What's new

Digital Performer 11 Templates, Tricks How to

GoofyTroop

Hello , i wanted to start a DP area. I dont think i am the only one using it.?

So i have made several Orchestral film/Tv templates. It uses both Vienna, kontakt, CS, CSS, Audio bro, CSS,CSB, OT, etc.

When i find out how to post them and share, then i can post them.

Any Questions on DP i will do best to answer.

Any problems you are having will do my best to solve.

Everyone feel free to contribute. !

Great idea, one tip, you can save entire templates for say Antidrum 3 into Clippings, and Clippings are much easier to deal with in the new Content Browser with folders for various Clipping types etc. The trick is to select some time in the timeline along with the track, then the entire thing can be loaded into any project. The caveat with Clippings is having to reassign outputs, but track Assignments is pretty quick.

GoofyTroop- as a long time Cubase user slowly trying to use DP I am very interested in DP templates.
I am eager to share. My templates will load great. I do have allot of Vienna stuff. But i own almost all the library's. I can make one for Cinesamples, or project sam, or both or spitfire chamber orch. I got allot of templates. I gota set up a drop box. Then post link here i guess. I tried compressing DP. Doc file but will not except it here.

Here is a list of library's i have and might have some templates for

EW diamond everything
EW goliath
Ew Pop brass
EW opera
(EW almost everything they make)

Cinesamples (entire library)

Vienna (most of it some synchron)

Cinematic scoring brass
Cinematic strings 1 and 2

Project Sam (all but pandora)

Entire Kontakt ( inly use guitar, basses, drums, pick acoustic , acoustic guitar and strums, vintage guit, prime bass, session strings what ever i need potluck.

Spitfire Chamber strings, Brass, Woodwinds, harp etc and bunch of there artistic stuff

Audio bro
Genisus
LASS
Modern Scoring brass
Modern scoring strings
LA scoring strings 3

Spectrasonics (everything)

Orchestral tools ( strings, wW, some brass, perc, tons of sine library, vocals and choirs etc

Kirk Hunter stuff

Best accordians
Best kingdom medevil kegends
Best Africa

Dominos choirs

Lots of others like 8dio , synaps, stienberg, halion,

I will organize. I have three templates
I use on all my film and TV projects and commercials. Mostly orchestral with my “TV Band” drums , bass, guitar, B3, etc.

Tomorrow i will sign up for drop box.
Then upload. If you have Vienna ensemble, Ensemble pro i have it in my template with plugins from UAD and vienna already set up on buss of sections. Ready for primetime! Ha

All you have to do is set up chunks to timecode of your gig. And set seq start at barb0 so you have 4 in. If you start seq at bar one, no time to preload vst and CC data. So in DP i set seq start to bar 0. Thens means it gives time to load all the data and look ahead vst’s do their best.

Everyone knows how to reassign tracks if they dont have vst library when opening? As you can reassign vienna or Cinesamples etc to what you have. I have folders of “VST’s”
“External midi gear” “Strings” Woodwinds” “Brass” “Perc” etc so inside folders is broken down to library in name and solo and sections.
Its straight forward. Just dont panic when window pops up on loading “following Instruments not found”
In that box you can reassign them to your owned library. Allot work and years of finding the best of the library's. Will sure get you going!

And slow down you mac or pc as its a full template.

Yea i am semi retired and sharing my templates now. I just have to set up some drop box as this forum will not ket me upload Digital Performer .DPdoc files. Option key held down when clicking in tracks opens them to name track. Set different color, your goid to go. If external midi synth, add midi track, then go to column on RH side click hold and all your midi setup appears choose external synth and midi channel. Now the tricky part is setting up AUX tracks for each external synth so you can add your plugin efx etc or outboard gear in the audio. I have a crap load od midi external synths! 4x8=36 36 total external synths. I still love them! Sound better then most Cubase recreations if them. Each one has a specific thing it does well. All available in Motu template. I own Nuendo, Wavelab, and cubase 13 but not a Cubase fan. Its hard to calculate clicks and hits tempos on animation stuff and action scenes. I am sure you can do it but confusing.

