What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

@Alex W and all:

Do you also have strong volume jumps in the ensemble legato patch (not in the normal sustains) when violins 1+2 are added? (F#3 to G3 to G#3 and above) ... I don't remember this being the case in version 1.5 🤔 If you disable Violin1+Violin2, the transition from bass to cello to viola is perfect with no volume jumps. Is it because of the new mic positions and panning while V1.5 was all centered? I have to lower the microphone volume a bit for violin2 and much more for violin1 to get a smooth crossfade. Unfortunately, I deleted V1.5 because I haven't done any important projects with it. So I can't compare it myself right now.

@Alex W and all:

Do you also have strong volume jumps in the ensemble legato patch (not in the normal sustains) when violins 1+2 are added? (F#3 to G3 to G#3 and above) ... I don't remember this being the case in version 1.5 🤔 If you disable Violin1+Violin2, the transition from bass to cello to viola is perfect with no volume jumps. Is it because of the new mic positions and panning while V1.5 was all centered? I have to lower the microphone volume a bit for violin2 and much more for violin1 to get a smooth crossfade. Unfortunately, I deleted V1.5 because I haven't done any important projects with it. So I can't compare it myself right now.
That doesn't sound right, if you could please pm me an MP3 example that would be very helpful, I'll see if I can recreate what you're getting.

@Alex W - I know it is getting late over there and all. Just wanted to check. My Native Access shows the update as "1.5"

Does that sound right?
Hmm, can you PM me a screenshot of what you can see? Also just to clarify, are you looking in the "updates" section? If so, that's not where you download 1.7 - it must be done by right-clicking on CSS and selecting "Reinstall".

For all being as dumb as me: You do not have to right click on the word "Cinematic Studio Strings" in Native Access but hover over the words "Full Version" on the far right. Then "Full Version" will turn to "Reinstall". Took me 10 Minutes to find out and I am am perhaps not the only one :)

Hmm, can you PM me a screenshot of what you can see? Also just to clarify, are you looking in the "updates" section? If so, that's not where you download 1.7 - it must be done by right-clicking on CSS and selecting "Reinstall".
I'll find you a screenshot (sorry back at work and the music machine is not accessible for a bit) but the 1.5 tag was indeed right under the "reinstall" section, and the library size was showing approx 45gb and not 48gb. I should have a screenshot with you in about 15 mins!

For all being as dumb as me: You do not have to right click on the word "Cinematic Studio Strings" in Native Access but hover over the words "Full Version" on the far right. Then "Full Version" will turn to "Reinstall". Took me 10 Minutes to find out and I am am perhaps not the only one :)
This is the correct way.

Hello everyone. I would like to check something. I'm trying to update CSS and it says on the progress bar that the size is 45.25Gb. It's currently downloading. However, certain users have mentioned 48Gb and I want to make sure I'm downloading v 1.7 instead of the 1.5 all over again. The internet speed here in Myanmar right now is horrible and I don't want to spend 12 hours of download time only come back to v 1.5. Can someone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I would like to check something. I'm trying to update CSS and it says on the progress bar that the size is 45.25Gb. It's currently downloading. However, certain users have mentioned 48Gb and I want to make sure I'm downloading v 1.7 instead of the 1.5 all over again. The internet speed here in Myanmar right now is horrible and I don't want to spend 12 hours of download time only come back to v 1.5. Can someone help me out here? Thanks in advance.
Hi there - not to worry, you're definitely downloading the new one - the download is 45GB, because it's slightly compressed. (For peace of mind, the old version was never available via Native Access, so it cannot possibly be the old one)

Hi there - not to worry, you're definitely downloading the new one - the download is 45GB, because it's slightly compressed. (For peace of mind, the old version was never available via Native Access, so it cannot possibly be the old one)
Thank you for the info Alex. I just became a CSS user quite recently and to say that I'm very impressed would be an incredible understatement. I love the library. And I can't wait to try out this update. Really appreciate the efforts of you and your team.

The new legato is so much more playable, absolutely loving it. All instruments' spiccati however have a very abrupt cutoff. Was this always the case and I'm just not remembering this from 1.5? Sforzando, staccato and staccatissimo tails are fine.

The new legato is so much more playable, absolutely loving it. All instruments' spiccati however have a very abrupt cutoff. Was this always the case and I'm just not remembering this from 1.5? Sforzando, staccato and staccatissimo tails are fine.
You still have the original to compare this?

Thanks very much for your feedback - I'm glad you like the new legato :)

The spiccatos are a bit different now - allow me to explain. In the original version, I had layered them with the Staccatissimo samples playing behind them (at a lower volume), which gave them a bit more of a "hyped" sound, and the staccatissimo portion of the sound is what you're hearing "ring out". But as of v1.7, I disabled the stacking, so now you're just hearing the pure spiccato sample. Since the spiccato samples were spliced from phrases, which gives them more energy, it means that sometimes the ambience may end more noticeably when heard in an exposed context. Most of the time you won't notice this, especially during fast / repetitive phrases where they shine, but in times when you do notice (eg at the end of an exposed phrase), try triggering a staccatissimo sample instead - these samples have the entire ambience captured in isolation, and will ring out in full. Either that, or a splash of reverb also helps smooth things out in this regard.

So it's a slight adjustment, and may require that you alter your sequencing a little here and there, but I think the end result is much more authentic and realistic. Spiccato is much softer than on-the-string techniques like staccatissimo, staccato etc. Spiccatos now excel when you do what is done in a film score mix - crank up the spot mics a bit when you have a prominent spiccato phrase. Doing this will bring out all the improvements and detail in the sound, and the short notes (especially the spiccatos) sound more punchy, crispy and more realistic as a result, imo. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
In case it helps anyone - My install ended up in the "Native Instruments" folder as opposed to where I usually have it. I just copied it to the correct folder then updated the path in Native Access.

Top Bottom