1 with any purchase.

But if you miss this sale, or if you don't want to buy anything from cinesamples in order to qualify, I'm sure there will be another new Musio 1 sale very soon! 😁
1713560917698.png
Here's the banner but my glitch-inspired mathemagics make me ask meself the following:

You get one of the $99 lib. And then you get a $200 off Musio 1. But, if Musio 1 is now $299, such code you get on the email will leave it at $99 or $199? Aham...

(just got Voxos, first time is that cheap since das glitchfest)

Does anyone happen to know why if you attempt to purchase Piano In Blue you are redirected to sonicsmiths.com?

Update:
Note: This product we previously offered on Cinesamples.com, you may have been redirected from there. Sonicsmiths is now the distributor and customer support for this product.

Top Bottom