What's new

"CL" - Critiques Welcome

ka00

Patent Pending
Here's a song I made today. As you can tell, I love Thomas Newman.

I still can't find a non-vib violin legato I like, so I end up layering things and don't always love the results. Anyway, here you go. Harsh critiques welcome and any comments much appreciated. Thanks!

I believe the clicks and pops are from CinemorphX. It doesn't like frequent tempo changes I think. [edit: got rid of the clicks using iZotope RX]

Last edited:
I really like the piece! Probably it is because I love the abstract type of music, but I can't really criticize anything here. But here are my ideas how to make the piece better:

1. Structure. I think the piece could be better if the theme at 0:15 to 0:42 was played by the woodwind section. Or by very soft strings, probably con sordino with p-pp-mp dynamics. Just to add a little bit of development to the piece in the timbre aspect.

2. I feel like I as a listener need a bridge part between the piano theme (0:50+) and the main theme (1:15+). I feel like it has to be tense and hard on dissonances, but rhythmicaly very similar to the main theme. And this tension should be resolved when the main theme starts.

3. Free up the harmonic space for your horns (1:31+) and make them reverb-y and wide as fuck :D It will add color to the piece I think. And I think it will be great if you'll add a little bit of rhythmical harmonic elements in the lower register for your WWs (basson+clarinet and p dynamics).

Hope this helps!

Thank you, @Grim_Universe, for your critique! I think this is great feedback and I will work on how to best incorporate your different suggestions which should be quite helpful.

Here's a song I made today. As you can tell, I love Thomas Newman.

I still can't find a non-vib violin legato I like, so I end up layering things and don't always love the results. Anyway, here you go. Harsh critiques welcome and any comments much appreciated. Thanks!

I believe the clicks and pops are from CinemorphX. It doesn't like frequent tempo changes I think.

I really like your work.

I think the strings work beautifully in the opening.

Thanks, Simon! The feeling is mutual. I always look forward to the compositions you post.

Thanks to you Kaan and to Mike for this great treat! Can’t wait to hear/learn how the piece evolves following this excellent feedback...

Top Bottom