What's new

Best VI Drum Machine?

Microtonic is one of the few synth based drum machines whereas most others are sample based. Spark2 and Breaktweaker do have synth engines as well as samples although I would imagine microtonic is easier for synth drums. I personally don't care whether it's synth or samples a long as I like the results. I really like Breaktweaker.
Sample Magic has Klip on sale for $22 under VSTBuzz right now. It looks cool for interesting sounds.
Stylus RMX still stands the test of time for drum loop manipulation.
UVI also has some cool looking drum machines and I've always considered getting Giest but Since I own Breaktweaker and Spark 2 and Stylus, Damage, Havoc and much more I haven't felt it a priority.

+1 for Kontrete & Electro-Acoustic by Soniccouture.

Addictive Drums 2 has a Kit & MIDI pack, both called Reel Machines. Cool sounds & MIDI, but I wouldn't get AD2 for its "sequencer".

Hello,

I recently bought u-he zebra 2 and Diva and experimenting with some electro sounds with my main focus on cinematic vibes.

Can you recommend a good drum VI? Something that covers 80's to modern electro / cinematic music?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Patrick
Breaktweaker expanded is on sale for $49 right now at JRRShop. That's a steal! The expansion packs are great and it even includes a cinematic expansion pack. Plugin guru has some great add ons for this library as well. I never thought I'd see Izotope have sales like this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the further recommendations. Will check them out.

Cheers,
Patrick :)

I have many (if not most) of the drum machine plugins listed here. They all do what they're designed to do, which is to produce "that sound", or, in effect, to sound like every other drum machine on the list. "That sound" being an imitation of old Roland drum machines. Yawn. It is greatly ironic that in an age when technology that has made producing new and original music easier than ever, almost everyone is trying to sound the same. Honestly, be it pop music, or film scoring, this may be the most unoriginal era in the history of music.

Regardless, in my opinion, out of all the drum plugins that I'm aware of, there is only one that truly stands out as something unique, innovative and inspiring, and that is Microtonic. Really, no one else is even in the same league.

This is not to say one can't get unique, cool stuff out of these other units. But it takes a lot of effort. Whereas Microtonic just drips originality. And considering the OPs request for something different, and something that can be used cinematically, I really don't think there's much competition.

Of course, Microtonic can sound like an 808, too. And if "that sound" is what you need, it really does that better than most as well. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Microtonic is going to be hard to beat. If you’re online you have access to, literally, and unlimited number of beats and sounds, all tweakable and infinitely changable via copy/paste with synth controls, grids, fills and so much more.

Revolution is a solid “rompler” drum machine. Love the sounds. Perfect for 80’s retro.

DM307 is the cinematic choice but also the modern producer “in your face” vibe. Plenty of styles.

I'm a drummer so I need to give my expert advice here.

#1) DO NOT even touch a drum or drum machine VST unless you are wearing leather pants
#2) Turn the volume of the drum sounds up to 11. Turn the cymbals up to 12.5. If it's too loud you're too old
#3) You'll need some sort of hydraulic riser to put your drum machine VST on. The higher it levitates the better you're drums will sound
#4) Tempo map the track so that it speeds up when a girl enters the room. It can be tricky scripting this in Kontakt but really adds to the realism.
#5) Never program or tap a rhythm in unless you are completely shitfaced drunk. If not you might accidentally tap the notes on beat and totally screw up the track.

Just a few pointers from a real drummer to help you lay down some serious grooves. ;)

I'm a drummer so I need to give my expert advice here.

Just a few pointers from a real drummer to help you lay down some serious grooves. ;)

As a fellow drummer I have to completely and wholeheartedly concur. Especially if the hydraulic lift in #3 has the ability to spin 360 degrees (with your drum machine securely strapped in, of course, otherwise you risk extreme embarrassment and emasculating opinions).

How 'bout rubber pants ??
No votes yet for __ getgooddrums.com
Anyone here who has used and can comment ??

How 'bout rubber pants ??
No votes yet for __ getgooddrums.com
Anyone here who has used and can comment ??
this topic is about drum machines, not multisampled acoustic drums.

but ggd is a fine product if you're going for that modern prog metal drum sound. because the upper dynamic layers are all rimshots, so its pretty limited in that regard. Its either cracking rim hits or ghost notes. It does what it does pretty well though.

Top Bottom