What's new

Changing the tempo in cubase without altering the music duration.

Fer

Hello, i have been composing a track in a tempo that is not the most apropiate. Every note duration is ok in the midi editor (i mean, the tempo in which the music flows is ok so i would not want to slow down or to acelerate the music) but i would like to transform every whole note into a half note, every half into a quarter note and so on, just to make the midi notation more consistent. So at the end i would like to adjust only the grid because the duration of every note is ok as it is in the chosen tempo…. do you know how can i do that? I hope it makes sense what i trying to say...

In the midiroll, use the quantize menu to change the grid
(should be in the middle of the bar on top. If you don't see it.. right click the bar and select it from the menu).
It will not quantize anything until you tell it to (q)

Reactions: Fer
Hi Fer,

once I had to do just that and I manage it in this way: click on (what I think is called) timebase toggle button; it's the note that you see just under the rec arm button. In this way you can switch from muical mode to linear mode. Now slow the tempo (because is what you would do in a notation software if you want, for example, change 8th notes to quarter notes and maintain the same speed). The midi events will not change position, because they are in linear mode. Now switch back all track to musical mode, and you've done!

Hey @T.j. it didnt worked... that only alters the resolution of the grid..
Hey @FabioA thanks, it seems that the linear mode function is the key...unafortunately is not available in my cubase elemnts : ( if you can figure another way of doing this...

Hey @T.j. it didnt worked... that only alters the resolution of the grid..
Hey @FabioA thanks, it seems that the linear mode function is the key...unafortunately is not available in my cubase elemnts : ( if you can figure another way of doing this...
Unfortunately nothing comes to my mind. If that's not too much complicated, you could send me the midi project and I'll do that for you..

Thanks FabioA, i actually solved it with using a midi preset called half tempo

Thats it.
"half tempo" plus multiplying the bpms by two: quarter notes become half notes and so on.
"double tempo" plus dividing the bpms by two: half notes becomes quarer notes and so on.

Top Bottom