What's new

Can audio interface plays hi res/hifi music?

I think you're looking for an audiophile-grade soundcard rather than an audio interface. I'd recommend the Asus Xonar Essence STX for that. It has a great headphone amp so you can plug your Sony headphones in. For speakers you'd need a hi-fi amp and speakers though. I don't think audio interfaces will really give you audiophile sound as I'd imagine they would favour revealing the sound over flattering it.

I'm not familiar with hifi amp. Is it ok if get xonar stx and connect it say to Sony ht ct80 soundbar or yamaha yas 207 soundbar? Can it encode and decode all the dolby and dts conversion

Yeah I'm thinking now of getting a Sony ct80 soundbar for my pc and add in maybe scarlet 2i2 or other interfaces in that price point. I wonder if that would sound better than getting a pair of studio monitors

Stick to the basics: look for a decent audio interface and speakers. Headphones are great, but they're not a substitute. We musicians tend to care a lot about sound quality, because a) for some inexplicable reasons we really do develop a little hearing acuity :) and b) we need to hear every detail in our productions.

In other words, the implication that audiophiles' ears are uniquely gilded is asinine snobbery. :)

Soundbars are great for casual listening to TVs or broadcast music - I love our Vizio one for its application - but they're not designed for critical listening at all. They almost always have boosted low and high ends, and often have stereo widening effects (although you can defeat that).

Forget that, forget the audiophile DAC headphone amp.

Reactions: Rey
I'm not familiar with hifi amp. Is it ok if get xonar stx and connect it say to Sony ht ct80 soundbar or yamaha yas 207 soundbar? Can it encode and decode all the dolby and dts conversion

It has RCA and optical outs so it should connect ok. I believe it does do Dolby etc. but do check the specs before buying.

Stay away from the consumer stuff with RCA jacks.

More money really does translate to better sound quality (up to a point of diminishing returns). But even the inexpensive audio interfaces sound surprisingly good these days.

The RCA ports are for the hi-fi connection rather than the audio interface. Other than optical or RCA I've no idea how you'd connect a soundcard to an amp/receiver. Did you mean stay away from audio interfaces with RCA connectors?

M
The RCA ports are for the hi-fi connection rather than the audio interface. Other than optical or RCA I've no idea how you'd connect a soundcard to an amp/receiver. Did you mean stay away from audio interfaces with RCA connectors?
Most interfaces don't have RCA. You'd just need to buy a high quality pair of RCA >1/4" or RCA > XLR cables.

M

Most interfaces don't have RCA. You'd just need to buy a high quality pair of RCA >1/4" or RCA > XLR cables.

That's right, or just an inexpensive adapter.

My point is only that the RCA connections are an indication of the application, not that there's anything wrong with RCA - although they happen to be designed for static connections, not for musicians who re-patch stuff with any frequency.

Another point about audio interfaces for musicians: they have inputs! You can connect equipment (synths, mics, whatever) for recording.

Stick to the basics: look for a decent audio interface and speakers. Headphones are great, but they're not a substitute. We musicians tend to care a lot about sound quality, because a) for some inexplicable reasons we really do develop a little hearing acuity :) and b) we need to hear every detail in our productions.

In other words, the implication that audiophiles' ears are uniquely gilded is asinine snobbery. :)

Soundbars are great for casual listening to TVs or broadcast music - I love our Vizio one for its application - but they're not designed for critical listening at all. They almost always have boosted low and high ends, and often have stereo widening effects (although you can defeat that).

Forget that, forget the audiophile DAC headphone amp.

Thank you for the heads up.
Based on your inputs, I am to understand/believe that it is better to get an audio interface rather than audiophiles dac and pc soundcard.

I'm thinking to get Behringer umc204hd audio interface. let me know if its any good or not.
And for speakers what would you recommend?
Studio monitors-Yamaha hs7/hs8, krk series, behringer or monkey banana?
or
expensive book shelf speakers like-Yamaha NX-N500 Wireless Bluetooth or inexpensive solution of speakers?

A PC soundcard is an audio interface, just an internal one.

Hopefully other people will comment on your choices, because I haven't heard any of that. But I'd stay away from Bluetooth speakers for this application. The audio gets compressed for transmission, and there's a slight delay that you'll notice if you're playing instruments running on your computer.

I probably wouldn't use reference monitors for the purpose of listening to music for pure enjoyment, they are intended for mixing and revealing subtle artefacts. For this reason, they are flat sounding (which is what you want when mixing). I have HS8's and KRK's, and they are ok for just listening to music, but not something I would put in my living room so to speak.

M

I think we're getting mixed up :) I'm taking about an audiophile sound card with RCA connectors and not an audio interface for musicians. That's what I'd recommend for listening to music instead of an audio interface and studio monitors.

I'm ok with the onboard sound card so far. Just wondering though does an audio interface
Why are you buying something new when you've already said you're happy with what you have? What is it that is making you want something new? Have you looked at the specs of the Realtek card (https://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=27&Level=5&Conn=4)? (https://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products)? They seem pretty decent in terms of audio quality.

