What's new

Audio Myths

I have seen this before and can only highly reccommend it. Take an hour off from your daily duties and watch it (fully), it might save you thousands of dollars and many weeks of your life.

Ethan Winer?

I've had spirited arguments with him over the years, and I like him personally - and even agree with some of what he says. But I wouldn't assume automatically that everything he says doesn't have an opposing point of view.

The biggest disagreement I have with him is that - if I remember right - he believes that nothing is real until it's proven with a double-blind test. And I say that while it's certainly easy to fool yourself, our ears are incredibly sensitive, and I trust what I hear.

The biggest disagreement I have with him is that - if I remember right - he believes that nothing is real until it's proven with a double-blind test. And I say that while it's certainly easy to fool yourself, our ears are incredibly sensitive

But then then a blind test will not do any harm. If you hear it without a blind test you will also hear it with a blind test.

Ethan Winer has some inaccuracies now and then, I think he says somewhere in the video that doubling a signal will boost it by 6 dB but the noise will only increase by 3 dB ... it is 3 dB in both cases of course. But he gets the main message over very well and it is a very important one. Trust your ears ... but only when they are not steered by your eyes or your expectations.

I didn't watch the video, but of course there's nothing wrong with a double-blind test. What aggravates me is when I hear something and then some internet jackass disputes what I can hear perfectly well, saying that until the test I didn't hear it.

So here’s to my Sweet Satan.
The one who’s little path
Would make me sad,
Whose power is satan.
He’ll give you 666.
there was a little shed,
where he made
us suffer sad Satan.

:lol: Power of persuasion?

Good video though, it did feel a little like an argument on forums to me. Although, he did seem to have some interesting points. I guess bottom line is, use your ears and don't buy a $20,000 power cable!

I didn't watch the video

Then, Nick, please either watch it or stop arguing in this thread. The thoughts and observations in this video are somewhat different from what E.W. normally presents (related but still different) and deserve to be appreciated as a standalone IMO, no matter what experiences with E.W. you or I might have.

I guess bottom line is, use your ears and don't buy a $20,000 power cable!

I think there is much more brought to the table than that.

Got a chance to listen to this this morning. I just watched the YouTube with the built-in headphone out of my MacBook Pro into AKG headphones. I could hear a lot of the things that he said I couldn't hear. I thought the room got much smaller and deader when he switched to truncated audio instead of dither. I thought the added noise was very obvious, especially on the cello.

The bit test was hard to hear, as I expected. (YouTube compressed audio is not the way to hear this test anyway.) I think Steven St Croix said that the best D/A converters only have 13 to 14 bits of useable output.

Repeated generations of Soundblaster/Delta 66 was surprising, I thought there would be more of a difference. Though I picked out the Soundblaster versus Apogee shootout instantly, the bass went away on the Soundblaster. When I use a nicer mic pre or converter, I usually hear the difference in the very low and high end, the cheaper component sounds band filtered.

I didn't know that freeware ABX software existed, that's cool. I might need to try that.

Top Bottom