What's new

Creating an LFE track (How to?)

mrd777

Hi everyone,

I know this is a newb question.

Someone wants me to help them make an LFE track. I currently have only a L+R speaker setup.

I would like to know what I need to buy. Do I need a full 5.1 speaker setup? Can I simply buy a subwoofer to supplement my setup?

Any tips or pointers will be helpful!

Btw, I use Cubase 11 Pro, so I have the software.

Thanks!
Mister D

Hi everyone,

I know this is a newb question.

Someone wants me to help them make an LFE track. I currently have only a L+R speaker setup.

I would like to know what I need to buy. Do I need a full 5.1 speaker setup? Can I simply buy a subwoofer to supplement my setup?

Any tips or pointers will be helpful!

Btw, I use Cubase 11 Pro, so I have the software.

Thanks!
Mister D
LFE really only exists in a 5.1+ context, in a 2.1 context the subwoofer is just for bass management (passing off the low freq content to a speaker better suited). There's only going to be LR tracks for normal 2.1 setup, so there's a little more information needed.

Traditionally the LFE is only for non-essential rumbling, as when surround is folded down the LFE track is completely deleted. You could route a L,R, and LFE track easily, but what is going to go down there?

LFE really only exists in a 5.1+ context, in a 2.1 context the subwoofer is just for bass management (passing off the low freq content to a speaker better suited). There's only going to be LR tracks for normal 2.1 setup, so there's a little more information needed.

Traditionally the LFE is only for non-essential rumbling, as when surround is folded down the LFE track is completely deleted. You could route a L,R, and LFE track easily, but what is going to go down there?
But I do need to buy a subwoofer any how to create an LFE track, is that right? Just want to get the ball rolling on the order.

As for your question: They are going to make a 5.1 mix, but want me to help create the LFE track due to some kind of limit they have. They can only mix in 5.0, not 5.1.

I wish I could say more, but that's all I really know. I'm just offering to do the research and help with it.

The issue is having calibrated monitors so you know what you are creating will translate...
Nothing wrong with a 2.1 system but you will need to seperately calibrate your LR and the sub...
There's plenty of info about calibration & calibrated noise WAV files online to do this.

I highly recommend this plugin for generating LFE from existing material - its based on the infamous dbx120 subharmonic (not like LoAir that creates pseudo bass)

But less is more with sub on music, for example if too many subharmonics are added to double bass it can sound like someone playing chords/fifths etc = mud!
SFX/sound design often hogs LFE... sumimasen!

The issue is having calibrated monitors so you know what you are creating will translate...
Nothing wrong with a 2.1 system but you will need to seperately calibrate your LR and the sub...
There's plenty of info about calibration & calibrated noise WAV files online to do this.

I highly recommend this plugin for generating LFE from existing material - its based on the infamous dbx120 subharmonic (not like LoAir that creates pseudo bass)

But less is more with sub on music, for example if too many subharmonics are added to double bass it can sound like someone playing chords/fifths etc = mud!
SFX/sound design often hogs LFE... sumimasen!
Thanks, Tim! I will check out that link.

To be clear, I'm not doing this for music necessarily. It's going to be the LFE track for a film mix itself.

Thanks, Tim! I will check out that link.

To be clear, I'm not doing this for music necessarily. It's going to be the LFE track for a film mix itself.

LFE is usually generated from individual components in the sound design etc, rather than generating it from mixed stems (what is your starting point? 5.0DX 5.0MX 5.0 FX stems?) It is quite a backwards/reverse engineering way of going about it, but I presume thats exactly why you're doing your research

Will the LFE track you create be then taken to a dub stage and combined with the existing 5.0 mix, prior to print mastering and deliveries etc?

If it was me, I would ask to do a test scene or two, and take it to the dub stage to verify your calibration and delivery is correct before proceeding with the entire film... So you dont present a fait accompli that doesn't work or needs remixing...

So the person making the film is able to do a 5.0 mix. They just need my help to create the LFE track to get it to 5.1. Apparently they are limited for some reason. Maybe they don't have a subwoofer. It wasn't made clear to me why.

I will get back to you once I find out more. You have definitely helped me get a better sense of what to do!

LFE is usually generated from individual components in the sound design etc, rather than generating it from mixed stems (what is your starting point? 5.0DX 5.0MX 5.0 FX stems?) It is quite a backwards/reverse engineering way of going about it, but I presume thats exactly why you're doing your research

Will the LFE track you create be then taken to a dub stage and combined with the existing 5.0 mix, prior to print mastering and deliveries etc?

