What's new

Chris Hein solo violin

Holy sh*t! I have a bunch of solo violins already but this baby is the first one that sounds like a real one! Will definitely get this as soon as I can afford! Awesome demos!

Marco

Holy sh*t! I have a bunch of solo violins already but this baby is the first one that sounds like a real one! Will definitely get this as soon as I can afford! Awesome demos!

Marco

Yes ! imho. the CH-Violin has raised the bar to the next level of realism as far as solo violin sample libraries are concerned. I have not heard this level of realism from any other Solo-Violin Sample library.

This is a big step forward !

A must buy.

This is a big step forward !

And a tremendous undertaking. I can't imagine what the process was like to achieve this level of control and realism. However, I can imagine that it was challenging, tedious, and must have been frustrating at times to inch it forward.

Excellent work CH.

I noticed in the three patches that all long G2 articulations (except the proper "Sustain" articulation) exhibit the same subtle but audible looping sonics as the notes that are presented in the extended range - below G2.

Is anyone else hearing this? I hope I'm explaining this understandably.

I usually cringe when I see these promotional videos of a real player backed by a midi mockup (a trend amongst developers), but here it indeed sounds disturbingly convincing. I'd like to hear more user demos.

A must buy.

I hope a different opinion won’t excite too much remark, but … if it had sounded good: yes. Unfortunately, I can’t say that it does. It’s that feline-in-distress sound again, a timbre which, more than anything, conjures up images of non-plussed veterinarians and weeping pet-owners, rather than competent engineers, skilled musicians and quality instruments.

At least, that’s what, to my ears, all the demos posted thus far seem to point at: not a good sound. (And I had hoped that the International Court in The Hague had the authority by now to forbid the public airing of demos like the Paganini.)
Personal opinion, of course.

On the plus-side: the technical innovations and performance possibilities seem indeed quite extra-ordinary. Put better samples, a bit less sample-filtering and much better-sounding IR’s in this engine — "if only"'s that also come to mind when working with the UniqHorn and the Woodwinds —, and the wave of enthusiasm for this library might begin to look a little more inviting.

_

Last edited:
I hope a different opinion won’t excite too much remark, but … if it had sounded good, yes. Unfortunately, I can’t say that it does. It’s that feline-in-distress sound again, a timbre which, more than anything, conjures up images of non-plussed veterinarians and weeping pet-owners, rather than competent engineers, skilled musicians and quality instruments.

At least, that’s what, to my ears, all the demos posted thus far seem to point at: not a good sound. (And I had hoped that the International Court in The Hague had the authority by now to forbid the public airing of demos like the Paganini.)

On the plus-side: the technical innovations and performance possibilities seem indeed quite extra-ordinary. Put better samples, a bit less sample-filtering and much better-sounding IR’s in this engine — "if only"'s that also come to mind when working with the UniqHorn and the Woodwinds — , and the wave of enthusiam for this library might begin to look a little more inviting.

_

Unfortunately I have to agree here also at least from my view on the tone of the demos available. Whilst I find the Violin super expressive and detailed in its approach of programming and articulation and dynamics I don´t feel that its "tone and sonic room appearance" is something what I call good to my ears. A bummer for me personally because the rest is just great I have to say.

Last edited:
I think the real vs. sampled False Valse demonstrates the sound / timbre difference between the samples and the real instrument. Perhaps it is just a matter of EQ, but the real instrument has a warmth and thickness to it that the samples lack. My 2 cents.

Perhaps somebody wanted to make the good even better and thus wandered into subjective-land. Have been there often.

I hope a different opinion won’t excite too much remark, but … if it had sounded good: yes. Unfortunately, I can’t say that it does. It’s that feline-in-distress sound again, a timbre which, more than anything, conjures up images of non-plussed veterinarians and weeping pet-owners, rather than competent engineers, skilled musicians and quality instruments.

On the plus-side: the technical innovations and performance possibilities seem indeed quite extra-ordinary. Put better samples, a bit less sample-filtering and much better-sounding IR’s in this engine — "if only"'s that also come to mind when working with the UniqHorn and the Woodwinds —, and the wave of enthusiasm for this library might begin to look a little more inviting.

