What's new

Blown away by Berlin Strings (Kontakt-version)

The problem with these sorts of solutions, which is what I use when I have to do it, is that Logic insists on recording the automation with the midi channel of the selected articulation in the articulation set. Though Logic will show and allow you to write automation to “any channel” there seems to be no way to get it to default to writing it that way so long as you are assigning articulations to midi channels. So you inevitably end up with situations of, say, modwheel data on multiple channels and the conflicts that then arise when you try to convert them with this sort of script. It’s not unworkable but it still presents lots of frictions.
Long before articulation IDs I used Peter Schwartz' ArtsID system. He offered a script that cloned CC to all midi-channels and you only needed to edit ch. 1. At least as far as I remember. And there used to be similar script from a VI member too, but I don't remember the name.

Long before articulation IDs I used Peter Schwartz' ArtsID system. He offered a script that cloned CC to all midi-channels and you only needed to edit ch. 1. At least as far as I remember. And there used to be similar script from a VI member too, but I don't remember the name.
There’s an event chaser script that I’ve used. And I’ve used the multiscript for Kontakt that Babylon Waves supplies with its articulation sets. They are both good and they both clone the CC and work fine so long as you are only recording midi. The problems start when you edit midi or change articulations that cross midi channels because then you end up with modulation on multiple midi channels and the scripts that propagate to all channels create conflicts as they read the automation on multiple channels. So you have to go into the automation and delete it or remember to go in and move it from one channel to another, which is another thing that for one reason or another Logic doesn’t make easy to do.

These solutions work and make it useable up to a certain point but they still come with considerable frictions and ones that I prefer not to deal with those frictions if I don’t have to. So with Berlin Strings I have lots of alternatives to it that work much better with my workflow so I’ll tend to use BS only for particular things—more like the Special Bows—rather than as a workhorse, which is what I’d do if I didn’t have to fight the automation problems or deal with its part being spread across four or five tracks.

You are welcome!

Well, Ariel from OT Support got back to me 8:47 PM last Monday, which of course I wasn't expecting at all, so you never know :)
I’ve generally had very good experiences with OT support. It’s rare they don’t respond within 24 hours even on weekends.

There’s an event chaser script that I’ve used. And I’ve used the multiscript for Kontakt that Babylon Waves supplies with its articulation sets. They are both good and they both clone the CC and work fine so long as you are only recording midi. The problems start when you edit midi or change articulations that cross midi channels because then you end up with modulation on multiple midi channels and the scripts that propagate to all channels create conflicts as they read the automation on multiple channels. So you have to go into the automation and delete it or remember to go in and move it from one channel to another, which is another thing that for one reason or another Logic doesn’t make easy to do.

These solutions work and make it useable up to a certain point but they still come with considerable frictions and ones that I prefer not to deal with those frictions if I don’t have to. So with Berlin Strings I have lots of alternatives to it that work much better with my workflow so I’ll tend to use BS only for particular things—more like the Special Bows—rather than as a workhorse, which is what I’d do if I didn’t have to fight the automation problems or deal with its part being spread across four or five tracks.
I agree that editing CC on different Midi channels is a nightmare, but I had ALL Berlin String articulations, including runs, sfx, special bows spread across different Midi channels on one Logic track within VE-Pro. I only recorded and edited CCs on Midi-Ch. 1 and the script cloned it to all other channels. So it‘s possible with the right tools. But maybe I got you wrong, so I apologize if I did !

I agree that editing CC on different Midi channels is a nightmare, but I had ALL Berlin String articulations, including runs, sfx, special bows spread across different Midi channels on one Logic track within VE-Pro. I only recorded and edited CCs on Midi-Ch. 1 and the script cloned it to all other channels. So it‘s possible with the right tools. But maybe I got you wrong, so I apologize if I did !
No offense! I’ve just always had issues whenever I’ve tried to get this to work. It starts out fine but then I start editing the midi and conflicts arise, I find automation inexplicably being written to the wrong midi channel (that is, other than channel 1) when I try to edit it or add it because the articulation is on a midi channel other than channel 1 and Logic wants to be helpful, etc. so I end up having to break the instrument out to multiple tracks to get it to behave but then the instrument is now spread across multiple tracks…

Had a bit of an issue which I've contacted NI about (nothing to do with Library, just an error I made that hopefully they can help sort).
But spent about an hour using the Kontakt version and I'm already convinced this is going to be a main part of my template going forward.
Flaws off the bat are unwanted sounds, Brass not really going to FFF and some inconsistencies and other issues with different RRs. HOWEVER, my first library last year was BBCSO so it prepared me nicely for all the issues Berlin has. And weirdly I like the background sounds and sound of the Teledex, to me, it gives a live feel to it. And although I literally had to alter my whole template for this and had to add Articulations I wanted on seperate channels etc, Again, the BBCSO templates prepared me for this.

This library is definitely something that is an acquired taste to some degree (in my amateur opinion), but thanks to what I already bought since I started last year, it works for me.

Here's what I've made in the last hour to try test it out. It isn't properly mixed, CC's ain't polished perfectly but just to show that even an Amateur can create something decent with this once you've set it up and gotten used to it.

Attachments

• Berlin Orchestra Test.mp3
    2.7 MB
Had a bit of an issue which I've contacted NI about (nothing to do with Library, just an error I made that hopefully they can help sort).
But spent about an hour using the Kontakt version and I'm already convinced this is going to be a main part of my template going forward.
Flaws off the bat are unwanted sounds, Brass not really going to FFF and some inconsistencies and other issues with different RRs. HOWEVER, my first library last year was BBCSO so it prepared me nicely for all the issues Berlin has. And weirdly I like the background sounds and sound of the Teledex, to me, it gives a live feel to it. And although I literally had to alter my whole template for this and had to add Articulations I wanted on seperate channels etc, Again, the BBCSO templates prepared me for this.

This library is definitely something that is an acquired taste to some degree (in my amateur opinion), but thanks to what I already bought since I started last year, it works for me.

Here's what I've made in the last hour to try test it out. It isn't properly mixed, CC's ain't polished perfectly but just to show that even an Amateur can create something decent with this once you've set it up and gotten used to it.
Very very nice!

Top Bottom