What's new

Cubase 10.5

I couldn’t care less about Bézier curves in midi. There’s only 128 steps in midi. I guess it would look prettier but after a lot of thought since so many people displayed outrage of the last Cubase release not having Bézier curves for midi, I personally don’t see the point at all. The midi editing side of things in Cubase is the best thing about Cubase and having nice smooth curves isn’t going to change how many steps midi has. Each to their own I guess.

video export! Now THAT, in the words of Mark Corrigan, is ticketyboo! :)

I bought cubase 10 in august. what is the upgrade price to 10.5? i can’t find it
The grace period for free update from Cubase 10 pro is if you bought it within 6 weeks prior to today so August does not qualify. $59 for your 10.5 update.

I couldn’t care less about Bézier curves in midi. There’s only 128 steps in midi. I guess it would look prettier but after a lot of thought since so many people displayed outrage of the last Cubase release not having Bézier curves for midi, I personally don’t see the point at all. The midi editing side of things in Cubase is the best thing about Cubase and having nice smooth curves isn’t going to change how many steps midi has. Each to their own I guess.

video export! Now THAT, in the words of Mark Corrigan, is ticketyboo! :)

It's just way quicker to get a smooth crescendo when you have Point A and B and instantly are able to adjust point B to whatever dynamic you want without having to redraw the entire curve.

I love that monitor on the Cubase 10.5 update announcement page. Interesting since HiDPI was not fixed, lol.

If I'm not mistaken, you can draw the CC1 automation in the edit window, then map a CC in the project window to a bezier ( CC 1 ) ) and you can use the bezier to control the overall dynamic of the CC data in the edit window.

You can definetly map normal bezier to any CC and automate from the project window, but I assume it wont be at the same resolution.

EDIT: they fixed the scaling on mixer track pictures box?

If I'm not mistaken, you can draw the CC1 automation in the edit window, then map a CC in the project window to a bezier ( CC 1 ) ) and you can use the bezier to control the overall dynamic of the CC data in the edit window. Pretty sure you can.

🤢

Every time I see a Cubase update I get excited for a minute and then disappointed. I have absolutely no issue with developers stealing good ideas from others and implement them into their own DAW making the workflow better and the whole user experience more satisfying.

What I cannot understand though and it just pisses me off with Steinberg's team is that although they can make some of the weirdest and complex stuff work they fail to implement simple workflow features for years now.

I guess with the rise of Studio One they are forced a bit to up their game and implement some new actual workflow features but for the love of God, it's 2019. Kontakt is king atm and most Cubase users (if not all) use it more or less. Isn't it time dear Steinberg to fix those midi channels or Instrument tracks so when we have a midi track on the project window the corresponding audio output to be selected in the mixer window? Cause right now if you use Kontakt as a host for more than 1 instrument the mixer page becomes almost useless. Also, how difficult it is for the automation of the midi track to be under the track and not all bunched up under a rack instrument track which makes it a waste of time to look for 1 automation track among others and edit it?

I know there are workarounds to these things but my point is that there shouldn't be. Not for a DAW that's so advanced as Cubase and it can implement features that a lot more complex than these basic things that will make every composers life a lot easier.

Reactions: EgM
Found my first problem: I can't import tracks from my orchestral templates, as soon as the loading bar finishes I get a spinning ball of death and C10.5 becomes unusuable until I force quit it.
Anyone else have the same problem?

Yes, same for me here.

Meh...I've skipped every 0.5 update and looks like I'm skipping this one too. Those colorized mixer channels look nice, though. Call me when there's proper support for HiDPI screens and the software is a bit more responsive with a big template. :D

Thoughts so far:

Only major useful thing is the new track import function and being able to export video.

The Tap delay is nice plugin.

MIDI looks a little cleaner in the main edit window.

The EQ is handy but still lacks auto gain function. Not going to use it as one has Pro Q3.

The one thing I never liked about the channel strip is you only have the option to make the channel strip pre or post. Why not just abolish this entirely so you're not limited by it for building a signal chain using the strip (and your own plugins) in the order you choose?

I like you can now colour the mixer + the track names are much easier to read.

Track pictures box is still broken and only scales to the size of a pea.

Padshop 2 is nice.

Really not fussed about the tool merge function.

Nice they have made track archives give you an option to make it compatible with previous versions.

So far... Should have been a free update TBH.

The spectral eq comparison thing seems useful but I’ve already dealt with finding workarounds, albeit quick and dirty ones, for the lack of video export and track import features. So, i dunno...

The delay alone is worth the upgrade price to me... exactly what I've been thinking about in the last few weeks... a delay with a lot of control and individual effects per delay.

Although the track importing crash mentioned here is concerning... looks like there is focus on features and getting it sold with cool fancy functions but negligence regarding basic functionality and stability.

What if I bought it in June but didn’t register it?
From Steinberg.net - Customers who have activated Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 or earlier versions since October 16, 2019, are or will be eligible for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest version, respectively.

The delay alone is worth the upgrade price to me... exactly what I've been thinking about in the last few weeks... a delay with a lot of control and individual effects per delay.

Yeah, I really don't understand all the hate levelled at this update tbh. The new delay is insanely useful, as is the smart tool (finally) plus the coloured mixer tracks to help take away the drab mixer. On top of that there's the new import functions, again, included in the update price. I guess there's no pleasing some people!

What really annoys me is all the posts on FaceBook about 10.5 crashing on Win7. I have no sympathy at all - how long has it been since Steinberg announced Win10 compatibility only 9.5, 10? It's not like it's just been dropped out of nowhere just now - even if it had just been announced, if Win7 is not supported and you rely on Cubase why on earth would you risk it let alone kick off if it does crash? Nope, no sympathy at all I'm afraid.

Maybe I'm feeling a little spoiled because of the many years of Pro Tools (non)updates then their terrible 'support'plan. For $89 AUD it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Top Bottom