What's new

Christian Henson's YouTube Channel - Nighty Night!

Christian,

Regarding 'vanity' speakers and also the surround delivery issues.

Kii Three's. They're a bit dear but I'm here to tell ya they are the way to go. I've been using them everyday all day for many months now. Of course they sound 'flippin' amazing'. But they are of great utility also. To my knowledge there is no others that actively direct the deep low end towards only the front - much like the infinite baffle effect of soffit mounted speakers. This means that you can pretty much set them wherever you like (for example, either close or far from the wall or even in the middle of a room that's not treated very well acoustically) and they still sound 'flippin' amazing'. So it's easy to pack them into a studio where you're recording and know that your mix will end up sounding like what you expected it to when you recorded the basics.

Each speaker has six 225W amplifiers (1,500W per box), tons of DSP to control many things - they sound like very, very improved Barefoots - but with much less 'hype' to them.

Oh, and they are tiny. Yeah, tiny like a stick of dynamite. I got them to replace my ATC 150's in my surround setup! IMG_0940 (1).JPG

I still have my Amphion Two 18's - which I also love and use for my rear speaks in surround mode - and a pair of ATC 25's.

Surround - mainly I've mixed surround for indies and some TV. The composer I work with a lot is doing mostly American TV now and delivers almost always in stereo.
I will only work in Quad now to deliver to dub. Everyone seems OK with that.

I hate the Center Speaker. I hate the Center Speaker. I hate the Center Speaker. It only gets in the way of my monitors and besides I'm not a dialog mixer. It messes with my room topology. Phantom Center for dialog is just fine.
While I have a subwoof, dub mixers want to control that for FX any way. If you're Hans Zimmer and Alan Meyerson you can get away with dictating what part of your mix gets put into the dub. Most of the rest of us just deliver and pray.

Monitoring in Surround: When I used the ATC 150's I used the Dangerous ST/SR combo like I see you have. They sound most wonderful and have great features - except for the one - no Digital i/o. With the Ki Three's I wanted to use dig i/o. So I went to the Trinnov D-Mon 6. (It's also nice to use the digital outputs from my Mac into my main speakers.) Feel free to Google Trinnov. It has unparalleled audio correction. I also use the Kii Three Remote along with them.
In Quad, I use the Kii Three's for fronts and the Amphion Two 18's for rear.

They are a good size for your room. Since I've had to move 4 times in the last 4 years I've been putting my temporary mix room in rental homes. Currently I'm in a converted living room 14'x22', 9' high. Treatment is a pile of GIK panels and diffusors.

Here's what the Kii Three's look like in my room (chart from my Trinnov):
Kii Three Freq Chart.jpeg

I've owned tons of speakers through out the years - you name it and I've either owned them or heard them.

I recommend you check out the Kii's. Feel free to PM with me any questions, comments or queries.

Last edited:
I did some mixing on a pair of Amphion One18 with the Base One subs and I can see why folks love them for mixing. IMHO they are the 2017 version of NS10's. I could never stand to create on them. They cut like razors and you'd never stop tweaking your setup.
I hated them.
I've also listened to ATC 150's in the tracking room at the old 1340 Mission/Coast Recorders control room in San Francisco (they've since moved to Fantasy Studios building). Fantastic live room designed by Bill Putnam. Those 150's are the size of small fridges and need a lot of room to breath. A friend installed them in his mixing/post studio and they were too much for his place. Never heard them there but I trust his ears.
A friend has a pair of the ATC 50's for listening in his biggish living room. Very nice but they might be a little much for what I can see of your crib.
I listened to the ATC 25's in one of the studios at Universal Audio in Scottsdale Ca. They were paired with an Adam sub (I think it was the Sub10 or 12).
They melted me! My current favorite.
I still plan to make a visit to Vintage King in LA before I order a demo pair.
Oh yeah, if you ever get a chance to visit Universal Audio (Bill Putnam Jr works there), it is a drool fest. Most of those tasty fx that Universal models are sitting in the racks of their studios.

Here's what the Kii Three's look like in my room (chart from my Trinnov):
Kii Three Freq Chart.jpeg

I've owned tons of speakers through out the years - you name it and I've either owned them or heard them.

I recommend you check out the Kii's. Feel free to PM with me any questions, comments or queries.

