What's new

"Create Pro" - Custom Mac Upgrades

rogercollege

Anyone have experience with Create Pro?

I've read a few things here and there about their video cards but nothing really substantial from users about their processor/RAM upgrade service or products. The guys at Pro Tools Expert seem to love them.

What are the best and most reliable Mac upgrade options...other than DIY?

(Looking to potentially upgrade my 2009 MacPro 4,1 - 2.26Ghz - 2 processor - 8 core with 32 GB Ram)

I have that same machine and I've been thinking about getting CreatePro to upgrade it too. Quite a few people seem to have used them for their machines. I know some folks have done the processor upgrade themselves without issue.

I've mostly been worried about sinking so much money into a 7 year old machine.

I've had a processor upgrade done recently to my early 2009 MacPro by a company in Germany called tronicspot.
It used to be 8-core and now it's a 12 core 2 x 3,33 Ghz - I found the 3,46 processors too expensive for the minimal increase in power.
I'm totally happy with it so far - I only had to re-authorize a few NI-libraries, I think. Cheaper than that british place, too...
I was in the market for a trashcan but I hated the idea of putting another brushed aluminum nightstand in my bedroom.
I can only recommend it!

It works for some people, just like to toss out a friendly reminder that starting with Sierra this month Apple will stop supporting some of the older Mac Pro's. If you can live with not being able to install os updates, updates to Logic, and other applications etc sooner than later along with no thunderbolt, the noise and higher power usage just keep that in mind when making your decision.

I upgraded my 2009 4,1 8-Core to a 12 Core 3.46 a year or so ago. I did it myself with a kit from ebay for about $600. It's been working great.

The question is the computer thinks it's a 2010 5,1 now with the firmware update. So will Sierra see it as a 2010 as well? Otherwise I'll just have to stay with El Capitan.

The question is the computer thinks it's a 2010 5,1 now with the firmware update. So will Sierra see it as a 2010 as well? Otherwise I'll just have to stay with El Capitan.

According to tests from various tech websites, the answer seems to be YES - Sierra will work.
From all their testing, Sierra is probably not capable of "investigating" anything else than only the Firmware version. If it recognises 5,1 it does install. I will test myself very soon and report back.

Top Bottom