What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

Thank you for this fantastic update!
The improvements sound really great and the marcato seems especially fun - can't wait to play around with that. And I would also pay for an update like that...

There are many subtle yet substantive differences between the original CSS and v1.7. So if you open an old project, and simply swap out the old patches for the new ones, it won't sound right. The new legato mode (low latency mode anyway) has different timing, the short notes have a slightly different dynamic curve and so on. So please make sure you keep the original version for times when you need to open older pieces.
Hey Alex. Thank you very much for the update.

I still have the original version (not updated at all). Do I need to install the earlier updates, or is it possible to upgrade straight to 1.7?

What if we just (after duplicating) renamed the old folder back to original and rename the new CSS- folder instead as, say, "Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7"?

Shouldn't it now work in a way that all older projects would search for the original folder while the new ones (which we haven't even started yet) would accept any path as it's a "new library"?
Hmm that's a good question. Honestly, this is the first library we've released via Native Access, so it's a bit of a learning curve for us too. I know that the process that I've outlined will work, but I can't guarantee the success of your option there, sorry!

Hey Alex. Thank you very much for the update.

I still have the original version (not updated at all). Do I need to install the earlier updates, or is it possible to upgrade straight to 1.7?
No, v1.7 is a complete replacement of any / all previous versions. This is why I recommend backing up whatever version you have, in accordance with the instructions on page 1. Thanks!

Hi Alex ,

Could you please go into a little more detail about what Low Latency legato is?

I understood that the previous "Advanced" Legato in CSS has three transition types with varying attack times, selected by velocity.

What about the new Low latency legato?

Cool, thanks Alex, and I can see how that could open a whole can of worms. For me actually I realized since I run it in VEPro, I can just keep the previous version installed on that machine for a while, and run the new version on my DAW machine. 😉

Oh, and by the way, amazing update! It sounds phenomenal.
Seems like you have a solution, but just to elaborate on this: @Alex W in your explanation you’re basically swapping directories, as I understand it? Maybe some helper script could be made, one to swap from old to new and vice versa?

Hi Alex ,

Could you please go into a little more detail about what Low Latency legato is?

I understood that the previous "Advanced" Legato in CSS has three transition types with varying attack times, selected by velocity.

What about the new Low latency legato?
Hi there, low-latency legato is basically just the same concept as what's already there, except with less delay. I first introduced this in CSW, except I've improved the realism since then, and all of the other libraries (including CSW) will see the same improvements when they get their own "v1.7" release.

Exciting stuff! A more "oomph"-y marcato + integrated runs mode sounds awesome.

I'm most curious about the low-latency legato, as well. I guess it's similar to the fast legato, just ... "ultra fast"? so all legato notes still have to be nudged a little bit, compared to every first note of a phrase?

Perhaps the low latency legato gets close to the -60ms delay of the shorts, so you could set your track to -60ms track delay and have the shorts + legatos in time if they were quantized to the grid (but the non-legato sustains would be a tad too early)?

So will low-latency legato be on the grid with the shorts? Is there a global track latency offset that you are recommending?
No, there's no global setting as such, but it certainly has more delay than the shorts. However I think that once you use it for a little while, you'll get used to the way it handles phrases in realtime. Any editing after recording should be pretty minimal, and if you do want to quantise it, I'm sure that would work fine too, as long as you nudge the legato notes back a bit afterwards (or apply a global delay to that track).

Any promo price on August 30th for new user? :laugh:

I’ve heard so many good things about css but never pull the trigger due to the latency in legato, the low latency mode makes me excited.

Reactions: KJL
Hi @Alex W ,

I would love it if you can provide Pitchbend control for the next CSSS Update. This will be a big help, and improvement to perform authentic vibrato instead of baked in/sampled vibrato. Those of us who use hand-gesture, breath, ring, and other types of external controllers can take advantage of them to generate our own expressive real time generated vibrato, with varying speed, and amount. Something the baked in/sampled option would not offer.

Hopefully this is not too much of a feature to ask for in your CSSS Update. Solo Strings will sound super expressive and realistic if you can just add this little feature in the update.

Thank You,
Muziksculp

Any promo price on August 30th for new user? :laugh:

I’ve heard so many good things about css but never pull the trigger due to the latency in legato, the low latency mode makes me excited.
@holywilly ,

I can't believe you don't have CSS. This is the perfect time to get it, given the low-latency mode in the ver 1.7 update, plus all of the other improvements. Go for it. Of course, a promo price will be a no brainer, but even if there isn't one, I would highly recommend CSS, and CSSS (once it is updated). Including the other CS-Series (Brass, Woodwinds), not sure when the CSP will materialize.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi @Alex W ,

I would love it if you can provide Pitchbend control for the next CSSS Update. This will be a big help, and improvement to perform authentic vibrato instead of baked in/sampled vibrato. Those of us who use hand-gesture, breath, ring, and other types of external controllers can take advantage of them to generate our own expressive real time generated vibrato, with varying speed, and amount. Something the baked in/sampled option would not offer.

Hopefully this is not too much of a feature to ask for in your CSSS Update. Solo Strings will sound super expressive and realistic if you can just add this little feature in the update.

Thank You,
Muziksculp
That's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid I won't be able to add pitch bending to our libraries, as it doesn't fit in with the design, and generally causes more problems than you might think in libraries recorded in a large, ambient space. I did actually look into this about 15 years ago - I tried implementing a faked vibrato system, but I ultimately concluded that it didn't sound good enough because of the nature of ambient recordings. I think you'd be better off trying this technique with libraries recorded in small / dry spaces, as you won't run into the issues that exist when applying blanket pitch bending to mic setups at varying distances from the sound source. Thanks!

Bit of a brain teaser this one... Almost all my projects up until now have CSS in them. Has anyone come up with a time saving solution to avoid CSS old new ping pong? Mornings a new project where I would love to use the fantastic sounding update, later an older project, a little later a newer one. Phew!!! I really appreciate the hard work that’s gone into the 1.7 version... so thanks for that:) But it would be great if a more elegant solution for using old and new projects was possible.

Top Bottom