What's new

Cakewalk SONAR 2024 teaser, track delay negative offset per articulation, note range, velocity

Did they finally introduce absolute time instead of musical time for track delays? That's probably my biggest gripe with the current Cakewalk.
Doubt it. Sadly...This has a new skin, but is still the same underneath. I like the new look tho. But if the pricing is gonna be sub only I'm gonna have to bail
In fact they have added Absolute Time Offset; it's built in to the Articulations feature so it can vary with changing articulations throughout a track as needed. Pretty cool. While the focus was clearly on converting the UI to vector graphics to accomodate high-DPI displays, there are good number of useful new and revised features as well as bug fixes.

In fact they have added Absolute Time Offset; it's built in to the Articulations feature so it can vary with changing articulations throughout a track as needed. Pretty cool. While the focus was clearly on converting the UI to vector graphics to accomodate high-DPI displays, there are good number of useful new and revised features as well as bug fixes.
Whoa! I didn't see that on the list of enhancements. THAT is welcome news! Sure hope they have a reasonable non sub pricing structure when the time comes. I like the feel of the new Sonar already. Thanks for the heads up!

Glad to see there are some CW users here. The new SONAR is a substantial improvement, even over SPlat. Many new features, many bug fixes, and much more stable than even a year ago with CbB. It's come a long way since I started with Pro Audio in the 90's.

Thanks. I found this thread where the feature is discussed. However, it looks like they introduced it only to the articulations, but setting it track wide isn't possible. Can anyone with the new Sonar confirm this? Anyway, it's good that it's possible to handle it at least with the articulations.

I'm not disappointed with this "new" Cakewalk interface, it may be a little too simplified at times, like the faders for example, but overall it's pleasant (for my taste).
Now to see what will really be new to the DAW apart from the design.
I also remember a video talking about the future of this software talking about things that have been implemented since like articulation maps, but also other things like MPE that we are still waiting for.

Thanks. I found this thread where the feature is discussed. However, it looks like they introduced it only to the articulations, but setting it track wide isn't possible. Can anyone with the new Sonar confirm this? Anyway, it's good that it's possible to handle it at least with the articulations.
Informative thread. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not disappointed with this "new" Cakewalk interface, it may be a little too simplified at times, like the faders for example, but overall it's pleasant (for my taste).
Now to see what will really be new to the DAW apart from the design.
I also remember a video talking about the future of this software talking about things that have been implemented since like articulation maps, but also other things like MPE that we are still waiting for.

Thanks for putting this up. Useful info for sure!

it looks like they introduced it only to the articulations, but setting it track wide isn't possible.
Granted it takes a little familiarization to setup an articulation the first time, but then you can save it to your Articulations Library, and the next time you need it, just drag-select, say, 128 bars in the articulations lane for a track, pick your "-50ms Time Offset" from the library, and you're set.

This tiny bug kills me... every. single. time. It is the one most unintuitive flaw that I can not get used to no matter how many hundreds of times I run into it... even though it's been like this for literally ten years!
Anyone want to give this a try, in any version? Especially new Sonar? Would love to know if it's been fixed. I'm still on 2022.02 cause they haven't given me any reason to update.

sonar.png

1. You have a plugin, and you have an audio clip.
2. You're using the smart tool.
3. Double-click to open the plugin. You don't have to click anything on it or shift focus to it.
4. Now use the right-click lasso to select an audio clip (not left-click) so it is highlighted/selected.
5. Hit delete.
6. The plugin deletes!
7. Ctrl+Z will usually bring the plugin back though it is somewhat plugin-dependent whether it comes back or whether it reloads any settings.

I feel like this should be such a simple fix...
Just tried this with the latest SONAR build. It seems that the effects rack is restored with the previous settings intact. Check it out:

(I think I might have clicked LEFT at times but seemed consistent when Right Clicking and lassoing and clicking)

Joyfully,
Simeon

Just tried this with the latest SONAR build. It seems that the effects rack is restored with the previous settings intact. Check it out:
I appreciate this!
But in my own experience I've found that the previous settings being restored is dependent on the plugin, it does it for some, maybe even most. But there are definitely some plugins I use that it does not restore, unfortunately I don't remember which ones those are at the moment...

I appreciate this!
But in my own experience I've found that the previous settings being restored is dependent on the plugin, it does it for some, maybe even most. But there are definitely some plugins I use that it does not restore, unfortunately I don't remember which ones those are at the moment...
My pleasure, it continues to amaze me how each of us acclimate to particular workflows and they are as individual as our fingerprints.
It was off that just selecting the clip instead of lassoing did not delete the plugin at all but it persisted, which sounds a little inconsistent to me.
The saga continues.

Last edited:
Windows only unless you want the lighter Cakewalk version that looks like competition for Garageband.

Windows only unless you want the lighter Cakewalk version that looks like competition for Garageband.
I think Next will be interesting as it potentially can be that bridge for cross platform compatibility. They tried a MacOS port a few years ago but Next is the way to go as it is starting from ground zero. I am hopeful for what is ahead.

Yes, absolutely. That is (actually) a game-changer!
It really is! Seems Cakewalk is the first DAW to actually do this fully right (DP's articulation maps only go to -200/+200ms, whereas this goes all the way to -1000/+1000ms). Really impressive stuff!

I just looked at Sonar as a real opportunity moving forward, but for those with experience with it:

How well does it handle 1000+ track templates? That's a very important thing for me personally, as I am married to VEPro and I am a large template user on Nuendo.

If it can handle those types of templates well, consider me very, VERY interested. It looks to be better than Nuendo in certain areas that I run into, and Steinberg is drip-feeding fixes in several key-areas too slowly, Expression Maps being one area where it is really years overdue.

Top Bottom