What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings v1.7 - Available August 30!

Alex W

*** Attention! The new version will be available via Native Access from 10am 30 August (UTC/GMT). Please read this info carefully before installing this update, as the new version of CSS is not compatible with any DAW projects saved prior to updating. To open those projects, you will need to back up the original version of CSS before updating - more info on that below.

Hi Everyone! I’m very excited to be able to share this new version of Cinematic Studio Strings with you. The new CSS “Version 1.7” is the result of 2 years of painstaking work. There are added features like runs and low-latency legato - almost every aspect of the library has been improved, from the sound quality itself, to the editing consistency and scripting, and much more.

More details on that below, but first, please read the following points carefully before proceeding with the update:

• This update is designed to completely replace the previous version, therefore your old projects will not work properly. Do not update if you are in the middle of a project.

• If you would like to be able to open old projects, you will need to keep the previous version of Cinematic Studio Strings as a backup.

• The easiest way to create a backup is to do a search for your current "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder, make a copy of it right next to it, and rename the copied folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings original". (See image)

• After you have created the backup, run Native Access and locate "Cinematic Studio Strings" among your list of installed libraries. Right-click on Cinematic Studio Strings and select "Re-install".

• Native Access will download the new version of Cinematic Studio Strings. When this is finished, you should be able to re-open Kontakt, load a patch as per normal, and begin using version 1.7! You'll know that you're using the new version if you can see two separate Spot mics on the mixer. (See image)

In Summary: You need to copy your current Cinematic Studio Strings folder and rename the copy to “Cinematic Studio Strings original” (or whatever name you choose). Then, right-click on “Cinematic Studio Strings” in Native Access and select "Re-install", and when that has finished, re-open Kontakt. Load a patch, it will be the new version (if there are mixer faders for “Spot 1” and “Spot 2”, you’ll know you’re using the new version).

If you ever need to open an old project that was saved prior to updating, please follow these simple steps:

1. Rename the newly downloaded "Cinematic Studio Strings" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings new”
  2. Rename the "Cinematic Studio Strings original" folder to "Cinematic Studio Strings”
  3. Open your old project, it should load without issue.

What’s new in Version 1.7?

Marcato mode (including runs)

The new marcato articulation is much more powerful - it’s punchy, full of energy and grit, and can easily pull off fast, agile phrases with minimal editing. Play harder on the keyboard for a more pronounced attack, or to exaggerate a note within a legato phrase. You can play a snappy series of short notes, or a slower, more grand series of accented long notes. Playing a fast legato line will trigger the runs mode - you don’t need to enable anything or switch anything on or off - just play fast, and the script will do the rest for great-sounding runs.

Better sound

The new mix mic is roomier, yet more detailed - lush, yet powerful. I spent a long time getting this balance right, and I feel that this mix should work well in a wide variety of styles and genres. Having said that, I really encourage you to experiment with the two spot microphones. These were mixed together into a single stereo track in the original version of CSS, but in version 1.7, you can now control them independently, allowing you much greater freedom to create your own customised sound.

Low Latency legato

I spent a (very) long time re-editing all of the legato transition samples, not only to significantly improve the timing, but also to ensure a more consistent volume envelope. This makes sequencing legato easier, particularly because it lessens the need for intensive “sculpting” of the dynamic modulation. In addition to these two factors, I also introduced a new “Low latency” mode, making it much easier to perform passages in real-time.

Improved short notes

All of the short notes in CSS, both bowed and plucked, have been re-edited to ensure better consistency of timing and length. I also improved the relative dynamic response between short note types, making it easier to switch between spiccato, staccatissimo (etc) without needing to pay as much attention to your playing velocity.

Non-vibrato legato transitions

Lastly, I have also improved the non-vibrato legato transitions. In the previous version of CSS I’d used simulated legato transitions, and while I didn’t record any new material for Version 1.7, I developed a technique to significantly improve the sound of these simulated transitions by editing the with-vibrato samples to create an all-new set of non-vibrato legato transitions. This not only sounds more realistic, but also makes the x-fade system more seamless and straightforward.

