What's new

Bernard Herman 101

tc9000

Absolute Member
Bernard Herman is the composer you already know (assuming you are of a certain age). His music will be immediately familar to older forum members, and is also highly recommended listening for the non-elderly composers out there šŸ˜‚.

Dark, brooding, dream-like, disturbing, melancholy, thought-provoking are some adjectives that come to mind... anyways, listen up: it's Bernard Herman, yo!

Iā€™m in the middle of reading A Heart at Fireā€™s Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann. It is quite thorough, and for a film music fan quite interesting.

He really has done wonderful work. From radio, tv, film, and concert music there is a lot to explore. Iā€™m sure these are probably in the video you posted, but here are just a few outstanding works:

And of course Psycho and many more.

Finally a talk about some actual composer. :scout:

Dark, brooding, dream-like, disturbing, melancholy, thought-provoking are some adjectives that come to mind... anyways, listen up: it's Bernard Herman, yo!

Heck yeah, I adore his harmonic language. So evocative.

And I love his orchestrating skills, like the controlled madness in North by Northwest.

These 3 minutes are way more interesting than literally hours upon hours of modern hollywood music.

Great stuff, the entire soundtrack. šŸ‘Œ

Some great videos! keep posting them! I love Herrmann so much.. I wrote an essay when I was at college on Cape Fear - its a really interesting one as Elmer Bernstein re-worked the score for the Scorsese remake (plus a few little extras!) .. I made it into a vid during lockdown in 2020. hopefully of interest !! here it is anyway -

Some great videos! keep posting them! I love Herrmann so much.. I wrote an essay when I was at college on Cape Fear - its a really interesting one as Elmer Bernstein re-worked the score for the Scorsese remake (plus a few little extras!) .. I made it into a vid during lockdown in 2020. hopefully of interest !! here it is anyway -

That has to be one of my favourite videos of yours Paul. I have watched it so many times during those horrible lockdown moments. And it directly lead to me purchasing BHCT as well. Your shared knowledge of orchestration is really valuable, and it is highly appreciated!

These 3 minutes are way more interesting than literally hours upon hours of modern hollywood music.
I donā€™t think all music which is ā€˜advancedā€™ necessarily is better than music thatā€™s ā€˜simpleā€™ ā€“ but unfortunately, most of what I hear in typical Hollywood scores is closer to what usually is called muzak than music. I admire those who can compose brilliant music (a highly subjective term, I know) with few and non-complicated ingredients though ā€“ but (again, according to my personal taste) there seems to be a lot of cliche repetitions in most film music today.

For me, I love what Herman does with the low orchestra. The Taxi Driver OST is full of deep low horn and woods swells and crescendos, biting reeds... and those nasty muted brass stabs and chatters... but overall its the menacing yet hypnotic tone throughout that I keep coming back to... so good!

Perhaps this may serve someone here ... It's free ....

Top Bottom