What's new

Basstraps

hbuus

I'm gonna install some basstraps in my little bedroom studio (see photo).
I'd like to add 1 panel behind each monitor, and then panels from floor to ceiling in the corner facing my setup.

Would this be a good choice for panels? :
(broken link removed)

(most of this is in Swedish; sorry guys! - but the absorption data is readable :) )

Format: 1200x600x50

Färg: Vit eller Svart

Absorptions klass: A Uppbyggnad: Kärna av 100% akustisk polyester och ett ytskikt av flamsäker polyesternonwoven

Ingående detaljer: med eller utan ram

Montering: Med ram hängs absorbenten på 2st skruva, som en tavla

ABSORPTION.

63 125 250 500 1´ 2´ 4´ αw

50mm 0,05 0,25 0,55 0,85 1,0 0,95 0,90 0,85

50mm + 50mm luftspalt 0,30 0,65 0,95 1,0 0,90 0,90 0,90 0,80

50mm + 200mm luftspalt 0,10 0,40 0,85 0,95 0,85 0,95 0,95 0,95

Thanks.

Best,
Henrik

Attachments

• IMG_1794-even smaller.jpg
    IMG_1794-even smaller.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 217
Looking at your room, you might want to go here:

(broken link removed)

I used their products (amongst other products) for my room and was extremely happy with the quality/price ratio. They are pretty good at specifying what you might need.

It's hard to tell how those traps work from the pictures, but if they're thin (someone help me - I can't think of the word - it's not foam, but some kind of semi-solid insulation material) then the frequencies they absorb are going to be high...unless they're mounted with some trapped air behind them, i.e. they're at the front of an enclosed box. Are they?

Looking at the picture of your room and guessing that it's pretty small, I'd suggest sticking something like covered mattresses (thick, broadband) behind your speakers. The things Jack linked look like they'd work very well, or you could make something yourself.

And Jeff is right. Ethan knows a lot and doesn't know a lot. :)

His bass traps are very good by all accounts, though.

I have to agree with Nick that the "traps" you linked look awfully thin for bass. Bass needs thickness in a trap in order to be absorbed.

The corner traps that Jack linked looked pretty good to me.

I wonder with most of these products, though, if they're truly *bass* traps . . . or if they're just broadband traps. True "bass" traps are pretty tricky business (I built my own for my own studio) and they're generally tuned to a specific frequency. But broadband traps should be fine for most any home type situation.

If you want to go really cheap, you can make your own broadband traps with ordinary fiberglass (same stuff you'd get at Home Depot) covered in cloth. To make it look somewhat slick, you could staple the fiberglass into the corner of the room (right into the drywall,) then cover this with cloth stretched over frames made out of 1"x2" pieces of wood. It's really easy and cheap, plus you can use almost any kind of cloth, so you can make it look however you want.

Likewise, you can make 2'x4' panels (that you could hang on the wall) the same way, except this time make a frame out of 1"x4" wood (so that the frame will be 4" think,) fill the inside with ordinary fiberglass, then cover it with cloth. Easy and cheap.

If you want to go pro (and still cheap,) use Owens Corning 703 fiberglass. It's a little different from regular household fiberglass in that it's rigid and fairly stiff, so it will stay in place. And it's already cut into 2'x4' rectangles, so it's easy as pie to drop into those frames you build. It's specifically designed for sound applications, but you usually have to special order it. It's also a little more expensive, but not by that much.

You can save a ton of money by doing this yourself. At my son's elementary school, they had huge problems with their auditorium. It was all hard surfaces and the echo was out of control. They got a bid for over 10 grand to put in a bunch of panels. I told the principal we could do it for a tenth of that, so one weekend, a few dads and I did the whole place. It not only sounds better than what the "pros" would have done, but since we could choose whatever cloth we wanted, it looks really cool, because all the panels color coordinate with the room.

I use 705 fiberglas, double width, on the corners of my room. It does a pretty good job with the bass, as good a job as I can get without construction. I also have single-width panels suspended around the room. Sounds pretty tight in here IMO.

I'm using the two side baffles from this guy:

(broken link removed)

But I'm sitting outside the "reflection-free zone," and my speakers are pointing in so that the end of the baffle is behind their front planes, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately my big monitors (UREI 809As, inspired by Mr. Greene's 813s) are inside the zone and therefore the imaging isn't great with them. But the bass sounds incredible - these things do a good job of trapping it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Before posting I had actually bounced a few e-mails back and forth with a sales person from GIK; they are very friendly and customer orientated, it seems. Their products are inexpensive compared to whatever else I have seen on the market, however I will have to pay for shipping from the UK to Denmark which, while not overly expensive, certainly is something that makes this option, GIK, less attractive. Especially combined with the fact that DIY is so cheap in comparison. Specifically there is a product called Rockfon which was recommended to me:

https://produkter.rockfon.dk/?alttemplat ... fig#3182:::

I can get 8 panels of Rockfon size 1200 x 600 x 50 mm. for 2.400 Dkr. (320 Euros / $480). On a Danish producer forum, a guy has posted pictures of how he did his room with Rockfon. At the back of the panels he has glued two pieces of wood with a metal string between them, so you can just hang the panel on the wall like a painting. This is a very, very easy solution compared to other DIY which involves Rockwool, glass fiber and the like.

There's still some stuff to figure out before I make a purchase of any kind, though. GIK panels is not out of the question at all either.

Thanks for the links to acoustics theory & the explanations about DIY etc.

Top Bottom