What's new

Creating a Comprehensive List of Recorder Sample Libraries

sprt

lurkmeister
I've been on the search for a good recorder library, and honestly it's been really tough even finding them. One of the hardest things to google, because of the 'unfortunate' name and lack of online lists. With that said, can we just huddle up and put together a complete list of availabilities? This is what I've got so far.

Comprehensive List of Recorder Sample Libraries:

KONTAKT
Standalone:

- Renaissance Flutes
- VSL Recorders
- Westgate Recorders Modular Series
- Nyx's Recorder
- Marcos Ciscar Trinity Recorders & Fairy Tale Recorder
- Embertone Ivory Wind
- Embertone Recorders
- Suonopuro Recorder
- Walid Feghali: Feroyn’s Flute
- Legatone S Legato Recorder
- Legatone S Legato Alto Recorder
- KonKon Recorder
- World Rabbit Poor Recorders
- Sonic Zest Tenor Recorder (only available through their complete bundle?)
- Garklein Recorder
- The Almost Cool Recorder
- RJS Lofi Recorder
- Recorder Choir (sort of)
- Emotional Recorder (April Fools library)
- Mihai Sorohan Yamaha Soprano Recorder

Part of another package:

- Rinascimento
- Chamber Orchestra
- Kontakt Factory Library
- Luft
- ERA II Medieval Legends

Misc

- Tek’it Audio RECsoprano
- Versilian Community Sample Library Baroque Recorders (Kontakt version exists, but it's not available publicly yet)
#Edit: For some reason Marcos Ciscar breaks the links :emoji_joy:
#Edit 2: Replaced the store links with his official site

Last edited:
ProjectSAM Lumina has a good set of legato + staccato recorders (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) that sound very good to my ears. Usually my go-to. Lumina usually comes on sale a few times a year. The only cons is that they're a little limited. The S,A,T,B recorders are legato patches, the recorder staccatos is its own standalone patch.

OT Miroire has alto.
I like how Vsl's sound, but it seems they don't have as many articulation as we might like. Which would you recommend for period music?

Normally I love everything vsl. But I'm not a big fan of the recorders that I bought. Too limited in articulations. What it does it does well, but recorders speak recorder language, and need tu, ru, du etc attacks. Some aleatoric would have been nice too, tongue flutters, overblown shorts etc.

I realize the purpose of this thread is to compile a list, but is it also OK to ask, here, which recorder libraries are considered the best or favorites by those who've at least heard various demos, if not from personal experience using them?

(I've already noted the vote for ProjectSAM Lumina.) 😊

I have VI recorders. I love their sound the most. Not many artics. They are dry which I prefer for small ensembles. Vsl libs usually enable custom trills if that's important to you.
From OT I have only Miroire oboe. I assume recorders behave similarly in terms of placing and flexibility. The sound is nice, but I wouldn't try to use it with Mir or Inspirata. Trills are less flexible but probably sound more realistic.
Embertone's feel like their main focus is not classical music. To me they are recorders equivalent of Claire series from 8dio.
In short: Vsl for period music flavor, OT for adding recorder color to larger ensembles, Embertone for lyrical, pastoral.

I have VI recorders. I love their sound the most. Not many artics. They are dry which I prefer for small ensembles. Vsl libs usually enable custom trills if that's important to you.
From OT I have only Miroire oboe. I assume recorders behave similarly in terms of placing and flexibility. The sound is nice, but I wouldn't try to use it with Mir or Inspirata. Trills are less flexible but probably sound more realistic.
Embertone's feel like their main focus is not classical music. To me they are recorders equivalent of Claire series from 8dio.
In short: Vsl for period music flavor, OT for adding recorder color to larger ensembles, Embertone for lyrical, pastoral.
This is very helpful. Thanks.

When you say you have "VI recorders," I read that as "virtual instrument recorders." But did you mean something else? You say you "love their sound the most," so I assume you meant a specific library. But it's unclear which.

Last edited:
Sorry. Vienna Instruments Recorders by VSL. VI is their older series. There is also updated version Synchronized Recorders. They use the same samples, probably tweaked a little bit, they added IRs and you open them in new Synchron player. VI is still good if you don't need the sound of the hall.
There is still place in the market for deep sampled recorders, especially for those lower than bass. Also, for modern quirky artics, for example played with Paetzolds. I think they would be great match for Insanity Samples.

Sorry. Vienna Instruments Recorders by VSL. VI is their older series. There is also updated version Synchronized Recorders. They use the same samples, probably tweaked a little bit, they added IRs and you open them in new Synchron player. VI is still good if you don't need the sound of the hall.
There is still place in the market for deep sampled recorders, especially for those lower than bass. Also, for modern quirky artics, for example played with Paetzolds. I think they would be great match for Insanity Samples.
Fantastic. Thank you.

Top Bottom