What's new

Butterfly And Her Short Life

Vladimir Bulaev

Hi guys!

I rewrote my waltz with other libraries. For me, especially strings and woods began to play so much more expressively.
The strings are recorded in Sydney! Woodwinds, brass and percussion in Berlin, and harp in Los Angeles!:2thumbs:

Cinematic Studio Strings + Cinematic Studio Solo Strings,
Berlin Woodwinds,
Berlin Brass,
Berlin Percussion,
Cinesamples CineHarps.

Instrumentation: violins I, violins II, violas, celli, basses, piccolo flute, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoon, 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, tuba, timpani, bongos, 2 snare, bass drum, glockenspiel, tubular bells, marimba, celesta, cymbals, piatti, woodblocks, harp, acoustic guitar.

But for comparison, the first version played by the British Spitfier orchestra!:2thumbs:

Spitfire Symphonic Strings,
Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds,
Spitfire Symphonic Brass,
Spitfire Percussion,
Skaila Kanga Harp.

Instrumentation: violins I, violins II, violas, celli, basses, piccolo flute, 3 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoon, contrabassoon, 6 trumpets, 6 horns, 2 tenor trombones, tuba, timpani, bongos, 2 snare, bass drum, glockenspiel, tubular bells, marimba, cymbals, woodblocks, harp, acoustic guitar.

Мечтательно,лирично,мелодично! Просто красота!!!
Вторая версия звучит прекрасно! Более сбалансированно, пространство, на мой взгляд, подобрано удачнее. А какие вкусные струнные! Гобои и кларнеты особенно понравились. Да и флейта, наконец - таки, зазвучала вовремя, без запаздываний.
Спасибо за хорошую музыку, Володя!
Удачи во всем!

Very cool. I like the new version better. You changed some instrumentation too between versions, I see. Great job.
Thank you! I also like the new version, since I added some parts.:)

Мечтательно,лирично,мелодично! Просто красота!!!
Вторая версия звучит прекрасно! Более сбалансированно, пространство, на мой взгляд, подобрано удачнее. А какие вкусные струнные! Гобои и кларнеты особенно понравились. Да и флейта, наконец - таки, зазвучала вовремя, без запаздываний.
Спасибо за хорошую музыку, Володя!
Удачи во всем!
Спасибо большое за столь теплые слова!:)

V2 is very nice. V1 strings are not believable, they are fake excessive. And v2 balanced better. Good job.
Spitfire has quite good libraries, I especially like the percussion tone, but it's legato, they are fake. As soon as I heard amazing examples of string and wind instruments on this forum, I immediately understood what was needed.

..Oh, these butterflies...
Yeah. In the final, a beautiful butterfly dies in a flame of fire.

2414613_900.jpg

This is a great piece - I love it. Emotional, playful, and well orchestrated.

I really like also the comparison here between Berlin/CSS and Spitfire, it is very telling of how these libraries work.

Actually there are some parts of the Spitfire track that I liked better -- some parts with the woods and low strings particularly (ignoring the flute though, which I've never been a fan of the tone or playability). The Berlin version has some better main instruments I think: the Cinesamples harp, flute and strings all seem to work better here. I think it's mixed better also, and the instruments seem to blend together better, including the percussion. So overall it seems to work better than the Spitfire version.

I really like the sound of the Cinesamples harp. It made me go checkout if they still have their BF deal on, but nope... too late.

Not to say I don't like Spitfire Symphonic Strings (I use them a lot), but in this case it seems a smaller ensemble like SCS would have done better, or maybe layering SSS with SCS. Or better yet, what I often do, which is layer SSS and CSS, so you get the wonderful legatos, with a richer sound, and I think gives a wonderful result. Just replace the Spitfire flute with Berlin, and maybe bring in more close mic for the Spitfire harp, tweak it all a bit, and the Spitfire version would do better.

Anyway, I shouldn't let the library comparisons detract from the actual piece. I really like it, and have listened to it a few times now over the last few days. :thumbsup:

Great Piece!! Very well done. I prefer the remake. It just sounded more musical to my ears. But the first one did also sound good. But... anyhow it is great music and that came through in both versions, and thats whats the most important... IMHO:)

This is a great piece - I love it. Emotional, playful, and well orchestrated.

I really like also the comparison here between Berlin/CSS and Spitfire, it is very telling of how these libraries work.

Actually there are some parts of the Spitfire track that I liked better -- some parts with the woods and low strings particularly (ignoring the flute though, which I've never been a fan of the tone or playability). The Berlin version has some better main instruments I think: the Cinesamples harp, flute and strings all seem to work better here. I think it's mixed better also, and the instruments seem to blend together better, including the percussion. So overall it seems to work better than the Spitfire version.

I really like the sound of the Cinesamples harp. It made me go checkout if they still have their BF deal on, but nope... too late.

Not to say I don't like Spitfire Symphonic Strings (I use them a lot), but in this case it seems a smaller ensemble like SCS would have done better, or maybe layering SSS with SCS. Or better yet, what I often do, which is layer SSS and CSS, so you get the wonderful legatos, with a richer sound, and I think gives a wonderful result. Just replace the Spitfire flute with Berlin, and maybe bring in more close mic for the Spitfire harp, tweak it all a bit, and the Spitfire version would do better.

Anyway, I shouldn't let the library comparisons detract from the actual piece. I really like it, and have listened to it a few times now over the last few days.
Thanks for the detailed comment! Maybe in the future I will still be experimenting with mixing different string libraries for new compositions. But now for me a ligament of CSS with CSSS is still my favorite and mainstream.

Great Piece!! Very well done. I prefer the remake. It just sounded more musical to my ears. But the first one did also sound good. But... anyhow it is great music and that came through in both versions, and thats whats the most important... IMHO:)
Thank you Maxfabian!

The piece is quite lovely and I have listened to it for quite some time now. V2 is a good improvement and I especially like the harmonies at 2:00. The flutter in Berlin Woodwinds sounds much more controlled, which serves here very well.

While v2 sounds great and lively with CSS, I still like the Spitfire sound, maybe even prefer the general sound of the strings. The Spitfire flute does sound closer though, so I'm curious how a different mix would make the versions more even.

Very nice composition. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed both versions. I hear more details and realism in OT's woodwinds, compared to Spitfire WW. The Spitfire Strings version sounded fuller, richer, and more realistic to my ears than the CSS + CSSS version.

Top Bottom