What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings

Actually, Zhao I think you were right the first time. I just downloaded and checked the MIDI and it looks like to me the the Audio file is a rendering of the CSSS Solo Cello. I think the reason it's an audio file is because obviously noone has that library yet so it would be pointless supplying the MIDI alone (although the midi is there too).

And you're right, it sounds really really nice.

Here's a version of it with the solo cello boosted quite a bit to hear clearer...I added a touch of EMT 140 for a shiny reverb.

I read also it is a live cello in the recording

It might happen sooner than we expect, which would be wonderful, especially if they have already been recorded/sampled and edited and are in the tweaking, scripting, and other details stage. Alex might have been working on producing these libraries for some years following the release of CS2. He mentioned that in some of his replies in the past. But, it was a total mystery at that time.

I was told in an email that they were busy working on Solo Strings and Brass right now, and they are up next for release. I believe recording is done and they are in scripting.

I'm quite sure that cello is sampled, unless my ears are deceiving me. You can hear the slurred legato transitions are pretty continuous throughout, yet the sound stays intense the whole time. Real cello players don't have infinite bow lengths! :grin:

Just got these strings, they are truly amazing. Best library I've used in years. Question 1: mod wheel low values seem to have less vibrato (which is a good thing), and as you ramp up the mod wheel there is more vibrato (along with greater dynamic expression). Am I understanding this correctly? Question 2: cc2 controls the crossfade between non-vibrato and vibrato (too?), but at its lowest settings vibrato is minimal but notes lose their sustain and cut out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Question 3: How does cc2 crossfade vibrato work in conjunction with vibrato intensity from the mod wheel? Thx.

Just got these strings, they are truly amazing. Best library I've used in years. Question 1: mod wheel low values seem to have less vibrato (which is a good thing), and as you ramp up the mod wheel there is more vibrato (along with greater dynamic expression). Am I understanding this correctly? Question 2: cc2 controls the crossfade between non-vibrato and vibrato (too?), but at its lowest settings vibrato is minimal but notes lose their sustain and cut out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Question 3: How does cc2 crossfade vibrato work in conjunction with vibrato intensity from the mod wheel? Thx.

Have to agree with you...in my opinion this library sounds marvelous, one of the best, if not the best I've heard so far.
About your 2nd question, a bug as been identified and Alex will fix that in a future update.

:dancer:

The Cinematic Studio Piano in comparison performs very well, see video below. Cinematic Studio Piano offers great quality for a very reasonable price point.

All out of the box, that means no EQ and reverb applied.

The Hammersmith Grand (PROFESSIONAL EDITION)
Broken Wurli
AGE Piano
Stage 73 (EP73 DECONSTRUCTED)
8Dio 1928
Piano in Blue
Cinematic Studio Piano (CSP)
Intimate Piano-Cosy
Intimate Piano
Alicias Keys
Piano in 162

Another example to help you to get your head around if you want to buy the Cinematic Studio Piano. The Cinematic Studio Strings should be a now brainer and IMHO the piano as well)

Cinematic Studio Piano compared with:
+ 8Dio 1928
+ 8Dio AGE Piano
+ Alicias Keys
+ Piano in Blue
+ Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark I Piano
+ Spitfire Labs - Bedlam Piano
+ Spitfire Felt Piano
+ Intimate Piano
+ Piano in 162
+ Iowa Piano
+ Skerratt London Piano

All are out of the box, no EQ changes or reverb added. Please keep in mind that EQ and reverb would change the pianos used drastically and the ones that may not sound so nice to your ear could become much more pleasing to your ears.

Finally, I post my first try with Cinematic Studio Strings, it's really an awesome library. I also work with Hollywood string for few years, but I can say that with CSS, at long last a huge step has been taken in the virtual string libraries field. It is my first impressions after having worked with it today. P.S. I plan to post a version with a real choir soon, so, keep tuned.

Finally, I post my first try with Cinematic Studio Strings, it's really an awesome library. I also work with Hollywood string for few years, but I can say that with CSS, at long last a huge step has been taken in the virtual string libraries field. It is my first impressions after having worked with it today. P.S. I plan to post a version with a real choir soon, so, keep tuned.

Wow, these strings sounds really expressive and emotional... and beautiful composition!

Beautiful writing, Anthony! Excellent performance, as well! It is very refreshing to hear music like this in demoes. CSS is evidently also very well suited for more poetic music. Bravo!

:2thumbs:

Beautiful work, I was wondering did you do any EQ or reverb on this?

Thank you guys for your kind words. The demo I've posted here is purelly out of the box. No EQ, no reverb at all, only the sound of CSS. You need to work a few hours with cc1 and this is the result. I'm actually working on the real choir + orchestra version and I can tell you that it sounds totally amazing to my ears. I think I will post an extract tomorrow. I never had such sound before. To those who still hesitate to buy this vst, do not hesitate anymore, it's really worth the price (and I don't work for Cinematic Studio Series) ;).

This said, I don't know if CSS is suitable for all style of music like, for example epic style music. I haven't tested this. It's new for me and I hope that I don't get over enthusiastic. In every case, for my music style it's good.

@Anthony: Did you need to turn legato on and off during the piece, or could you do this with one setting throughout?

Is this con sordino? :blush:

Top Bottom