What's new

Can flexrouter "block" midi notes from specific channels?

dadadave

Situation:

In VEP there is a Kontakt instance that houses multiple Kontakt instruments for (Claire) flute 1 and 2. The instruments are duplicated and hosted in the same Kontakt instance to save RAM.

The Kontakt instance is set to receive MIDI on all channels so I can control each flute individually with help from flexrouter. In Cubase, I control flute 1 via midi port 1 channel 2, flute 2 via midi port 1 channel 3. Flexrouter reroutes the incoming midi to the various kontakt instruments, for instance sending legato keyswitch passages to the flute 1 legato nki on channel [A]1.

However, now when I send MIDI from cubase on the same port, e.g. on channel 1 to play the piccolo, since in VEP the Kontakt instance for flutes is listening on all channels, the midi passes through to the nki on [A]1 and the flute plays along with the piccolo without that being the intention.

Is there a way I can set up a flexrouter rule to ignore all midi that is not coming from ports 2 and 3? I only see how to block keyswitch notes from being passed on, but not unspecified note-on messages.

It would be really nice to save RAM and not host the same samples in two separate Kontakt instances . Also, unless I'm missing something, I need to set it to receive on all channels or else I will have the issue that both flutes play at the same time. The only other solution would be if I used other ports internally in Kontakt, rerouting via flexRouter, i.e. [D] 1-4 instead of [A] 1-4...gonna give that a try...

Thanks for any tips, sorry if I didn't explain very well what I'm trying to achieve.

[Edit] Or is there maybe another small script to filter out midi channels? In the Utilities folder there's a KSP script that filters specific midi event types, but not specific channels, it seems.

[Edit2] The approach with using the B/C/D ports inside Kontakt (with some rerouting help of flexrouter) seems to have solved the conundrum. I'm leaving it all here in case someone tries to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom