What's new

Art Conductor 5.5 is out

Question about these Expression maps w Cubase:
Does it use UACC with "Attribute" for the Spitfire ones? (As opposed to Key Switch w/ "Direction"?)

There are two different expression maps for each instrument - one being all set to Attribute, one being all set to Direction. I have used the Direction expression maps, which works fine for my workflow. If one wants a mix, it would be easy to go into the Expression Map editor and change to taste. I use UACC KS, and it works fine with the Spitfire libraries.

Hey guys,

we have a new update out. Added Orchestral Tools Time Macro / Glory Days and Woodwinds Revived to the collection of templates. Also we have rewritten the Cinematic Strings/Brass templates and you can now control legato (and con sordino if applicable). There are tons of little improvements to existing libs and it is a free update to Art Conductor 5 users. Owners should have an email by now, if you missed it, please get in touch through our website as always.

Happy Thursday !

Hi,
I'd like to ask some questions:
- Does the program also work with Hollywood orchestra Diamond?
- I see on the site that 2 Fluffy audio woodwinds (clarinet and flute) are supported, do you plan to add the other two?
- When you say that there are expression maps for Hollywood orchestra what do you mean exactly? Is it just for the KS patches or is it something more intricate?
- Is the price on top of this page still valid?

Thank you for the answers!

The difference in between Gold and Diamond is relatively little in terms of key switches. It will work but there will be a small fraction of missing key switches in some instruments. Art Conductor supports the entire EW Composer Cloud from 2018:

EW 56 Strat
EW Drum n Bass
EW Ghostwriter
EW Gypsy
EW Hollywood Brass Gold
EW Hollywood Cello Solo Gold
EW Hollywood Harp Gold
EW Hollywood Strings Gold
EW Hollywood Violin Solo Gold
EW Hollywood Woodwinds Gold
EW Ministry Of Rock
EW Ministry of Rock 2
EW Ra
EW Silk
EW Solo Violin
EW Symphonic Adventures
EW Symphonic Brass Gold
EW Symphonic Choirs Gold
EW Symphonic Strings Gold
EW Symphonic Woodwinds Gold
EW The Dark Side
EW Voices Of Passion

With "Hollywood Orchestra" I mean Hollywood Brass Gold etc.

We currently support Dominos, Rinascimento, Solo Viola and Cell as well as the mentioned solo woods from Fluffy Cloud. The price is 48,99 by now and includes all updates for the year.

hope that helps

I'm on Logic 10.4.5 and noticed the v3 scripts for CSS keep turning off advanced legato (reverting to standard legato) - is that by design? Anyway to retain advanced legato?

Yes, it was disappointing to see 4.5 didn't add this much requested feature.

However, the drum editor provides a pretty good alternative.

Because of the brilliant way Studio One incorporates the drum editor in conjunction with easy to create pitch-lists, articulation switching is arguably even simpler and more fun then in Cubase!

Some loud thinking: could the Babylon maps perhaps be adjusted for use in Studio One (in conjunction with some matching Kontakt scripts for certain libs)?

While there is no expression *mapping* functionality per sé as of yet in S1, one can easily assign keys-witches and name them. I'm normally using C-2 and onward: these appear then always at the top in the drum editor.

Over here, most of the key-switching is done using CCs in Kontakt. But a simple note-to-CC script either globally or on instrument level handles that. In Kontakt, you can assign multiple CC's to single notes and this gives you pretty much the same behavior as when using Cubase expression maps. An overview of your key-switches is only one mouse or key click away.

So, for example you select a violins-legato articulation on C-2, the Kontakt script then maps this to CCx for the desired articulation and CCy for legato (using e.g. $EVENT_NOTE and set_controller). Alternatively, you could skip CCs and use the default note-based key switches that come with the library, but these often start at C0 and offer less options. Once you get the hang of it, using Kontakt scripts for the mapping part is hardly more difficult then when using expression maps in Cubase :) S1 drummap 1.jpg S1 drummap 2.jpg

This has been the trade off. For a while I used the drum maps too for keyswitches. it was fine, but ultimately was more of a headache since the new drum map does not display note length. Thats why I recently decided to side step the whole thing and create a macrogroup for different libraries. the macro is set to copy the selected note, then transpose it to the keyswitch (for example if legato, C-2), then humanizes the position forward, and then pastes the original note back to its original position. Since it happens instantly, it just appears as though a keyswitch note was automatically generated when you select the macro "legato". It works well, but it is time consuming to make them for every library and articulation. I've done it for about 15 different libraries now, so it functions a lot like art conductor for logic in result, but it would be great if expression maps were there in S1 because it wouldn't need to be keyswitches, and I could utilize the large library art conductor already has.

The macro thing sounds interesting, but why would you need to see the note length when using key switches? I assume most are otherwise using latch mode and type=direction in Cubase. In that case, note length doesn't seem that relevant.

