What's new

CSMagic - A Reaper Script to nudge notes for CSS, CSSS, CSB and CSW

thorwald

Hi all,

CSMagic allows you to automagically nudge notes based on the instrument and legato/shorts type, based on velocity. Supported types are CSS, CSSS, CSB-G (generic for trombones, horns and tuba), CSB-T (for trumpets), and CSW.

Please note: CSB does not have exact values defined per instrument, so the nudges can be slightly off by a few ms.

Standard and advanced legato is supported, notes will be nudged based on velocity by the ms values as defined in the manual. All shorts are -60 ms, as can be seen in the manual. For CSB, only standard legato is available, since the available legato types are medium and fast.

In order to make this work, you have to name (or annotate) your track as follows:

Instrument-legato/shorts type.

For example, advanced legato for CSW would be CSW-AL, while for standard legato it's CSW-SL. For shorts CSW-S. This is case sensitive.

Please note: this script was originally designed to be used with OSARA, a Reaper plugin that enhances Reaper's screen reader accessibility for the blind and visually impaired, however, when the plugin is not installed, all spoken messages will be visible via Reaper's console. Since there is no UI, the script is usable straight from the actions window, or via a keyboard shortcut.

CSMagic is loosely based on Caleb's Reaper Toolbox by @calebfaith.

Attachments

• CSMagic.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks a lot Thorwald! This should be useful to me, although I think I will try to adjust it a little to suite my own workflow a bit better, as I use only one track per instrument.

You're most welcome ☺️

The script is designed to be used on a track per instrument basis, so I don't think any modification is required, unless I misunderstood you.

@thorwald How can I disable the pop-up window "Moved notes" in the script?

Also, can you modify the script a bit to trigger nudging only for selected notes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
@thorwald How can I disable the pop-up window "Moved notes" in the script?
You can comment out line 115 for this, where the speak function is called. Simply put two dashes and optionally spaces or tabs at the beginning of the line (--)

Also, can you modify the script a bit to trigger nudging only for selected notes?
This needs a bit of rewriting as currently the script relies on the items on a given track, but it's certainly doable. I'm not sure how much time I'll have in the near future, but I'll try to add this as a separate script.

You can comment out line 115 for this, where the speak function is called. Simply put two dashes and optionally spaces or tabs at the beginning of the line (--)

This needs a bit of rewriting as currently the script relies on the items on a given track, but it's certainly doable. I'm not sure how much time I'll have in the near future, but I'll try to add this as a separate script.
Would be great and very convenient to be able to trigger nudging only in a selected area because a musical phrase would normally have different articulations (like marcato, sfz, etc) inside the same midi item and therefore, corresponding notes shouldn't change their start positions along with legato transitions.

Top Bottom