For more information on all these features please read the Release Notes.

Also, if you’re interested, check out these demos I made with v1.7 while you’re waiting:

On the Run
Together Again
Introduction / Brief tech video

I hope you enjoy the new version of Cinematic Studio Strings!

Alex :)

I'm so grateful that you took the time to really think this out and make a great improvement. Out of curiosity, has the "sound" of the room or main mic changed at all? And are there differences in the sound of the low latency legato (or to ask a different way, is that yet another mode of legato?) Thanks, this is exciting

The new demos are absolutely gorgeous
Thank you for all your hard work, very much looking forward to this!

Thanks everyone! I know it's not usual for us to announce something and then leave a few more days till release, but doing it this way gives users a chance to go ahead and back up their exisiting version and so on prior to updating.

I'm so grateful that you took the time to really think this out and make a great improvement. Out of curiosity, has the "sound" of the room or main mic changed at all? And are there differences in the sound of the low latency legato (or to ask a different way, is that yet another mode of legato?) Thanks, this is exciting
Thanks! The core sound of each individual mic has not changed much, apart from noise reduction being applied to the ambient mics. However, separating the spot mics out is probably the most significant change to the sound. I really encourage people to experiment with the spot mics - they each have their own distinct character and can significantly change the vibe of the mix.

I may create a brief video on this - that will be a good way to show you the various kinds of mixes you can create. For example, you can disable spot 2 altogether and just use Spot 1 + Main mics - this gives you a very intimate sound, while using Spot 2 + Room mics is a much larger / wider sound. Both very different mixes, each will apply equally well depending on the project.

@Alex W, will this update affect CSSS as well? Or put another way, will the timings between CSS and CSSS be less consistent at drop, or are these changes to timing and legato small enough that it won’t affect this much?

Hi, and Thanks so much @Alex W :2thumbs:

I'm very excited, and looking forward to install CSS 1.7 when I'm back from my Summer vacation Sept. 3rd. You must need a nice Summer vacation to recover from all the hard work that went into developing this update.

🍻
Muziksculp
Thanks! To be honest I'd settle for a summer in which I'm not trapped at home for a month by floodwaters. But I guess that's better than the 2019 bushfire hellscape... sort of? :)

Thanks! To be honest I'd settle for a summer in which I'm not trapped at home for a month by floodwaters. But I guess that's better than the 2019 bushfire hellscape... sort of? :)
They say we are in for another summer of rain again in Sydney, still la Nina. Hopefully no floods this time.

Oops forgot to reply the legato part of your question, @Casiquire. Basically, I think that Low Latency legato will handle most of your needs, most of the time. I spent ages on this mode - its aim is to be as playable and realistic as possible, with minimal editing. I personally use it almost exclusively now, but I also left the original "Advanced" mode from the original version more or less 100% intact - there are still times when this mode sounds more appropriate / better for certain passages - especially slower material. Advanced has been renamed to "Expressive".

So in summary, Standard / Advanced has been replaced by Low Latency / Expressive.

@Alex W, will this update affect CSSS as well? Or put another way, will the timings between CSS and CSSS be less consistent at drop, or are these changes to timing and legato small enough that it won’t affect this much?

Yes, the timing between CSS's new Low Latency mode and CSSS's Standard mode is a bit different, therefore you may need to slightly adjust your workflow to achieve the "1st chair layering" technique. However, Expressive mode lines up perfectly with Advanced mode, so you could still use those two together without issue. You could also potentially use the "Classic legato" patches in CSSS if you want them to line up (timing wise) with CSS's Low Latency mode, as it's close enough to not be noticeable.

I'm hard at work on the CSSS update to implement Low Latency legato mode etc (you can hear the new solo violin 1 in the mid section of the Together Again demo. When that's ready it will line back up again perfectly with CSS, but for now the above workaround should be fine.

Top Bottom