What's new

Composition Feedback

BMurphyMusic

Hi VI community,

I’ve composed an orchestration piece using Audio Imperia’s nucleus.

You can check it out here:

I’ve been learning and practicing this style of composing since the new year, and feel this piece is my best work so far (respectively speaking). Whilst working on this, some techniques I’ve been working on have felt like they’ve come together in this piece.

Still lots to learn, still lots to try but would love for anyone to have a listen and give some genuine feedback.

Its only a basic mix, nothing overly fancy!

Are you kidding? You're composing only three months and did a piece like that? Did you have any composition experience in other genres?

What can I say? Hats off! This is by far more than a great start.

It begins very sparse and builds up slowly. At some points melody and harmony don't fit that well together, e.g. 0:28 - 0:50. I think you've used the 3rd of the chord as the bass (which isn't "bad" in general). Then a beautiful turn at 0:50. The brass introduced at 0:57 does not work with that articulation. It has far too much attack for this more lyrical line. Use legato/sustain instead. Nice introduction of percussion and choir. Try to use more than one voice for the choir.

Keep on, I'm interested in your next pieces.

Are you kidding? You're composing only three months and did a piece like that? Did you have any composition experience in other genres?

What can I say? Hats off! This is by far more than a great start.

It begins very sparse and builds up slowly. At some points melody and harmony don't fit that well together, e.g. 0:28 - 0:50. I think you've used the 3rd of the chord as the bass (which isn't "bad" in general). Then a beautiful turn at 0:50. The brass introduced at 0:57 does not work with that articulation. It has far too much attack for this more lyrical line. Use legato/sustain instead. Nice introduction of percussion and choir. Try to use more than one voice for the choir.

Keep on, I'm interested in your next pieces.
Thank you for your comment - I really appreciate the feedback and supportive words!

I should have probably mentioned that I play guitar professionally, so I do have a musical background.:emoji_sweat_smile: I though it wouldn't add much as composing for orchestra is so foreign to me! I'm very much learning 'on the job', so to speak.

Your feedback is super helpful - I thought the articulation in the brass at 0:57 was hit or miss so will definitely experiment with a different approach when I go back to the DAW mock-up.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom