What's new

Building up from scratch

vitocorleone123

Where would one look for small (I have a full time day job), low-paying sound design / editing tasks?

I’ll soon have the oh so massive (ha!) credits of:

* Produce the intro audio cue used in dozens of soon to be public short videos in a series for a well known niche brand

* Dialog clean up of multiple public videos for an application of the same brand

I leveraged those as an extension of my day job, which is UX Designer. I’m a hobbyist musician and love the mixing aspect. I’d happily look for small work for low pay to have fun, use and develop skills, and maybe get a few bucks to help pay off some software.

Is this totally ridiculous?

I think it's totally possible to find work like that in the indie gamedev scene. Without a proper portfolio you'll have to make concessions like offering a "satisfied or money back guarantuee" and deliver your work before you get paid, but it should help you build up your portfolio so that you can soon present yourself with more confidence. You can either join a gamedev community, get to know people and pitch your skills directly to teams that you think you'd work well with, or you can go to a site like https://connect.unity.com/ and offer your services there. Good luck!

Thanks! I really had no idea how or where to even begin. This’d never be a main source of income, so the pay isn’t critical - though I certainly wouldn’t complain about getting paid!

I’ll wait until I actually have done the dialog clean up task rather than being told about it. The other one should be public around that time as well.

Top Bottom