If you really think you're missing something then look at upgrading your speakers/monitors. Some have a digital input (usually optical) that provides a less noisy signal from the computer to the speaker but then you need to check the specs of the speaker's built in audio interface/DAC and you'll need a sound card with a digital output.

Last edited:
I think that an interface is fine if it hast good converters and preamps. Most people prefer hifi systems because of signal coloration making the music pleasant to listen to. An interface should be as transparent as it gets.

Imo the anwser is audio interfaces suite high res music. If you are not happy try out different speakers/headphones or EQ them. Usually a smiley EQ curve can make things sound more hi fi.

Hello. Need some help here. I'm about to get my first audio interface for music making with ableton daw. However I'm also someone who lately enjoys listening to hi res music, and just about to subscribe to Tidal streaming music service for listening to hi res music quality.

My question is do audio interface plays hi res music optimally and gives a pleasant listening experience?
Or
My friend suggest me to get thing call dac/amps that improves my pc and headphone sound quality for hi res music instead of sound card or audio interface.

What do you guy think? Which should I get?

Thank you for your help in advance

Yes, a professional audio interface is 100% suitable for pleasant listening. All DACs and amps are designed to be very flat, and low distortion--and they measure well (including hifi stuff). These days, good quality DACs and amps are cheap.

The biggest cause of imperfection in the sound quality are speakers and room acoustics. In systems with multiple speakers, the crossovers can also be a problem. Bigger and lower frequency speakers make the problem more difficult and expensive as well.

So obviously for price/performance, headphones are the best option. Normal people (like myself) can easily hear differences between different speakers/headphones, but hearing differences between DACs/amps is much more difficult.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't use reference monitors for the purpose of listening to music for pure enjoyment, they are intended for mixing and revealing subtle artefacts. For this reason, they are flat sounding (which is what you want when mixing). I have HS8's and KRK's, and they are ok for just listening to music, but not something I would put in my living room so to speak.

KRKs, Tannoys, that ilk, no question - they do sound very flat. And it's not that their frequency response is flat (although it is), it's that they don't sound lively. Flat is just a good word to describe their sound, and they wouldn't be my first choice for listening to music. They're good for mixing on, because you have to work to make the music sound good.

However, there are lots of really good studio reference monitors that don't sound like that, and music sounds very nice on them. I'd put my Blue Sky System Ones in that category.

The danger is really the opposite: mixing on flattering speakers with a midrange scoop, causing you to put on the inverse curve. That's exactly why you don't want to use a soundbar for production!

Last edited:
KRKs, Tannoys, that ilk, no question - they do sound very flat. And it's not that their frequency response is flat (although it is), it's that they don't sound lively. Flat is just a good word to describe their sound, and they wouldn't be my first choice for listening to music. They're good for mixing on, because you have to work to make the music sound good.

However, there are lots of really good studio reference monitors that don't sound like that, and music sounds very nice on them. I'd put my Blue Sky System Ones in that category.

The danger is really the opposite: mixing on flattering speakers with a midrange scoop, causing you to put on the inverse curve. That's exactly why you don't want to use a soundbar for production!

I don't have much experience with a lot of different monitors, but I have used Mackie HR824 (L C R) for Home Theater purposes and I like them a lot in that application--on the used market they can be a great value.

Yeah, they'd be excellent speakers for a home theater.

The HR824s are... they're not copies, but let's say they were intended to be direct competitors to the Genelecs that were really popular when they came out in the later '90s. I had a pair here for a while, and I like the way they sound. They lean toward the living room side rather than being super-accurate, but a lot of professionals use them in their project studios.

Yeah, they'd be excellent speakers for a home theater.

The HR824s are... they're not copies, but let's say they were intended to be direct competitors to the Genelecs that were really popular when they came out in the later '90s. I had a pair here for a while, and I like the way they sound. They lean toward the living room side rather than being super-accurate, but a lot of professionals use them in their project studios.

I have heard other speakers with more information/ resolution/ articulation, but the Mackie HR824s (Mk1 and Mk2) do well enough in every area and just sound very pleasant--well rounded, nothing offensive. In terms of power output, frequency range, frequency response variation, etc.--many years down the line, it's still difficult (on paper) to find something else that is comparable for the new price (most similar options in have lower power output)--but at used market, prices, they are just great IMO except perhaps for getting that last 0.1% of detail for critical mixing.

I don't have golden ears, but IMO, one can do a lot worse for a home theater setup.

Last edited:
I guess instead of getting a dedicated dacs, I'll get an audio interface with great dacs inside that should I'm prove listening experience. Any recommendation of audio interfaces with great sounding dacs below $500?

I guess instead of getting a dedicated dacs, I'll get an audio interface with great dacs inside that should I'm prove listening experience. Any recommendation of audio interfaces with great sounding dacs below $500?
Get speakers, you are already happy with your sound card and you won't hear a difference with a different audio interface (actually you will but it will be placebo).

Top Bottom