If it was me, I would ask to do a test scene or two, and take it to the dub stage to verify your calibration and delivery is correct before proceeding with the entire film... So you dont present a fait accompli that doesn't work or needs remixing...
Hi Tim,

So it appears, as of now, I'll be given 5 stems. Of course for each satellite speaker. Pre-mixed into each speaker channel/position.

I will then have to route whatever I want, at any given point in the film, to a newly created LFE track.

Ie, I'll have all the film audio. Just need to create an LFE track based on all the given material.

I assume I will just set up a send and add a low end generator like the one you mentioned:
reFuse Software: Lowender

Do you think I need to set up a 5.1 surround for this? I will probably set it up just to be safe anyhow, just to make sure I can listen to the film as the audience intended.

Thanks for your amazing help!

Do you think I need to set up a 5.1 surround for this? I will probably set it up just to be safe anyhow, just to make sure I can listen to the film as the audience intended.

Ideally, of course yes.
You are altering a mix by adding elements afterwards, so I would think you would want to hear what you are doing as best you can, with a calibrated sound system.

And you mean 5.0 stems, not 5 stems

When a film is mixed, it is printed to multiple stems
one 5.1 stem for Dialog DX
one 5.1 stem for Music
one 5.1 stem for SFX/AMB/Foley

These stems are then combined in a mastering pass (print mater) to a single 5.1 mix.
Are you getting THREE x 5.0 (in your case) stems?
or one 5.0 final mix combined stem?

What happens after you finish your work?
Are the stem/s and your LFE additions taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered?
If I was you I would want to know the answer to this question.

If the stem/s and your LFE additions ARE taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered, then there is a final check of your work & the final soundtrack.

If the stem/s and your LFE additions ARE NOIT taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered, then there is a possibility that you are doing the final pass, in which case I personally would not touch the project.

ALSO: I will add, I am not a film rerecording mixer. I have been sound designer & supervised on many (40+) films but the work you are doing is that of a rerecording mixer, and I would suggest asking your question at that GearSpace Post forum, as there are many film rerecording mixers there & they would be far better to advise you than I am. I don't see re-recording mixers on VI Forum.

Ideally, of course yes.
You are altering a mix by adding elements afterwards, so I would think you would want to hear what you are doing as best you can, with a calibrated sound system.

And you mean 5.0 stems, not 5 stems

When a film is mixed, it is printed to multiple stems
one 5.1 stem for Dialog DX
one 5.1 stem for Music
one 5.1 stem for SFX/AMB/Foley

These stems are then combined in a mastering pass (print mater) to a single 5.1 mix.
Are you getting THREE x 5.0 (in your case) stems?
or one 5.0 final mix combined stem?

What happens after you finish your work?
Are the stem/s and your LFE additions taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered?
If I was you I would want to know the answer to this question.

If the stem/s and your LFE additions ARE taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered, then there is a final check of your work & the final soundtrack.

If the stem/s and your LFE additions ARE NOIT taken to a proper film dub stage & print mastered, then there is a possibility that you are doing the final pass, in which case I personally would not touch the project.

ALSO: I will add, I am not a film rerecording mixer. I have been sound designer & supervised on many (40+) films but the work you are doing is that of a rerecording mixer, and I would suggest asking your question at that GearSpace Post forum, as there are many film rerecording mixers there & they would be far better to advise you than I am. I don't see re-recording mixers on VI Forum.

I see what you mean.

So, yes, I understand that this role is definitely outside of my role as a composer. The film is NOT going to theater. Simply releasing for home/streaming.

I already told them there is no way I would attempt to mix anything for theater, and they understand this. They will have to hire an engineer for that, if it ever made it there.

Essentially, they are going to package (print master, as you said) the LFE track and all the other channels and simply have it ready for streaming. The final mix is going to be played back and approved in a small room setting.

Essentially, they are going to package (print master, as you said) the LFE track and all the other channels and simply have it ready for streaming. The final mix is going to be played back and approved in a small room setting.

I hope they appreciate eg Netflix have very strict mix specs and quality control.
So "ready for streaming" can easily still be rejected if mix specs are incorrect etc...

I was happy to never be a rerecording mixer, because the final responsibility lies with them for mix delivery that will pass all QC checks.

Good luck, but do check with Gearspace mixers/do a search there - it may have been discussed previously

Top Bottom