Hey Jack and Christian,

Great to see another composer using the Trinnov. That has been a game changer for me since I purchased one last year for my room. My current setup is a pair of Focal SM9's which I really love, paired with the Trinnov St2 and Gik Acoustic treated room. Glenn got my room dialed in, I love the flexibility of the Trinnov as well, Bill at Vintage King got me set up with that. The ATC's are fantastic and I was on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a pair but my room is physically too small for them, the SM9's are very compact for what they offer. Focal/Trinnov combo is a powerful setup.

Here's latest two films...

I thought V-Log was going to be included in the GH5. I have the GH4 and GH3, but haven't upgraded to the new one yet. Not sure the graded footage looked that much better, maybe more "cinematic", but that can definitely be subjective. Anyway, love watching these, thanks for all the insights.

@christianhenson. Curious to hear if you're using XLR or (unbal.) jack on that Massive Passive?
I find the jacks, that don't run through the output transformer, to have a bigger bottom, more umph...
Great vids, keep em coming :)
/Anders

M8 2 daughters here. Few things. The classical world has a tiny percentage of female composers and conductors. The number of female band members and singer song writers is increasing. Hope it is a lag effect.

The music industry is rife with casual sexism, studios have always been intimidating male dominated environments.

The worse thing for me is how music as a family accepts misogynist content. The metoo debate made me think a lot about lyrics. I think society has moved on. Misogynist lyrics should no longer be applauded or awarded. They should be stuffed in brown paper bags. And I mean the whole music family. It could start with the shareholders of media owners and publishers. And Pharrel. And JayZ. And I'm sure Eminem is creative enough to go 100 words a minute without a beotch. When you spit bars, you don 't need to attend the pussy hole's yard.

We don't need it. We don't need to sing about ho's anymore. My daughters don't need to hear it.

Until you at least take a stand about the avalanche if misogynist content that comes out of studios, it's understandable why girls stay away.

Well, on the other side, I am Puerto Rican. I wonder how many of us are in this community. I am sure there are numbers of diverse background on this forum, but one wonders if SOME, not all, might be into different forms of musical experience. As to women in this forum, the few that I have read seem to be quiet talented/competent. However, to say that purely misogyny is the ONLY reason for the death may be too simplistic. Training, cultural, and societal demands may be involved. Even if we see the music world "clean" up its act/act, does that alone portend an increase in female participation? I also fear that some "radicalized" movement will set quotas for such undertakings---i for her, 1 for her, to create what might be considered parity or equality.------my dos centavos

Well, on the other side, I am Puerto Rican. I wonder how many of us are in this community. I am sure there are numbers of diverse background on this forum, but one wonders if SOME, not all, might be into different forms of musical experience. As to women in this forum, the few that I have read seem to be quiet talented/competent. However, to say that purely misogyny is the ONLY reason for the death may be too simplistic. Training, cultural, and societal demands may be involved. Even if we see the music world "clean" up its act/act, does that alone portend an increase in female participation? I also fear that some "radicalized" movement will set quotas for such undertakings---i for her, 1 for her, to create what might be considered parity or equality.------my dos centavos

God, my writing is awful. I apologize as my arthritis is getting worse. I wonder if there is a Spitfire library that will handle that? :)

My first guess would be the medium's not tangible enough to appeal to women.

Most of the female artists I've had the privilege to meet who really put in the grind and who are ready to burn for their craft have been devotees of the plastic arts - sculpture, photography, painting, etc. Also, performance, body art, kinetic stuff - dance, etc. Even nerdy girls who dig computer sound manipulation usually go for installation, spatial, surround, interactive forms of expression and often add light/video too. All in my humble experience, of course.

Crafting mock-ups in isolated chambers, software worship, the worrying and tension-laden MIDI massaging, the obedience of a client's demands and general uncertainty of this line of work must be something they've cleverly decided to leave to (mainly) guys.

Just a stream of thoughts, hope nobody's offended.

I think it's pretty indicative of the problem when you have one of the major players in our little industry here "Billy Bushing" from their official page right along with the objectification in that Lanois/Pharell video.
MA21hNkl.jpg

We had this discussion previously on VIC, about a year ago maybe? At first the question didn't bug me so much but when I saw some incredibly casual sexism in the replies it was more worrying.

Top Bottom