If you set the Midi piano / drum editor to follow events, then your "normal" notes also appear right above in the arrangement track. Plus one can always select multiple tracks. So you can't easily get lost so to say when looking at your key-switches in the drum-editor...

I must say that now with version 4.5.1, Studio One is a joy to use, also in the MIDI department.

Some script hacking could possibly transform the Babylon expression maps into Studio One pitch-lists, and corresponding (Kontakt or some MIDI transformer VST) CC maps. Wishful thinking? Perhaps Babylonwaves can chime in?

In most cases it hasn't been a problem, but when doing things with guitar instruments, or some solo strings like Emotional Cello and Violin, that have keyswitches for the endings of notes, it can be a bit problematic to not see note length. I still use drum maps for some instruments that better suit it, but no doubt something like art conductor is the ideal.

(here's the keyswitch macro in action)

Thank you for the video chocobitz825.

The issue with the macro's, if I see it correctly, is that you don't have an overall picture of all key-switches in use.

The charm of using the drum-map is that you get (like in Cubase) some visual feedback of what's going on.

You mentioned key-switches for the endings of notes. Haven't tried this yet, but couldn't that be also done in conjunction with a Kontakt script using note-off's conditions for a given CC, triggered by a key-switch note-on?

I believe it could, and that would probably sort out a fair number of issues for orchestral libraries in kontakt, but wouldn't work with non-kontakt based libraries, like some of the spitfire ones.

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

Art Conductor 5.3 is out and here are the news. Owners got their update emails already, if you haven't contact me and i'll help you out.

All changes and addition in Art Conductor 5.3:

ADD: Best Service The Orchestra Complete
ADD: Best Service TO Strings Of Winter
ADD: Red Room Audio Blue Grass Fiddle
ADD: Red Room Audio Celtic Fiddle
ADD: Red Room Audio Palette Melodics
ADD: Project Sam Swing More
ADD: Spitfire Hans Zimmer Percussion
ADD: Spitfire Hans Zimmer Percussion Pro

FIX: Spitfire Alternative Solo Strings: non conform UACCKS on C-1
FIX: Cinematic Studio Strings: Option for less articulation (“no CS switching”) for cubase users
FIX: Cinematic Studio Strings Solo: Option for less articulation (“no CS switching”) for cubase users
FIX: NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble: Update to v1.1 instruments (Articulations adjusted)
FIX: NI Symphony Series Brass Solo: Update to v1.1 instruments (Articulations adjusted)
FIX: NI Symphony Series Woodwinds Ensemble: Update to v1.1 instruments (Articulations adjusted)
FIX: NI Symphony Series Woodwinds Solo: Update to v1.1 instruments (Articulations adjusted)
FIX: NI Symphony Series Strings Ensemble: Update to v1.1 instruments (Articulations adjusted)
FIX: EastWest RA: Missing instruments included
FIX: EastWest Silk: Missing instruments included
FIX: 8dio Majetica String Legato was missing

As always, if you miss a library let me know!

All the best, Marc

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Just a quick question, is the cinematic studio strings update backward compatible? In other words, will my past projects still work correctly if I update with this new set of articulations? Considering that the articulations of css has been redone.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update! Just a quick question, is the cinematic studio strings update backward compatible? In other words, will my past projects still work correctly if I update with this new set of articulations? Considering that the articulations of css has been redone.

no, that won't work in this particular case. i'd use the new CSS templates in new projects only.

Ohhh damn, just spend time adjusting all the ni stuff and now you do it instead - otherwise enjoying art conductor! :)

hi guys,

we've just released a bug fix update. for owners of Art Conductor 5: as always, if you didn't get your update newsletter - contact me and i'll help you out. users of v5.3.0 Spitfire templates really should update, sorry for the hassle!

FIX: Metropolis Ark 1 Low Strings have wrong articulations
FIX: Metropolis Ark 2 Typos
FIX: Metropolis Ark 4 choirs defined as FX library type
FIX: OT Berlin Strings First Chair: Bass is missing articulations
FIX: Spitfire Symphonic Strings: Added Runs from Legato Legacy Patches
FIX: Spitfire HZ Strings - Basses 24 All In One missing
FIX: Spitfire Studio Brass - Naming slightly changed
FIX: Spitfire Studio Woodwinds - Naming slightly changed
FIX: Spitfire Studio Strings - Naming slightly changed
FIX: Spitfire Symphonic Woods - broken and repaired
FIX: General issue with all Spitfire templates introduced in 5.3.0

best, marc

@Braveheart - doh, sorry. copy/paste error on my behalf in the cubase version of the newsletter. this is a bug fix update only. thanks for pointing this out ...

Hey guys,

good news for all those who already contacted me waiting. Art Conductor 5.4 is out and supports the new Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra library.

Owners have received their download links. If you haven't, as always, get in touch through the webform on our site.

Spitfire BBC SO.png

Best, marc

Last edited:
Top Bottom