Below is my midi gear. So if i make templates for people i can put tracks in. Its fun making big templates!
No one sells them, or makes them. Ha so i do! More templates, = more enjoyment and time composing. Less time cussing and wasting days not writing music.

MIDI GEAR~~~~~~~~<~
Entire E-mu line (3) E4xt Ultras
Proteus 1,2,3 XR, (with protologic)
proteus 2000, E-Mu B-3, Procussion xr, Vintage, Virtuoso, mo phat, orbit, carnival, Z-plane synth, planet Phat
Korg Wavestation SR qty 2
Korg M3R loaded
Korg O3WR
Korg Triton
Korg kronos
Roland tr808
Roland R8
(2) Roland Fantom XR’s loaded
Integra-7
Roland 2080
Roland d-550
Roland MKS 80
Yamaha TX816
Yamaha FS1R
Yamaha Montage 88
Yamaha Motif XS R
Kurzweil PC2R
Alesis Quadra synth
Mini midimoog
Oberheim matrix 6
Akai midi wind instrument
Old midi Nyle Steiner EVI

Great idea, one tip, you can save entire templates for say Antidrum 3 into Clippings, and Clippings are much easier to deal with in the new Content Browser with folders for various Clipping types etc. The trick is to select some time in the timeline along with the track, then the entire thing can be loaded into any project. The caveat with Clippings is having to reassign outputs, but track Assignments is pretty quick.
Something that has annoyed me about this is how it always adds "copy of" to the track name(s). Its a small thing for sure but I do wish they could change that.

Something that has annoyed me about this is how it always adds "copy of" to the track name(s). Its a small thing for sure but I do wish they could change that.
I'm not seeing that, just dragged a clipping into a project of SoundIrons Antidrum, and the names are fine. are you dragging a copy into an existing project in another Chunk?

I'm not seeing that, just dragged a clipping into a project of SoundIrons Antidrum, and the names are fine. are you dragging a copy into an existing project in another Chunk?
Really? Interesting. I've tested with a brand new project no other tracks. I just drag the clipping in from the content browser.

EDIT: Yeah just tried again. So I create an instrument track. Give it a name "Test Track". No data on the track. Highlight the first bar. Copy clipping to window. Delete the track. Copy the newly created clipping by dragging it in. New track gets created as "Test Track copy".

Really? Interesting. I've tested with a brand new project no other tracks. I just drag the clipping in from the content browser.

EDIT: Yeah just tried again. So I create an instrument track. Give it a name "Test Track". No data on the track. Highlight the first bar. Copy clipping to window. Delete the track. Copy the newly created clipping by dragging it in. New track gets created as "Test Track copy".
OK now I am, it's on virtual instruments only, it doesn't affect MIDI tracks, and the Antidrum Clipping is just MIDI pointing to VEP. Yeah that's a silly one, not a deal breaker, but silly.

OK now I am, it's on virtual instruments only, it doesn't affect MIDI tracks, and the Antidrum Clipping is just MIDI pointing to VEP. Yeah that's a silly one, not a deal breaker, but silly.
Ha ya...thanks for checking. I recall now that it didn't do the same with MIDI. I did shoot them an email a year or so ago so perhaps one day!

I recently sent them an email to get them to fix some issues including this one.
I want to transition to a template made from combined instrument tracks with coupled VEP instances that I've saved as clippings instead of having a 1000 track template but DP doesn't make this workflow as straightforward as Cubase (track archives) or Pro Tools (track presets). Hopefully they listen.

you are right about the copy thing. It's annoying, but after creating the clipping we must go to show in Finder and, from there, rename the file name.

The clippings in finder don’t have the “copy” suffix. They have the original proper name. What are you suggesting I rename them as?
I am out now, but I will post some pictures of my results when I am back in the evening okay?
But yes, you have to select the name and delete some part of it.

Top Bottom