What's new

Chamber Strings Examples (LSCS, CSC)

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
Given Light and Sound have just revamped their Chamber Strings library (see https://vi-control.net/community/th...-strings-2-0-update.53076/page-7#post-4154461), I though I'd add to the comparison I did here... https://vi-control.net/community/threads/css-is-it-crazy.66370/page-7#post-4151505

Things to note:
- I've put a touch of compression on the master.
- SCS is only tree mics.
- LSCS are default mics (Decca, Sides, Close Leader).
- Both libs have Spaces Southern Cal. Hall added, with more for LSCS than SCS to try and match them (LSCS is a much dryer library).
- There is no EQ added.
- The midi is the same for each, apart from a minor tweak at the start of LSCS to soften the first note. It's exactly the same midi as for the larger string sections comparison in the other thread.

The 3 takes are as follows:
1. LSCS
2. SCS
3. LSCS + SCS

If you want a better quality FLAC version, use the download button in the SoundCloud player.

So in-between everyone frantically making their Black Friday/weekend purchases, I'd be interested to know what others think. These are just the long legatos (performance patch for SCS), so it's a limited comparison, but it should give a fair idea of tone and playability.

If you're a working composer, go with SCS... you can, and should, afford it; if not, LSCS should be fine for convincing legato, sustains, and tremolo.

I own SCS and what really annoys me about it is the vibrato. It is very vibrating (well it should be:whistling:) but in a very exaggerated way that almost makes it sound like a modelled vibrato. LSCS seems to be better in this regard, specially when all sections are playing together

@LamaRose, I don't know if its an either/or scenario really. I think they sound very different, and both sound great in their own way.

I own SCS and what really annoys me about it is the vibrato. It is very vibrating (well it should be:whistling:) but in a very exaggerated way that almost makes it sound like a modelled vibrato. LSCS seems to be better in this regard, specially when all sections are playing together
This is very evident in the example, yes. I find SCS to be a bit harsh sometimes, including the vibrato. So yes, agreed, the vibrato is a bit of an issue in the above track and I think is the thing that stands out as the biggest difference between the two libraries. For me LSCS sounds easier to listen to because of this, although it also feels less detailed because the vibrato isn't as strong. The dynamics are not push right up on either library though, so take that into account.

although it also feels less detailed because the vibrato isn't as strong.
But that's how a real performance sounds like after all, right? never heard all players playing vibrato in sync altogether which would make it so pronounced/unrealistic..

Last edited:
SCS is just so inspiring and beautiful. One of Spitfire's best products for sure. I know two composers who use SCS as their go-to sketching VI.

LSCS looks like a very useful backup for when you need a more neutral & less romantic tone. It's also $150 vs $500...

Non-vib/subtle vibrato is sadly lacking in current libraries... hoping SF addresses this with their new Ólafur Arnalds offering. Also like to see Virharmonic add this to their solo Bohemian instruments.

... and this is the moment where my resistance broke and I bought the library.

Not that I think it will make me pine any less for SCS, but it really does sound great.

I don’t really understand. You can adjust the vibrato in SCS from no vibrato to molto vibrato. So far as I did get my hands on it, which is just an hour till now, it’s a matter of riding cc21. Or what do you mean?

The sounds are astonishingly similar in this example. If LSCS had trills then it would almost be a smarter investment.

I don’t really understand. You can adjust the vibrato in SCS from no vibrato to molto vibrato. So far as I did get my hands on it, which is just an hour till now, it’s a matter of riding cc21. Or what do you mean?
The problem with SCS is that you either have no vib (which is very static) OR molto vib (which can be annoying as I described earlier). There is no in-between...so the vib slider is actually an illusion as it doesn't really control the vib intensity

The problem with SCS is that you either have no vib (which is very static) OR molto vib (which can be annoying as I described earlier). There is no in-between...so the vib slider is actually an illusion as it doesn't really control the vib intensity
That's possible in Mural, but not in SSS AFAIK. I assume it was possible SCS as well, but if it has been removed now: are the Sable presets (which I assume could do this) included with SCS?

I googled SCS a little, and found this: "Vibrato, for example, as you move the slider, the difference is more dramatic than on larger string libraries", and this: "The library features multiple round robins, dynamic layers and easily usable, fully functional legato with control over vibrato".
Are you sire this is wrong, Batrawi?

I googled SCS a little, and found this: "Vibrato, for example, as you move the slider, the difference is more dramatic than on larger string libraries", and this: "The library features multiple round robins, dynamic layers and easily usable, fully functional legato with control over vibrato".
Are you sire this is wrong, Batrawi?
pretty sure the vib slider in SCS acts more as an on/off switch rather than a fader. Are the above quotes by Spitfire themselves? or reviewers?

vibrato on/off IS "control over vibrato". It may not be the extent of control you want but it is still vibrato "control" nonetheless

Crossfading is a poor representation of vibrato anyway.

String vibrato is not on/off, it's more like an LFO. It has a speed/rate component, and an amplitude component.

This isn't quite right either but it's more accurate than the on/off paradigm:

Chamber Strings Examples (LSCS, CSC)

The vibrato style can be changed inside of a phrase or even a single note, hence a big challenge for samples.

Also the musicians don't need any instruction really. It's part of string musicianship to interpret the phrase's musical meaning and use the appropriate vibrato style.

Top Bottom