What's new

Creating your own personal orchestral sample library

Well what comes probably closest to your questions would be Lessions 7 and 8 of his masterclass from
https://www.masterclass.com
it is quite expensive (I think either 99$ for only Hans Zimmer and lifetime access or 150$ per year to access all Classes available).
Part 8 is about him creating synth sounds with Zebra2, isn't really sampling but it is interesting how he approaches his synth sounddesign for anyone who is interested in this stuff.

Lesson 7 I find really interesting because he "shows" his samples (like playing a little with them; not actually shows any program or so). He talks about the musicians he recorded and why it is so great for him to have these players just one key away...
He goes also a little into how to use samples and sounds for specific purposes and how he comes up with/creates these sounds. As well as his promise not to replace real musicians with samples for the final result.
Thats the shortest summary possible as it is a 18 min video full of HZ talking ;).

Whether this has proven a uniqueness when working with directors.
Would it make a difference for him when he hears new work? Would it make a difference for directors?
I'm not sure it was HZ himself, but I remember from another interview or video with a composer that samples have proven for him to be unbelievably helpful with directors and producers because he can show them something and by that convince them that a certain music style or so is needed.
Mainly it was aimed at a movie where the directors didn't want an orchestra but a aggressive band or something like that. By using samples and writing an orchestral track on his computer he was able to convince them that it would be the better fit for the film and the emotional language needed.
Guess it is the same how HZ sees it...

Everything else might be HZ's secrets... but the only person to answer these things would probably be @Rctec himself...:)

Also quite interesting and a lot of talk about samples, musicians and recording is this (found it actually funny and "honoring" that the composer of the worlds best TV Show [being GoT and Ramin Djawadi] imho is german too :2thumbs:):

Last edited:
It's a retro article, but a good one and relevant here.
Hans on creating a sample library back in the day. Answers some of the questions in this thread.
thanks for the link, very very instructive! here from the article:

Pirates6-bncMdrYWcf6jldFXIXvWNaF8vhPUOSCY.jpg

"The simple interface for the 64-bit sampler I developed to play back Hans' custom orchestral library for Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End."

Seems like I should apply for a job or so as it looks like I have too much spare time next to school to spend on this forum right now...

But as I was just looking around the net I stumbled upon this:

https://cdm.link/2012/10/interview-...musical-instruments-hans-zimmer-collaborator/

Is a bit newer and has a little newer photo of what actually seems/seemed to be the sampler of Rctecs team/composers back then:

Attachments

• sam2.jpg
    sam2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
Well what comes probably closest to your questions would be Lessions 7 and 8 of his masterclass from
https://www.masterclass.com
it is quite expensive (I think either 99$ for only Hans Zimmer and lifetime access or 150$ per year to access all Classes available).
Part 8 is about him creating synth sounds with Zebra2, isn't really sampling but it is interesting how he approaches his synth sounddesign for anyone who is interested in this stuff.

Lesson 7 I find really interesting because he "shows" his samples (like playing a little with them; not actually shows any program or so). He talks about the musicians he recorded and why it is so great for him to have these players just one key away...
He goes also a little into how to use samples and sounds for specific purposes and how he comes up with/creates these sounds. As well as his promise not to replace real musicians with samples for the final result.
Thats the shortest summary possible as it is a 18 min video full of HZ talking ;).

I'm not sure it was HZ himself, but I remember from another interview or video with a composer that samples have proven for him to be unbelievably helpful with directors and producers because he can show them something and by that convince them that a certain music style or so is needed.
Mainly it was aimed at a movie where the directors didn't want an orchestra but a aggressive band or something like that. By using samples and writing an orchestral track on his computer he was able to convince them that it would be the better fit for the film and the emotional language needed.
Guess it is the same how HZ sees it...

Everything else might be HZ's secrets... but the only person to answer these things would probably be @Rctec himself...:)

Also quite interesting and a lot of talk about samples, musicians and recording is this (found it actually funny and "honoring" that the composer of the worlds best TV Show [being GoT and Ramin Djawadi] imho is german too :2thumbs:):

Thanks Fretti,

I know these videos, of course. Looks like we are interested in a lot of the same stuff ;)
I could listen to the composer round table forever. Such interesting guys. Ramin Djawadi is amazing. Such a humble guy. Henry Jackman has been one of my favourite composers for a long time as well. I listened to the score for "Kingsman" so much my wife got really annoyed. "Oh, you are listening to that again?" :-D

thanks for the link, very very instructive! here from the article:

Pirates6-bncMdrYWcf6jldFXIXvWNaF8vhPUOSCY.jpg

"The simple interface for the 64-bit sampler I developed to play back Hans' custom orchestral library for Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End."

what a flashback! i remeber being facinated by this on the articles. back then the issue of course was 32 bit limitation on 4gb of sample memory at a time.

I also remeber going to remote control when he was swtiching servers and it was a mountain of dell 1u servers up to my height. just laying in a pile in a corridor. and you can see now studios liketrevor morris (who used to have like 28 computers in one small loud room) and now its one rack.
and then i think it was a video of mike piatty having everything in one mac with bide hosting and adat loopback.
its amazing how tech has advance.

so iam guessing spitfires own sample engine is not a bad idea or might not turn out so bad as compared to play 1-4 that had so many issues at the start and other sample players who coudlnt cut it at the time.

Now i see software like HISE that can be customize and be turned into a standaline player instead of kontakt. and it seems to be a good option.

Not to beat the same drum, but try creating with HISE before you crown it a successor to Kontakt. You gonna create a $100,000 personal library? Go with a proven instrument creator for $200.

Top Bottom