What's new

Dante protocol: is there a multitrack recorder that would have Dante In and Dante Through capabilities?

Mikro93

Senior Member (he/they)
Hi there,

It's in the title!

Basically, I would have 8 channels of audio via Dante (RJ45), and I would like to somehow record these 8 channels whilst sending them to another device (that will record video signals as well as a sum of these 8 audio channels).

Since I would like to edit and mix the audio tracks individually, and not only the sum, I was wondering whether a recorder existed with these capabilities.

Hope I'm being clear! :)

I'm not aware of a dedicated hardware device, but you may be overthinking this a little bit. If Dante is on the network than anyone else on the network can listen in, there is no need for a through or repeater like function.

To record the individual tracks you can use Dante Virtual Soundcard or I suppose Via, there is a bundle on sale right now for $59 (don't quote me).

That's all you would need to do what you want to do, assuming you already have a device that will put the audio on the network.

I'm not aware of a dedicated hardware device, but you may be overthinking this a little bit. If Dante is on the network than anyone else on the network can listen in, there is no need for a through or repeater like function.

To record the individual tracks you can use Dante Virtual Soundcard or I suppose Via, there is a bundle on sale right now for $59 (don't quote me).

That's all you would need to do what you want to do, assuming you already have a device that will put the audio on the network.
Thank very much for your input!

The issue here is that we're not going to be using any computer - this for work stuff not related to music, and everything would be handled with dedicated hardware until after everything is recorded.

EDIT to try and clarify: we're not putting Dante on the network, it's just used to send audio between 2 hardware devices through a single RJ45 cable.

That being said... It might be a solution to use a computer, get all of the audio channels in with a single RJ45, find a way to route it back out, maybe with an Ethernet switch or something, and multitrack record on the computer. Was that your suggestion, did I get that right?

It's unclear exactly what you want to do, but you may find it useful to watch this video. The participants are Sound Devices co-founders Jon Tatooles and Matt Anderson and Studio Technologies owner Gordon Kapes. The discussion starts at 00:45. Sound Devices is heavily involved with Dante, and has also done a number of other presentations, some that are shorter but also less detailed.

Sound Devices: https://www.sounddevices.com

Studio Technologies: https://studio-tech.com

Last edited:
You are close.

You need an Ethernet Switch to connect your transmitter (whatever it is) to your receivers. It will work point-to-point, but it wasn't intended to do that, and it places some restrictions on the hardware you are using to put audio on the network.

Connect one port of the switch to your video recorder and another to your audio recorder, there is no need for a repeater anywhere.

If you absolutely need a hardware audio recorder check out Joeco, they start at around $3k, if that fits in your budget you are all set. Otherwise you can use a computer running any multitrack recording software you like.

Thank you very much, the two of you :)

I'll check out Joeco, and I'll have a look at the video!

Top Bottom