What's new

Bushido - live orchestra w/ score follow

Thank you for all you feedback on the previous score follow videos!

I've tried to optimize the videos with this short orchestral piece with a japanese inspired theme:

All questions and comments are welcomed!

Sounds great. Very direct and effective. Thanks for sharing the score on youtube also, I will definitely watch the video again to check out your work.

It seems real. I like to follow the melodies on the music score as you do. It's very educational. Thanks for sharing it.

Really nice to follow the score and listen to this beautifully and very well orchestrated music though I did more have a Horner/Braveheart - Holst/Planets/Jupiter feeling (and take this in a good way as it is ment as compliment) then with a Japanese inspired theme, but maybe also because I just recently listened again to these both pieces.
Lovely work Bryla!

Really nice to follow the score and listen to this beautifully and very well orchestrated music though I did more have a Horner/Braveheart - Holst/Planets/Jupiter feeling (and take this in a good way as it is ment as compliment) then with a Japanese inspired theme, but maybe also because I just recently listened again to these both pieces.
Lovely work Bryla!
Thanks! You nailed my references!

@Illico the piece was performed by a real orchestra for sure.
@bryla the mix already is very good and I doubt you can make it any better. Maybe a little details here and there, but they won't be noticeable for a listener. Good job, by the way. I liked your orchestration - it is simple and effective. Melody and chords are similar to Holst's in some ways, but they work and feel very nice.
I think that you managed to make a piece which those who don't know orchestration can start with.

Last edited:
@Illico the piece was performed by a real orchestra for sure.
@bryla the mix already is very good and I doubt you can make it any better. Maybe a little details here and there, but they won't be noticeable for a listener. Good job, by the way. I liked your orchestration - it is simple and effective. Melody and chords are similar to Holst's in some ways, but they work and feel very nice.
I think that you managed to make a piece which those who doesn't know orchestration can start with.
Thanks!
Regarding mix: I simply feel I've learned a lot from making these three versions.

Would you mind to elaborate a bit about some details you changed in the three versions.?
Well the difference between V1 (the video) and V2 is described in the second post.
The third version I started from scratch. First of all NO mixer emulation plug-ins like VTM, VMR, NLS and BX_console that I used on the first two. Simply too much drive in them. I like their tone, but I need to figure out a way to use them still.
Basically only compressed the percussion bus and EQ'ed each bus. Strings and Hall with the Air band of the MAAG EQ and the AirEQ and CS Lift from VMR on woods and brass.
Brass was compressed more - both on single channels and on bus. I think they stand out better in the third version - especially the trumpet counter melody.
More reverb and I used the tonal balance in Ozone with LOTR as reference. Also used a gentle maximizing.

Well the difference between V1 (the video) and V2 is described in the second post.
The third version I started from scratch. First of all NO mixer emulation plug-ins like VTM, VMR, NLS and BX_console that I used on the first two. Simply too much drive in them. I like their tone, but I need to figure out a way to use them still.
Basically only compressed the percussion bus and EQ'ed each bus. Strings and Hall with the Air band of the MAAG EQ and the AirEQ and CS Lift from VMR on woods and brass.
Brass was compressed more - both on single channels and on bus. I think they stand out better in the third version - especially the trumpet counter melody.
More reverb and I used the tonal balance in Ozone with LOTR as reference. Also used a gentle maximizing.
Thank you. This is interesting. I use the waves ssl channel quite often but found out often less is more. I can imagine this is even more true in well captured real recordings.

Thank you. This is interesting. I use the waves ssl channel quite often but found out often less is more. I can imagine this is even more true in well captured real recordings.
Probably. Usually I just sit by the mixer and suddenly everything sounds amazing! :)

@bryla great track, great recording. I much prefer the 3rd mix, as it seems to feel more natural, more like the sound of a live orchestra when one is in the room, which is the sound I prefer. I struggle to get a sound somewhat like it with samples, but never quite succeeding.

My only complaint is that it is too short. We have heard the melody three times, now I want to hear what comes next? What are you going to do with this melody?

Very solid orchestration. My one thought is that you must be having to pull down on the faders for the trombones rather a lot. Or perhaps they just played every marking about two levels softer than marked on the score. But live musicians can do that sort of thing far better than we can in a mixing room.

Top Bottom