What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

Quick question.
Are the legato transition delays for the 3 different transitions in the new expressive mode the same as in the previous version advanced mode?
Currently mostly work with the advanced legato and have a macro in Cubase which sets back the 3 different legato transitions at once according to their velocity so if they are the same delays that would make for an easy transition although I’m curious about the low latency mode as well!

Also, are all the keyswitches the same in this version?

Thanks
Yep, the delays for Expressive mode are the same as Advanced. Keyswitches are all the same except for the Legato keyswitch - it used to be A#0, but now it's G#0 by default, to line up with CSW. I'll be changing that for CSSS and CSB too for their v1.7 updates.

Also just a reminder about the legato keyswitch - you can change this by holding shift and clicking on the legato switch itself, on the GUI, then press the new key you'd like it to be (A#0 if you want to change it back to its original setting). Re-saving the patch after doing this will store the new keyswitch assignment.

It would be cool to implement this magic script, Alex! It's so wonderful to write music to the beat. A dream! And any delay does not interfere, since you do not need to shift the notes. It works great. If you create such a button in the interface, it will be a masterpiece of world culture!
Thank you Alex❤️
Sorry, but the thought of adding delays, compensation, switches and settings to an already very complex script is truly the stuff of nightmares! So I'm not going to say "absolutely never", but I am going to say "probably never". Sorry about that!

Last edited:
Can I ask what version of Kontakt this update runs on, as I am on Kontakt 6.6 still as 6.7 wont install on my Mac and the cost of upgrading involves new graphics card, new system and new audio interface due to incompatible drivers
v1.7 runs on Kontakt 5.8.1 onwards. :)

I can't believe how much this rules. I've been patiently waiting for this runs mode for ages, and now it comes out along with a comprehensive overhaul of pretty much every aspect of what is already my most used strings lib? And it's free? Thanks so much for this Alex, you are the best!

@Alex W : thanks a lot for this fantastic upgrade in advance!

One question: If I save the actual version as "CSS original" does it mean that if I open a recent project (with the older version) that it will ask for the samples? Or does it load the actual version and I have to manually reload the old samples?
Thanks! Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "actual" version. Just to clarify, are you referring to the new version?

That's the best I've heard! Any chance of the midi getting shared for that as well, as a tutorial on the best way to do runs in the new CSS?
No it was just a bit of fun really, but I am planning on creating some new MIDI tutorial material soon, since the previous MIDI files I released for the original version will no longer apply / work properly in v1.7.

So.... what kind of timeframe are we thinking for the CSB/et al 1.7 updates? I know, I know, I don't expect anything remotely specific. Just wondering if you've been working on updating all the libraries in parallel and are trying to get them out pretty close together, or if we should expect a significant wait between each. And if the latter, in what order.

I'm also wondering just what the heck you could be updating in CSB. Timing seems plenty fast to me and the sound is gorgeous. How does it get better? The same mic splitting perhaps?

Hey Simon, no no, don't delete! It'll be "live" on August 30 (probably around 10am UTC / GMT)
No, sorry - I should have put this in the release notes (I was going to but totally forgot). The new version requires about 13 more GB than the previous version. v1.7 takes ~48GB after installation, but you actually need ~125GB of free space on your target drive during installation - this is a requirement of the Native Access system.

If you have more than 48GB but less than 125GB of free space on your target drive, I believe it's possible to change the target drive in the NA options, then download to that drive, and then move the fully downloaded "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder over to its normal location. So, if you're like me and have a couple of large-yet-slow mechanical external drives for general backup purposes, you could use that to download the library to, and then move the entire CSS folder to where Native Access expects it to be afterwards.

I'll look into this some more and report back with further info. This is the first time we've distributed a library via NA, so I'll ask you to bear with me for the first couple of days while we figure it all out together. :) Generally speaking though, as long as you have 125GB free on your target drive, you should be able to just right-click on CSS in NA, click "re-install" and NA should do the rest.
Unfortunately Native Access is seriously stupid - at least on Mac - and will as far as I know ONLY download to your boot system drive. No matter what you set in preferences.

Unfortunately Native Access is seriously stupid - at least on Mac - and will as far as I know ONLY download to your boot system drive. No matter what you set in preferences.
I've noticed it seems that only Mac users are affected - I've been able to redirect the downloads to whichever external drives I want them to on PC.

Wow, this is great. I never fell in love with CSS.
Perhaps this time will be the time it actually happens!

Low latency legato sounds great, just like the one we already have in CSW.

Is there any reason one would prefer to use the Expressive Legato over the low latency one? I can't think of any..

Top Bottom