What's new

Delivering stems

Jono

Hi Folks,

Pardon my ignorance...Im delivering stems next week and was wondering if I could pick the collective brains?

I've been working in reels and there is anywhere between 4 to 10 cues on a reel.

The first couple are pretty densely written and some of the later reels have large gaps between cues.

For delivering stems would you typically render each cue separately and time stamp them or print stems for each reel from bar 1 / reel start time.

Generally, I found the best method is to do a combination of both.

- Usually, I'll send individual stems for each cue as to give the mixing engineer more control.
- Then, I'll also send over a 'master file' with all of the cues in a single audio file for easier syncing.

This way you get the control of having each cue separated while also assuring there are no syncing issues.

I prefer it when the stems can be delivered in a Pro Tools session file. That way, I can request the locked single reel (final), import into PT, and "checkerboard" all of my stems in sync with the picture. When I send the session file, it opens up on their end and all the cues are exactly where they should be.

I do plan to pick up pro tools for the next project. More so now that reel 1 is 15Gig and I've a further 7 reels to render...

Can you request a single reel of the locked picture? In addition, see if they can give you the single reel and burn the timecode right into it. Not sure what DAW you're using, but you could also ask for the reel in H264 which works great in Logic and Cubase from my experience. I know it sounds demanding from your end, but having all those reels is nuts.

On the latest projects I've been working on it, we export our STEMS with a specific naming convention which includes the starting Timecode position of each cue (ie; 01211318 which is 01:21:13:18). It's then up to those who import the files to basically gives those STEMS that starting point in their Daw (usually PT) so everything sync's up. Having the timecode included in the naming format also tells all parties which reel it refers to, not to mention the most common naming convention like 2M13.

Having a very distinct naming convention also makes things like having to adjust cues due to timing changes since picture isn't always 100% locked. For instance, if you are working in Reel 1 and the production approved a 2 second extension for a specific VFX scene, than you have to slip everything after it back 2 seconds or however many frames were added. Because you know the timecode positions, all you have to do is simple math and boom, you can change the timecode based on those changes versus having to adjust to picture. Things like that are reasons why it is insanely important for you to be in contact with your production people.

Not all DAWs have the ability to export files with embedded time-code. If you are using a DAW that does, than the easy part is working in Pro Tools where you can simply hit a single button and the audio is shifted to it's exact time-code position without having to fuss with drag things around. If you are importing to DAWs that don't have the feature than be sure to know how importing works. Cubase is pretty simple, just set your cursor where the starting point is and then follow the steps to importing. The file(s) will import at whatever position your cursor is on the timeline. Again, this is why a descriptive, yet simple, naming convention of your files is important.

Christian's videos are great because he talks about "head of department." If you are wanting to take on that role than I suggest spending time to come up with simple workflows like I've mentioned and then adopt those you encounter over the years because that is how you become effective as a HOD. I currently work for a composer who is very adept at how she wants things done and I can tell you, her system saves a lot of time and energy if you follow it to a tee. I've certainly taken notes and acquired a better way of working that has made my life so much easier. I hope my comments help you out. Best of luck on your current project.

Best,

Chris

Top Bottom