What's new

Benn Jordan says more than half of music gear owners aren't really making music on it

"Finished" is subjective. I consider every piece I stop working on finished. Of course some may not be as thoroughly chewed as others.
I agree with you, I have tracks that I consider "finished" but I still feel like they need more work to sound even better and I put them on hold and work on other projects to gain more experience and when I will have developed better skills I will return to those projects to improve them and maybe even publish them.

One wonders how many of those Biggest Library Disappointment posts are actually about experiences were people were TOLD the library they bought is bad, because they haven’t actually ever even downloaded it?
Oh, yep that's a thing.
There's also an element of "accepted internet wisdom" - that somehow everyone agrees that a given library "doesn't do a certain thing very well."

That one annoys me sometimes. 🤣

Oh, yep that's a thing.
There's also an element of "accepted internet wisdom" - that somehow everyone agrees that a given library "doesn't do a certain thing very well."

That one annoys me sometimes. 🤣
I hear you. Annoys me too. And on the other hand I am well aware I am 100% part of dozens of group thinks and the amplification of certain myths myself. Human nature?

Example: “VSL > synthetic / sterile sound”. Someone comes in and asks about VSL strings, any good? I would likely at some point, in an effort to be nuanced, say: “Some say that….” thus planting the seeds in this person to already have that adjective anchored when they think of VSL strings. This when I personally have never really even thought that they sound sterile.

Last edited:
may i add a comparison? a lot of women buy clothes, bag and shoes and maybe wear them just one time or they actually never wear them because one month later they don't see themselves fit in them! :D

I've been through the cycle of buying studio stuff and making music a few times, always as a hobby.

I could have spent money on angling. Or cycling. Or stamp collecting.

But I enjoy making music and that's enough reward.

I've recently finished my first ever solo album after having made lots of songs with bands in the past. Being able to upload to streaming and effectively release an album is quite cool, as long as you're aware of the fact that you are one of 100,000 other songs released that day!

'Finishing' the album has been very rewarding. I'll get zero plays as I have a day job and a family so have no ambitions beyond being able to ask Siri to play my album on the HomePod and Siri knowing who I am LoL

I was still enjoying buying audio software and making music regardless of whether I manage to make any songs or not.

Anyway. Clicking that "distribute" button was quite cathartic and a little bit scary. It's also up on Bandcamp and it's worth it just for the feeling that it's finished. No more tweaks. It's done.

Bottom Line. As an amateur, I've enjoyed making music for decades. I've enjoyed buying gear and plug-ins and don't regret spending money on stuff -- even the stuff that I never use.

Being able to release an album thanks to the change in marketplace is the cherry on top even though it's now so demoratised that releasing a song on to the streaming platforms is effectively worthless these days. But still, there was no other way it was ever going to happen!

The sense of satisfaction is pretty cool. Even though it's probably very short-lived and the future involves looking at stats showing zero plays to pee on my parade :)

If you enjoy researching and buying plug-ins and then never make anything tangible with it, so what?

You could have bought a guitar or a piano and just strummed and plonked them. Music is music. you don't have to actually write and produce music to be a musician. It's up to you what you spend your money on...

Last edited:
I've been through the cycle of buying studio stuff and making music a few times, always as a hobby.

I could have spent money on angling. Or cycling. Or stamp collecting.

But I enjoy making music and that's enough reward.

I've recently finished my first ever solo album after having made lots of songs with bands in the past. Being able to upload to streaming and effectively release an album is quite cool, as long as you're aware of the fact that you are one of 100,000 other songs released that day!

'Finishing' the album has been very rewarding. I'll get zero plays as I have a day job and a family so have no ambitions beyond being able to ask Siri to play my album on the HomePod and Siri knowing who I am LoL

I was still enjoying buying audio software and making music regardless of whether I manage to make any songs or not.

Anyway. Clicking that "distribute" button was quite cathartic and a little bit scary. It's also up on Bandcamp and it's worth it just for the feeling that it's finished. No more tweaks. It's done.

Bottom Line. As an amateur, I've enjoyed making music for decades. I've enjoyed buying gear and plug-ins and don't regret spending money on stuff -- even the stuff that I never use.

Being able to release an album thanks to the change in marketplace is the cherry on top even though it's now so demoratised that releasing a song on to the streaming platforms is effectively worthless these days. But still, there was no other way it was ever going to happen!

The sense of satisfaction is pretty cool. Even though it's probably very short-lived and the future involves looking at stats showing zero plays to pee on my parade :)

If you enjoy researching and buying plug-ins and then never make anything tangible with it, so what?

You could have bought a guitar or a piano and just strummed and plonked them. Music is music. you don't have to actually write and produce music to be a musician. It's up to you what you spend your money on...
I'm a hobbyist and this is what I do. Whilst I always tell myself that I need cheaper hobbies I don't regret spending money on this.

And those upload/distribute buttons may as well read "Finished, stop tweaking" as that's what they are for me too.

I know that this is hard to implement but I believe people would need some sort of trial for a library, to see if it's actually worth your money and if it is truly what you look for instead of relying on subjective opinions of others. I live in a rather poor country and I cannot afford to make financial mistakes, others as you mentioned just throw around money on libraries that they don't even use. I am not going off topic mentioning how screwed up the world is but I believe it is right for a customer to try the product that he/she wants to buy, but as I said unfortunately this is hard to implement. It's not like you can send a library to someone and hope they delete it if they do not like it 😂 . I heard there are some libraries that have trial periods but I work with Kontakt and I never seen such features there.

The whole Eurorack modular synth craze is based (in my opinion), largely on people who just get loads of pleasure from creating patches and exploring sound in the moment. It's not about making a track, or a product, or whatever.

I think that's liberating, and purer.

The whole Eurorack modular synth craze is based (in my opinion), largely on people who just get loads of pleasure from creating patches and exploring sound in the moment. It's not about making a track, or a product, or whatever.

I think that's liberating, and purer.
I'll buy "Liberating,", but "Purer?" How about "Noisier?"

People also collect instruments they cannot play or even want to learn it. My big moment of insight was when I saw a Fender Stratocaster worth probably a few thousand bucks in a guy’s flat. The rooms were practically empty except for some packaging of the latest Apple products on display in his cupboards. The guy did not play guitar and had no ambition to learn. He just bought it as a piece of furniture to fill his empty life with some meaning, just because he had the funds for it. On top of that he payed someone to “professionally” age the guitar (in a very distasteful way).

Personally, I am torn when I see such things. Should I cry or laugh out loud or something in between. But this is the ideology of the western world: when you got the money to spend, you earned it. No questions asked! Well, that is why I do believe our system is rotten to its core! We actually gave up on practically all ethics and the meaning of life as a focus for our deeds and replaced it with money, consumption and capitalism. That is why we suck!

Last edited:
^ On the other hand, I just bought a(nother) bass from my boss who realized it's been only a decoration at his home for years.

Now I have five different basses for different purposes. Please send help.

Part of the reason I've cut down on buying sample libraries is because I discovered I was spending more time "auditioning" them and less time making music with them. I'm convinced it's better to have a core group of sample libraries that you always use (think Anne-Kathrin Dern) instead of every freaking string, brass, and woodwind library known to man.

Top Bottom