What's new

Artist name as a film composer.

Do you use your real name or a stage/artist name?

• Real Name

• Stage/Artist Name

Results are only viewable after voting.

tav.one

Life is Good
As a music producer I'm known as T.A.V and my real name is Tavleen Singh. I'm heading towards feature film scores as my primary genre. So should I start using my real name or stick with my current (relatively famous) stage name?

Seems like using full name is the norm in film industry. Junkie XL used to make me feel okay about it but seeng him changing gears and using his real name in latest works puts me in a little confusion.

PS: There is already a famous celebrity (Journalist) with the name of Tavleen Singh in my country, if that changes anything.

use your stage name. It's cool and people are looking for a sound right now, not really composition. If you are known for your sound, stay with that.

I'm thinking of switching to "Buddy Bo-Bob 'Britches' Beauville." Based on extensive research.

use your stage name. It's cool and people are looking for a sound right now, not really composition. If you are known for your sound, stay with that.

I'm thinking of switching to "Buddy Bo-Bob 'Britches' Beauville." Based on extensive research.
You could be B to the 5th Power! B5

TAV... it doesnt matter. You can let the director/producers know and you may request things like having your artist name with a specific font or someting. I doubt that they will budge but you never know and it might work for promoting yourself.
the only thing that matters is that in the cue sheet has the name that royalties will be paid to. so make sure your PRO and PRO affiliates have your name and/or artist name. make it clear as poeple might assume one thing and then issues happen.

Personally, I think alter egos and stage names are a little juvenile - maybe that's why JXL is starting to go by his given name these days. That said, I think a fairly exotic-sounding name doesn't hurt. Marco, Lorne, Heitor, Hans.... you get what I'm saying? If I were you I'd go by your full given name, or to avoid being mixed up with the journalist you mentioned, perhaps Tav Singh or something like that. But an "artist name" that would work on the bill of a big EDM music festival is, I think, not really right for the "grown up" world of film composing.

Then again, perhaps the world of film composing is a little too grown up. I mean look at the guys - the wear suit jackets and stuff. Who the heck does that. Other than your grandpa, that is.

I try to go by Rodney Money but people keep calling me "Money," lol.

People choose to call you what they feel is convenient or sounds good.

T.A.V is also part of my full name (first 3 letters), although I tell everybody that its Tee Aay Vee but many prefer Tav (rhymes with have) ;)

Last edited:
You could pick an artist name that sounds like a "real" name. Like "Rodney Money", for example. :) Actors do that all the time. Like Michael Keaton. His real name is Michael Douglas ...

Sounds exciting, but I thing going for a third name could be a little difficult for me at this position. Around 10-15K fans on the social profiles, website, etc. Changing names on some of these could be difficult...or not?

Is it a good idea to start from scratch? (I personally don't mind as I'm not attached to "the fan figures")

Last edited:
TAV... it doesnt matter. You can let the director/producers know and you may request things like having your artist name with a specific font or someting. I doubt that they will budge but you never know and it might work for promoting yourself.
the only thing that matters is that in the cue sheet has the name that royalties will be paid to. so make sure your PRO and PRO affiliates have your name and/or artist name. make it clear as poeple might assume one thing and then issues happen.

Yup, I get it.

I may sound like a fool, but I have no idea what PRO & PRO affiliates are, is it Public Relations Officer?
If yes then I'm afraid I don't feel I'm big enough to need them yet, maybe in future or is it a good idea to go for it early?

Last edited:
Personally, I think alter egos and stage names are a little juvenile - maybe that's why JXL is starting to go by his given name these days. That said, I think a fairly exotic-sounding name doesn't hurt. Marco, Lorne, Heitor, Hans.... you get what I'm saying? If I were you I'd go by your full given name, or to avoid being mixed up with the journalist you mentioned, perhaps Tav Singh or something like that. But an "artist name" that would work on the bill of a big EDM music festival is, I think, not really right for the "grown up" world of film composing.

This feeling is exactly what I had in my mind while I posted.

Then again, perhaps the world of film composing is a little too grown up. I mean look at the guys - the wear suit jackets and stuff. Who the heck does that. Other than your grandpa, that is.

And this was the main defence for stage name.

PS: I just realised I could have replied to everyone in 1 post :P

Yup, I get it.

I may sound like a fool, but I have no idea what PRO & PRO affiliates are, is it Public Relations Officer?
If yes then I'm afraid I don't feel I'm big enough to need them yet, maybe in future or is it a good idea to go for it early?
PRO = Performance Rights Organisation. For example ASCAP.

ASCAP and BMI are the big PRO's in the United States. If you're in India, then according to wikipedia, you should look into (broken link removed) or (broken link removed). The reasons you would choose on PRO over another are various, and you can find many threads about it on VI-C, but most of them will concern American and European ones.

This feeling is exactly what I had in my mind while I posted.

And this was the main defence for stage name.

PS: I just realised I could have replied to everyone in 1 post :P
It is also worth considering what sorts of films you will be composing for. I know little about the Indian film scene other than Bollywood (and I know very little about that, so please forgive me if this is overly reductive or culturally insensitive), which often involves elaborate EDM sequences :elephant:. These are elements which might be considered "not-grown-up-enough" for a typical Hollywood production but which are culturally embraced in India. My point is, you might be asking the wrong folks. You should check out the credits of the sorts of movies you want to work on, and if the composers are stage names of EDM performers, then you're probably in the clear to be T.A.V. :2thumbs:

Again, as a disclaimer, I don't know much of anything at all, so please forgive me if any of this is off base or offensive.

PRO = Performance Rights Organisation. For example ASCAP.

ASCAP and BMI are the big PRO's in the United States. If you're in India, then according to wikipedia, you should look into (broken link removed) or (broken link removed). The reasons you would choose on PRO over another are various, and you can find many threads about it on VI-C, but most of them will concern American and European ones.

Thanks guys, I do know about them but never did a serious research on them. I wonder if I'm working for some Indian and mostly American movies then do I need to sign-up with multiple PROs?

It is also worth considering what sorts of films you will be composing for. I know little about the Indian film scene other than Bollywood (and I know very little about that, so please forgive me if this is overly reductive or culturally insensitive), which often involves elaborate EDM sequences :elephant:. These are elements which might be considered "not-grown-up-enough" for a typical Hollywood production but which are culturally embraced in India. My point is, you might be asking the wrong folks. You should check out the credits of the sorts of movies you want to work on, and if the composers are stage names of EDM performers, then you're probably in the clear to be T.A.V. :2thumbs:

Again, as a disclaimer, I don't know much of anything at all, so please forgive me if any of this is off base or offensive.

Thanks for your reply jacob, first of all I'm not an EDM producer at all...I don't know from where this idea came..LOL

My style can be described as Orchestral-New Age-Hip Hop-Fusion, and thats what I've been doing till now.
What I'm heading towards is what inspired me to become a musician in the first place: totally hollywood style film scores with a little ethnic Indian flavour on it (the only reason I feel I was born in India instead of America or Europe was to add that tiny Indian/Punjab flavour in my otherwise western film scores).
I don't do typical bollywood styles, nor do I have any interest or plans to go that route, unless they need hollywood score.

I'm working hard to become someone in between of A.R.Rahman & Hans Zimmer (with more inclination towards Hans).

I think this gives a more clear idea. :grin:

Top Bottom