What's new

Art. switching with VSL elite strings in Logic

stigc56

Hi
Has anyone found a workable solution to use VSL Elite Strings in Logic? I think about the limit of 3 ks in Logic where Elite Strings needs 4 (5?).
Some of the scripter gurus maybe?
Regards Stig Christensen

Hm, not sure about the limit you re talking about. I have articulation sets with more that 3 for sure in Logic.

VSL by default organize Elite Strings in categories subcategories of articulations.

What I do is usually start from an empty synchron player adding the articulations I want, set the key switches, and then build the Logic Articulation Set.

I save the entire thing as a Logic Patch which I can reuse.

Let me know if that’s not clear, I can create a video.

Hi!
The maximum KS Logic can accomplish is 3 and the default patch VSL Elite Strings acquire 5! That's why

Skærmbillede 2021-06-17 kl. 11.24.59.png

I'm asking. I have the Elite Strings in my Nuendo template, but wonder how it's done in Logic. I use to spend a lot of time creating my own VSL set-up, choosing the articulations I wanted and so on, but now I want to stick with the default, less work you know.

you have two options...

you can script the keyswitches in Scripter....or...you can reprogram the Elite Strings Synchron patches so that they are not 5 dimensions deep...

Here is a thread with some keyswitching scripts to get you started if you want to try that...which is what I personally have done and would do in this situation.

(make sure to read the whole thread, the best script examples are at the end)

Hm, not sure about the limit you re talking about. I have articulation sets with more that 3 for sure in Logic.

LogicPro articulation Sets only support up to 3 keyswitches per articulation. not sure what you mean here, but each articulation can have no more than 3 keyswitches without custom scripting.

Some of the scripter gurus maybe?
Regards Stig Christensen
Hi Stig,
As far as I remember you own AG X-DAW Art Pro articulation software.

1. You can Create articulation maps in X-DAW and press "Copy to Clipboard" button (in Logic mode).
After that you have to insert the AG Articulation Scripter and paste the code. X-DAW supports up to 5 KS and 5 CC output assignments per articulation via the Scripter only. X-DAW can store a Logic Articulation Set but only with up to 3 output assignments cause Logic is limited to that.

2. If you own a Cubase Expression Map for VSL Elite, then try to drag and drop it onto X-DAW (you will import it to X-DAW quickly). X-DAW will switch to Cubase mode automatically. After that switch X-DAW to Logic mode and Copy/Paste the code to the AG Scripter.
Here is a Video part where I demonstrate Cubase Expression Map to Logic Art Set conversion.

BTW. If you used to trigger the articulations via Logic ArtID then enable the "ID" check box in the X-DAW before copy/paste the preset to the Scripter. You can even enable "AT" (text points automation) + "ID" check boxes to enable the combo mode which allows you to combine articulation text points switching with ArtID switching. I demonstrate this technique in this Video part here:

LogicPro articulation Sets only support up to 3 keyswitches per articulation. not sure what you mean here, but each articulation can have no more than 3 keyswitches without custom scripting.
you have two options...

you can script the keyswitches in Scripter....or...you can reprogram the Elite Strings Synchron patches so that they are not 5 dimensions deep...

Here is a thread with some keyswitching scripts to get you started if you want to try that...which is what I personally have done and would do in this situation.

(make sure to read the whole thread, the best script examples are at the end)
Hi
I kind of hoped that you would react ;) I will try to look into this!
Thanks!

You're right, Logic is up to 3 outputs. Messed that up.
I don't use the same workflow as @stigc56, I just build custom Synchron Setups, but I will fill a feature request with Logic to support more outputs, and satisfy all the potential workflows:

Feel free to do the same, more requests, higher will get on their list.

You're right, Logic is up to 3 outputs. Messed that up.
I don't use the same workflow as @stigc56, I just build custom Synchron Setups, but I will fill a feature request with Logic to support more outputs, and satisfy all the potential workflows:

Feel free to do the same, more requests, higher will get on their list.
we should start a VI-C l̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶-̶w̶r̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ bug-reporting campaign :laugh:.

dozens_of_us.gif

I have some good news for AG X-DAW owners who use VSL instruments.
Our supporter Roger Boyce provided professionally made articulation maps (an update pack) with more than 3 output assignments, made according to the original VSL instrument dimensions. The VSL ELITE Strings are included in this collection. We planed to release the new Roger's collection in the upcoming X-DAW 7.1 update.
The X-DAW Articulation presets are 100% compatible with all VSL SY Instruments, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic and Cakewalk.

Take easy, I decided to provided these X-DAW Articulation Presets here. Just download the attachment below. Here is a short demo video about the new Roger's VSL-SY collection.

Attachments

• xdaw_vsl_maps_7.1.zip
    741.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Unfortunately that is VERY unlikely to happen.
I had the same feeling when ARA introduced. I was saying Apple is so secretive and peculiar and will never inherit something that another company developed.
I proved wrong, and I am so glad!

I don't know enough about sound variation, but if it's open source, there might be a (slight) chance...

Top Bottom