What's new

Best Saturation plugin?

I've been looking into getting some analog style saturation. Kelvin from Tone Projects is so good.

It has a couple of transformer and tube algos that you can combine in two stages. Also a pre and post EQ to shape the audio even more. Finally a soft clipper at the end of the chain. Sounds great and adds lots of mojo. And yes it does oversampling.

It does feel like it's alive unlike all the other saturators I've been comparing it with today (Saturn 2, PSP Saturator, and Spicerack).

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a gate or envelope follower like Saturn or SpiceRack. This does help for transients and such.

@Pier

Have you checked out the Coil CA-70S that MixWave made into a plugin?
It’s another really nice saturation plugin.

@Pier

Time to check all current saturation tools ... as these mentioned (3) @ $99. ea. gotta be amazing ....
🤷🏻‍♂️ 🐤

I find saturation sounds the best when it’s accumulated across the mix in small amounts, currently loving rc20, arturia collection options, black box hg2, newfangled invigorate, UA tapes, and the fuse 60s guitar amp one (forgot its name). Need to check Kelvin out again it’s been gathering dust.

I hadn't but just tried it out.

Sounds great but it's a single tube model. I'm sure the modeling is top notch but it seems for people who really want that very specific sound. And the workflow is quite limited.

I hadn't but just tried it out.

Sounds great but it's a single tube model. I'm sure the modeling is top notch but it seems for people who really want that very specific sound. And the workflow is quite limited.
Yeah all valid points,it’s another color and it’s a really beautiful color! There’s reason we all have several saturation plugin,reverbs,tape emulations,compressors etc…….the good ones add something a little different to the palette.
Some are more versatile,some are more unique or specialized,they’re all great,lol
Mix and spice to taste. 👍

Softube Harmonics, Tape, PA HG-2, UAD Distressor, UAD Manley Tube Preamp, UAD Studer & Oxide, Decapitator...

Some of these I even technically got for free (PA & Softube, latter through selling what I didn't need off of the PB bundles, which afterwards also helped me buy UAD).

I've never thought I had so much saturators...but I do, huh? What a bizarre thing...

Last edited:
Softube Harmonics, Tape, PA HG-2, UAD Distressor, UAD Manley Tube Preamp, UAD Studer & Oxide, Decapitator...

Some of these I even technically got for free (PA & Softube, latter through selling what I didn't need off of the PB bundles, which afterwards also helped me buy UAD).

I've never thought I had so much saturators...but I do, huh? What a bizarre thing...
Absolutely,lol I have all of those too.🤪
It’s like eating chips,are you only going to have one?

I have a lot of saturators and change them out a lot. Tbh there isn’t much between them. The ones I gravitate to are the native Redlight in Studio One, Decap, and the console plugins from Sonimus. Those often go under the radar, but are superb!

Kelvin is on sale now for $69

Uuuuuugh I guess it's finally time to get it... 😭😂 It's just too well-loved and I'm such a sucker for good-quality saturation. We'll see if it dethrones my beloved Neold and Fuse champions!

Uuuuuugh I guess it's finally time to get it... 😭😂 It's just too well-loved and I'm such a sucker for good-quality saturation. We'll see if it dethrones my beloved Neold and Fuse champions!
Personally, I'd demo X-Saturator, Silverbullet, Oxide, Destructor, El Juan, and some others first.

But, yes, many people do love Kelvin (I'm just not one of them) so it's also worth a demo - it's not like it's a bad plugin by any measure!

Personally, I'd demo X-Saturator, Silverbullet, Oxide, Destructor, El Juan, and some others first.

But, yes, many people do love Kelvin (I'm just not one of them) so it's also worth a demo - it's not like it's a bad plugin by any measure!
I keep forgetting I have Kelvin. I like it, it sounds good but to my ears...maybe a bit tame.

NEOLD U2A with just a tiny bit of compression and the drive circuit set around 25-28% has really been working for me on individual synth instrument tracks and drum bus lately.

Hello everybody,

i am about to buy a plugin for Audio Saturation (harmonics -> to overdrive). What are the best options? I am aware of these:
  • U-he Satin
  • Waves Tape
  • Elevate Bundle Saturation plugin
  • Mixbus Bus channel strip
  • Beatzkills Goliath
  • PSP Vintage Warmer
  • Softube Saturation Knob
  • Softube Tape
  • Kush Omega
  • Fabfilter Saturn
  • Soundtoys Decapitator
  • iZotope Neutron, Ozone saturation function
  • ToneBoosters Reel and Ferox
  • Audio Assault HeadCrusher
what is the best saturator at the market?

(i will be editing the list)
Any of the following:

Fabfilter - Saturn 2
Heavyocity - Fury
iZotope - Trash/Trash 2
iZotope - Ozone/Neutron Exciter
Klanghelm - SDRR
Plugin Alliance - Black Box Analog Design HG-2
Softube - Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor
Softube - Saturation Knob
Softube - Tape
Soundtoys - Decapitator/Radiator

Last edited:
I keep forgetting I have Kelvin. I like it, it sounds good but to my ears...maybe a bit tame.

NEOLD U2A with just a tiny bit of compression and the drive circuit set around 25-28% has really been working for me on individual synth instrument tracks and drum bus lately.
I guess what you refer to as “tame” is what I like about Kelvin. Generally I prefer saturation plugins that don’t punch you in the face with too much obvious plugin saturation. I like being able to use something like this to add just enough to bring a track or patch to life but I want it to be somewhat subtle.

I guess what you refer to as “tame” is what I like about Kelvin. Generally I prefer saturation plugins that don’t punch you in the face with too much obvious plugin saturation. I like being able to use something like this to add just enough to bring a track or patch to life but I want it to be somewhat subtle.
It’s good to have that. I really like SSL X-Saturator for that. It cost $15 or so and I still have and use it for subtlety (generally with all or mostly even harmonics). Silver bullet is also excellent at subtle to moderate and was $25 but takes more CPU along with having more capability - including an EQ a la Kelvin.

Just encouraging people to look around is all. If someone demos Kelvin and loves how it sounds and how it works, then chances are, that $65 or whatnot will be money well spent.

Any of the following:

Fabfilter - Saturn 2
Heavyocity - Fury
iZotope - Trash/Trash 2
iZotope - Ozone/Neutron Exciter
Klanghelm - SDRR/IVGI (Free)
Plugin Alliance - Black Box Analog Design HG-2
Softube - Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor
Softube - Saturation Knob (Free)
Softube - Tape/Dirty Tape
Soundtoys - Decapitator/Radiator
Typo? You surely mean ALL of the following. :)

This thing is pretty fantastic:

I know, I know...more new stuff.

Yep. It’s good. Only thing by the Tone Projects that i like and would get. But it’s not $175 on sale good enough - it’s not that much better or different from what i have available to me. Under $100 and it becomes more of a splurge, but everyone has different thresholds.

To circle back to your point: it’s good! 😃

Top Bottom