What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7 - audio examples and general discussion

Hey all!

Here's a new piece I composed as a trailer for my new Cinematic Studio template, using strings from 1.7. In this piece I chose to use all Con Sordino strings; a sound that often goes unmentioned when talking about Cinematic Studio Strings, but one I absolutely adore. All of the solo strings are non Sordino, adding a bit of sharpness from the first chair players on top of the Con Sordino sections. The other stems from the trailer are in the playlist too.

are these out of the box sounds with CSS 1.7 using the mix mic patch or you did some EQ and mic selection adjustment ?

are these out of the box sounds with CSS 1.7 using the mix mic patch or you did some EQ and mic selection adjustment ?
Apologies if that wasn’t clear. All of the sections, strings included, have been processed through my new template for the Cinematic Studio Series. There’s EQ and a bespoke Hollywood Scoring Stage room emulation on every instrument. I wanted to share it here as an example of what’s possible with these libraries and especially with the new 1.7 update to strings, as I just wasn’t able to get this clarity before the latest update.

I just updated to 1.7.1 via Native Access (not NA2) and it seems like the spiccato overlay is not triggering for the violins and violas when playing marcato legato notes. The first note of a phrase has the overlay but any overlapping notes seem to be missing the overlay.

Cellos and basses seem to work normally.

Alex, I ran into some bugs in 1.7.1 tonight.

First of all, Measured tremolo with a long held note plays a very short note, sort of Staccato length, then nothing is heard.

Second, with Legato set to Expressive, when I hold a long Viola note, it plays for a while, then stops. I can see in piano roll that the note "is still playing" but no sound is heard. Then all of a sudden, when playback reaches further along the same note, it starts playing again. Very strange.

When I switched back to version 1.5 and replayed the above sequence, it played back without problems. So it must be 1.7.1.

I just updated to 1.7.1 via Native Access (not NA2) and it seems like the spiccato overlay is not triggering for the violins and violas when playing marcato legato notes. The first note of a phrase has the overlay but any overlapping notes seem to be missing the overlay.

Cellos and basses seem to work normally.
This is a feature, not a bug - this is how CSS operates since v1.7 onwards. I think it's more realistic this way - this topic was covered in a post a few pages ago on this thread I believe, if you look at the conversation between myself and Kubler. If you check his post here: #353 and then my response at #381 , that should clarify this point.

Thanks!

First of all, Measured tremolo with a long held note plays a very short note, sort of Staccato length, then nothing is heard.

Second, with Legato set to Expressive, when I hold a long Viola note, it plays for a while, then stops. I can see in piano roll that the note "is still playing" but no sound is heard. Then all of a sudden, when playback reaches further along the same note, it starts playing again. Very strange.

When I switched back to version 1.5 and replayed the above sequence, it played back without problems. So it must be 1.7.1.
Just checked, and I'm not getting either of these problems. Is it possible you had purged the samples, and they were only partially loaded? Try reloading the samples for the patch, and see if it still happens.

Hi Henrik,

Measured tremolo has always operated in this way, and has not changed for v1.7. Measured Tremolo never allowed you to hold a note. It is a scripted articulation that simulates measured tremolo by triggering two notes very close together. The default tempo is 180 bpm, which is quite fast (perhaps that's what you're hearing as a single long staccato, but it's not). Please see the original articulations video here to see that in action / how the sequencing should be approached.

As for the viola held notes stopping, that sounds strange, but may be caused in some way by switching between v1.5 and v1.7. Hard to say, but if you could please get in touch with my via the support button on the website that would make it easier to work through this with you. If you could please provide some more info that would also be helpful (which note does this affect? A MIDI file would be ideal too).

Thanks!

This is a feature, not a bug - this is how CSS operates since v1.7 onwards. I think it's more realistic this way - this topic was covered in a post a few pages ago on this thread I believe, if you look at the conversation between myself and Kubler. If you check his post here: #353 and then my response at #381 , that should clarify this point.

Thanks!
Interesting, I guess I just never noticed the lack of the spiccato overlays in 1.7 which I haven't yet used a whole lot.

The basses and cellos seem to still have the overlay though, I suppose that's intended?

One thing I learned is that several articulations rely on samples from others.

For instance, Measured Tremolo will not work if you have the shorts articulation disabled.

I think the other big one was trills require the sustain/legato articulation to be enabled.

Interesting, I guess I just never noticed the lack of the spiccato overlays in 1.7 which I haven't yet used a whole lot.

The basses and cellos seem to still have the overlay though, I suppose that's intended?
Yes that's intended too - the cellos and basses needed a bit more of a "clunk" between notes as they have that extra "weight" to their sound / playing. Having said that, the effect is still significantly reduced / muted relative to 1.5.

One thing I learned is that several articulations rely on samples from others.

For instance, Measured Tremolo will not work if you have the shorts articulation disabled.

I think the other big one was trills require the sustain/legato articulation to be enabled.
This shouldn't occur anymore as of v1.7 - does it still occur for you even after updating to v1.7 (or 1.7.1)?

This shouldn't occur anymore as of v1.7 - does it still occur for you even after updating to v1.7 (or 1.7.1)?
I checked each 1.7.1 patch just now, and the Measured Trem and Trill artics still function for me with others disabled.

Hey all!

Here's a new piece I composed as a trailer for my new Cinematic Studio template, using strings from 1.7. In this piece I chose to use all Con Sordino strings; a sound that often goes unmentioned when talking about Cinematic Studio Strings, but one I absolutely adore. All of the solo strings are non Sordino, adding a bit of sharpness from the first chair players on top of the Con Sordino sections. The other stems from the trailer are in the playlist too.

Please, please, please create this for Cubase Pro 12! I placed my vote…but voting again here :)

Anyone else getting no portamentos in 1.7.1?

CC5 is all the way up - and velocities are equal to (or less than) 10.
Works on my end.
The default portamento velocity trigger was lowered I believe. It used to be <20 but now it’s <10.

I had to change my keyboard’s velocity curve since the setting it was on was was capped at 13 being the lowest amount.

Works on my end.
The default portamento velocity trigger was lowered I believe. It used to be <20 but now it’s <10.

I had to change my keyboard’s velocity curve since the setting it was on was was capped at 13 being the lowest amount.
Oh that's good to know - must be something on my end - can't get it to work at any velocities below 10...

I just ran the update - but maybe I should just do a total re-download of 1.7.1.

Btw - how do you know you're actually running 1.7.1?

Checking for Spot Mics doesn't work anymore :)

Oh that's good to know - must be something on my end - can't get it to work at any velocities below 10...

I just ran the update - but maybe I should just do a total re-download of 1.7.1.

Btw - how do you know you're actually running 1.7.1?

Checking for Spot Mics doesn't work anymore :)
Click the Gear Icon in the top left corner of your CSS instance and click Info and you'll see the version you're running.

If the Spot Mics aren't displaying and you only get a "Close Mic" option than you're likely running Version 1.5.

IMG_1805.jpg

Click the Gear Icon in the top left corner of your CSS instance and click Info and you'll see the version you're running.
Well, actually even with running 1.5 it still shows the latest number you have. :D
But this will tell you at least the difference between 1.7.0 and 1.7.1!

Top Bottom