_

Hi re-peat,

I'm guessing you can tweak the timbre/character of the CH-Violin to your taste via some DSP treatments, be it EQ, compression, filtering, use of different reverb types, ..etc.

To my ears, the timbre/character that CH-Violin offers has a bit of that bow sound that some don't fancy, which I find very minimal, and maybe a positive thing, especially if you use that as a basis of the sound, and then subtract, or take away some of the key frequencies that are contributing to that more raw or harsh violin timbre, then you have more options to tweak it. It is easier to remove than to add frequencies to a complex sounding instrument like the Violin.

I wonder what type of Mic/s were used for sampling the CH-Violin, (Ribbon, Tube, or Condenser), Ribbon seems to be a favorite for Violin since it kind of smooths out some of the higher edgy frequencies that the violin produces. I also think that the type of Reverb, and how the violin is treated with effects can change its sound dramatically. So, imho. many variables are going to influence the final sonic characteristic of the violin, be it sampled or played in real time by very good player.

Let's also not forget, this is a very subjective area, some might really like a specific violin timbre/character others might hate it. So, it's not easy to please all ears. Just like our taste in gourmet cuisine. :)

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Let's also not forget, this is a very subjective area, some might really like a specific violin timbre/character others might hate it. So, it's not easy to please all ears. Just like our taste in gourmet cuisine. :)

I would disagree on that, once sound engineering/mixing is concerned. While there is some subjectiveness and personal preferences on the "good sounding" part of the spectrum, with some perfectionism involved, personal "know how" etc. The "ain`t good" part of the spectrum, or borderline below which things stop being pleasantly sounding - is pretty objective, and universal among sound professionals.

I would disagree on that, once sound engineering/mixing is concerned. While there is some subjectiveness and personal preferences on the "good sounding" part of the spectrum, with some perfectionism involved, personal "know how" etc. The "ain`t good" part of the spectrum, or borderline below which things stop being pleasantly sounding - is pretty objective, and universal among sound professionals.

Well.... Just look at the reactions, and opinions about CH-Violin's demos on this forum, some of us like the sound a lot, some don't. So, it is very clear that It's a matter of taste. imho. it is that simple. Provided we are all experienced to a degree with what a violin is supposed to sound (some reference point, which is also a variable), and have some musical experience working with bowed strings, be it playing, or recording them.

i.e. I love the timbre of the Baroque (Gut Stringed) Violin, and find that it has a much smoother, warmer timbre when compared to the modern violin, but not everyone likes the sound of the Baroque Violin, and prefer the more edgy, (should I say, a bit harsher) sounding modern violin. Again it's all about taste.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it...some of the faster stuff still sounds a little synthetic so if anyone's overcome this, I'm all ears....

I'll post a user demo soon...

Hi Jono, the writing is good, but you are right, the faster passages don't sound right.
You should use the Note-Heads for the faster notes to tighten the attacks.
Its really simple. Just set them to "stack" and draw some MIDI CC2 data in you DAW's editor.

Chris Hein

Hi Jono, the writing is good, but you are right, the faster passages don't sound right.
Its really simple. Just set them to "stack" and draw some MIDI CC2 data in you DAW's editor.

Chris Hein
Thanks Chris

I thought that might help wasn't sure how to to do it.

I'll go back in and figure it out :)

Chris Hein
Chris excellent instrument you have created! Most playable solo Violin I have!!!
I have one quick question... I am using CC1 mod wheel to switch between the shorts in NOTEHEAD and it works really well except I accidentally switch to some unintended shorts of the 8 available when playing a phrase within the heat of inspiration. What would be great is if there was a way to select or deselect which note heads you do or don’t want... so you let’s say you choose 1 and 7 and the others are off (2,3,4,5,6,8). Then you could ride the mod wheel and compose and not worry and know which ones you are getting.

Is this possible currently?

Top Bottom