What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I've been relooking at Cinematic Studio Brass. I have CS2, CSS and CSSS. The demos are creating a very dangerous situation for me and I'm trying desperately not to slip over and accidentally fall onto the buy button.

Are users loving this Brass library? I'm getting that "I need this in my life" vibe. :laugh:

Jono

Does it blend well with the Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra libraries? I guess what I’m asking (as all libraries can blend with the right production tricks) is, does it blend well with least amounts of faffing about? :laugh:

Yeah, the ability to take one midi performance and apply it to other instruments with consistency is a pretty big draw. The key velocity switching is also appealing to me. I also have the SF symphony and my finger has been hovering over the buy button today. How do you like the strings? And do you find they blend with SF?

There's a lot to love about CSB. The solo horn is probably the best I've ever heard, I love the trombone/tuba shorts. The library overall has an incredible dynamic range. It's very versatile. It's probably not going to be the last brass library you'll ever buy, but there are definitely permanent spots in your template from this one! :)

I love CSB. It's a bit unrefined (I mean that in a good way), but also very 'big' sounding. It's like the perfect blend of vintage/modern. I have a hard time blending the mics to make them a little more intimate, but that's on me. Otherwise, it's really incredible.

To those who have both CS2 and CSS - are you using CS2 much these days?
would love to know as well, from the demos I think a prefer the sound of cs2, but only having css it's hard to know which one I'd prefer. It's mainly the room/tone of css that I sometimes wish was different, and the amount of vibrato on some legato transitions

On topic on CSB, I also struggle getting the right mic mix, and the right amount of reverb to get it to sit further in the mix and less in your face

I personally don't really like the sound, brass needs a big room to have a nice tone. CSB looks very playable but it doesn't really have a great tone compared to other options out there. It just sounds a little bit honky and small, not enough air is being moved. It's fine for smaller sounding animation scoring maybe but I don't think it's a great option for big lush cinematic stuff. CSS, even though it's also a smaller room does blend way better with extra reverb. Brass is just more room dependant, mainly because it's so loud.

I personally don't really like the sound, brass needs a big room to have a nice tone. CSB looks very playable but it doesn't really have a great tone compared to other options out there. It just sounds a little bit honky and small, not enough air is being moved. It's fine for smaller sounding animation scoring maybe but I don't think it's a great option for big lush cinematic stuff. CSS, even though it's also a smaller room does blend way better with extra reverb. Brass is just more room dependant, mainly because it's so loud.
Interesting. I personally can't get it to sound small enough! The last thing I would call CSB would be small sounding.

Reactions: AEF
Interesting. I personally can't get it to sound small enough! The last thing I would call CSB would be small sounding.

Was going to say the same. Feels big enough. I think I also see what Joel is saying, but only conceptually. I hear them as being big and bold, and decently airy. In fact, I need to sit them further back a bit since they do feel a bit too close.

I love it and use it often. It can sound pretty big and the dynamics and overall control are absolutely stellar. My main gripe is that it's noisy (tape/other noise, which is totally unnecessary in this day and age), which is a problem with all of CSS products -- I need to use Izotope to de-noise it when I export, especially because when you stack orchestral libraries the noise adds up like crazy. I still can't understand why this is happening in almost-2020, but somehow it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom