What's new

Dark Guitar Metal Sound

Daniel Petras

I'm not a guitar player at all but I'm really interested in learning to create the dark heavy metal guitar sound in music like I've linked below. Do these sounds come form guitars being performed through FX pedals or could this possibly be achieved through an available vst itself + something like Guitar rig?

Amp (or amp simluation) along the lines of a mesa boogie rectifier or a randall thrasher (or engl or peavey...). Scoop out the mids and dont push the drive as far as it will go, keep it ~6-7. You need less distortion for rhythm than you think. Stick a noise gate in there too to help with keeping the palm mutes tight.

Good VST is Mercuriall's U530...it's a sim of the Engl e530 preamp, and they have a couple of free boosts as well. Cabs are great and movable in 2D too.

Good thing about amp sims is they're usually much cheaper than sample libraries...I think that Merc sim is like $60 or so.

You're going to need a guitar and interface to use any of the amp sim plugins though, you covered for that?

I'm not a guitar player at all but I'm really interested in learning to create the dark heavy metal guitar sound in music like I've linked below. Do these sounds come form guitars being performed through FX pedals or could this possibly be achieved through an available vst itself + something like Guitar rig?

Hahaha, Lethal Shot is the music from the Fishing Planet trailer.

Anyway, all that is, is the classic "scooped" guitar sound on 7 string guitars.

This is about the only kind of electric guitar playing most VSTi guitars can do well, so you could do this with Shreddage or the like.

Here's what will get you 90% of the way there, just add the guitar before the signal chain, obviously.

• Noise gate

TSE 808 tube screamer sim

• (broken link removed) or some other high-gain amp sim.

NadIR impulse response loader or similar

• https://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?t=2631 (Guitarhacks Original 3 Impulses) and/or (broken link removed)

• EQ

If everything else comes from Guitar Rig, I would still recommend using the impulses responses instead of the regular cab sims.

With the EQ, quiet down unnecessary low end and apply a bit of a "smiley face" in the mid range and maybe even another EQ before that one to quiet some of the resonances and hissing (esp. around 4k) you will definitely get.

Leave the TSE808 or other tubescreamer sim ON, but leave all the settings at neutral. The point of the tube screamer is that it acts as a filter & boost; you'll hear the difference it makes by just toggling it on and off, of course.

Rock on.

You're going to need a guitar and interface to use any of the amp sim plugins though, you covered for that?
I have no guitar nor guitar skills, so no I'm not covered for that! I'm thinking VSTs are the way to go for me. I'd love to learn guitar sometime down the road though.

Hahaha, Lethal Shot is the music from the Fishing Planet trailer.

Anyway, all that is, is the classic "scooped" guitar sound on 7 string guitars.

This is about the only kind of electric guitar playing most VSTi guitars can do well, so you could do this with Shreddage or the like.

Here's what will get you 90% of the way there, just add the guitar before the signal chain, obviously.

• Noise gate

TSE 808 tube screamer sim

• (broken link removed) or some other high-gain amp sim.

NadIR impulse response loader or similar

• https://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?t=2631 (Guitarhacks Original 3 Impulses) and/or (broken link removed)

• EQ

If everything else comes from Guitar Rig, I would still recommend using the impulses responses instead of the regular cab sims.

With the EQ, quiet down unnecessary low end and apply a bit of a "smiley face" in the mid range and maybe even another EQ before that one to quiet some of the resonances and hissing (esp. around 4k) you will definitely get.

Leave the TSE808 or other tubescreamer sim ON, but leave all the settings at neutral. The point of the tube screamer is that it acts as a filter & boost; you'll hear the difference it makes by just toggling it on and off, of course.

Rock on.
Thanks! Yeah, the Fishing Planet trailer is where I first heard it. I love paradoxes like that, when people break the rules - it's comedic and rebellious!

I wouldn't even bother with a real guitar/interface, especially since you don't play guitar. Honestly, these guitars sound really synthetic, and overly processed, which really suits this type of music. The easiest thing would be to look into some 7 string or tune-downed vst libraries.

I have no guitar nor guitar skills, so no I'm not covered for that! I'm thinking VSTs are the way to go for me. I'd love to learn guitar sometime down the road though.

Sorry man....coming from a guitar background, I think in terms of amps, modelers and sims. On the guitar forums the sims are called VSTs, and I thought that's what you were looking for.

Top Bottom