What's new

Are VSL / Vienna instruments worth it?

IMHO unreservedly yes.

I've been using their Symphonic Cube for a long time and recently added more of the Synchron titles. They are at the top of the game. It doesn't mean there isn't room for other developer's libraries but VSL's Synchron & VI titles make up the bulk of my template.

LONG BUT INTERESTING QUESTION ALERT:

Can anyone in this thread help me decide on my next purchase, because I am torn between two what I believe to be excellent choices:

Synchronized Special Edition 2 and 2+ (already own 1 and 1+) vs. the following BBO libraries: Hercules, Izar, Jupiter, Kopernikus, Tana, Ursa, Vega, Wallia and Xenia.

Some information regarding this: the Synchronized Special Editions and the BBO series are the ones that caught my eye since last year. Ever since, I have been able to get Synchronized Special Edition 1 and 1+, and would love to complete this collection. On the other hand, I am also the owner of Andromeda, Altaïr, Neptune, Orion and Zodiac from BBO.

Either path would get me to complete one of two pathways (at least the standard orchestra paths). I love them both, and I know there are differences between them, SE being the older, more classically oriënted libraries and BBO being a bit more modern recordings with newer techniques.

The reason I love SE is it's versatility and especially agility. I do not know whether the instruments from BBO (of which the brass and strings are cut-down versions of their Synchron libraries) have that same agility. Also, the collection of instruments in the SE is much deeper. Some instruments I do not have, whilst owning a lot of other orchestral libraries. I will make a list (as complete as I can remember) of what I own below.

Having typed the list below, I know I am lucky and that I have a gazillion options. The reason Synchronized Special Edition caught my ear was it's emphasis on a smaller, dryer sound (it's the reason I also installed the bone-dry VI Pro edition as well). That, and it's specialization in very fast, agile playing (think Vivaldi's Winter) the likes of which I cannot hear back in any library I have. Supposedly, the BBO series has these repetition patches built into the normal legatos and staccatos patches. But is it as good as the Synchronized versions?

Short version: considering my list of owned libraries, would the BBO series overlap too much? I think the Synchronized Special Edition 2 and 2+ would bring more unique timbres and articulations to my already gigantic collection, but I must admit I do love what VSL is doing with BBO.

So, in my case, would you go for the sale on the VI series SE 2 and 2+ (including upgrade to Synchronized) or complete the BBO standard orchestra with Hercules, Izar, Jupiter, Kopernikus, Tana, Ursa, Vega, Wallia and Xenia?

Both are on pretty deep sale, and prices are almost similar (VI series + upgrade is just a little bit more expensive).

Disclaimer: I am not interested (yet) in Synchron Strings, Brass or Woodwinds. I would consider these as an upgrade path in the future. Reason is I would love to have these to replace a couple other libraries, but I don't find the need to do so yet. What I have gives me more than enough for some time to come. Additional question: considering this future path, would SE 2 and 2+ be money better spend on BBO?

I find this an interesting, but difficult decision, and would love to have other people's experienced opinion on this.

For more information, here's the other libraries I own:

-Hollywood Orchestra OPUS (my main)
-BBCSO Professional (my second main)
-Iconica OPUS (use it for filling gaps, custom articulations and note expression, and just a difference in timbre, beautiful library. And those woodwinds!)
-Native Instruments Symphony Series (layering library. Brass is awesomely big. Woodwinds are great for big sections, unique in that. Not for traditional. Not a great main library, awesome for layering)
-8Dio Adagio, Agitato, Anthology, Century Series (Century series is complete with all the libraries, strings, brass, artisan brass, the ostinato's, only missing the harps but no rush at all. Great libraries for again, layering and additional timbres. And the specialties of the legato's in Adagio and Agitato)
-Also from 8Dio: full Studio Series (strings, brass, winds), full Extreme Ensembles (including 66 series and Battucada), full choirs (all of them), full Deep Sampled Series (those deep strings, including the Quintet).
-Red Room Audio Palette Series complete
-Everything included in Komplete 14 Ultimate CE (so also the Solo Strings like Stradivarius)
-Intimate Strings Series by Embertone (wonderful libraries!)
-Albions (One, Neo, Tundra)
-A gazillion versatile extra libraries (Bunker Strings, Ben Osterhouse, the Sonokinetic Ostinato series, etc)

I don't think there's enough detailed tutorials out there that take a beginner with no knowledge to being an experience user. Not everyone had the patience to read a manual.

Other than that you can slowly build up a VSL collection.

I think VSL makes a ton of great great stuff sample library wise.

As a company altogether, I think they are even better. The best most fair policy on trying out libraries and selling them. Easy no hassle upgrades, all automatically done. The absolute best sample player in the business. The fastest downloader in the business.

They provide dozens of mixer presets PER instrument. They allow for customized mic position downloads. Constant free updates and fixes. Responsive customer support. Tons of sales.

I can go on and on, but VSL is pure class.

Still, some prefere the VI sound, some the SYized sound.
Just give me back all the original patches, and I'll compare them! :grin:

I purchased SYzd SE Vol.2 just to have the Chamber Strings harmonics back!

Paolo

VSL is a company that has been innovative from the start, and has continued to innovate. They did their things right from the start, so much that the older content is still working great in the Synchronized version. And now you can choose from two different branches – natively dry or wet – both of which sound perfectly up-to-date.

Paolo

If I remember well, for all synchronized instruments there is a preset called "unprocessed" (don't remember the exact name) which didn't use any Synchron Player effects.
Remembering @Ben indications, the unprocessed preset result in the same identical sound of VI instruments excepting for chamber strings which was remastered from scratch (I think it was their first synchronized library)
Yeah, that's a crucial point. It's actually the very first thing I do when I want to "get the Synchron off" an instrument (even if I end up putting the instrument back on Synchron Stage with MIR Pro, which is another awesome VSL contribution to musical Valhalla). But switching to the MIR Unprocessed mixer preset doesn't change Synchron P's default Perform settings -- for example (I just checked) "Dynamic Compr." remains all the way up. Normally, I prefer almost as much dynamic range headspace as possible, but for reasons not altogether clear to me (may be related to how few dynamic layers -- e.g. just 2 or 3 -- most SE VIs have as well as the limited synth-style keyboard action of the controller I usually use for non-keyboard VIs), the ability to fluidly access the dynamic nuances of a VSL flute or violin or cello etc. hinges on pulling that default Dynamic Compr. setting down.

LONG BUT INTERESTING QUESTION ALERT:

Can anyone in this thread help me decide on my next purchase, because I am torn between two what I believe to be excellent choices:

Synchronized Special Edition 2 and 2+ (already own 1 and 1+) vs. the following BBO libraries: Hercules, Izar, Jupiter, Kopernikus, Tana, Ursa, Vega, Wallia and Xenia.

Some information regarding this: the Synchronized Special Editions and the BBO series are the ones that caught my eye since last year. Ever since, I have been able to get Synchronized Special Edition 1 and 1+, and would love to complete this collection. On the other hand, I am also the owner of Andromeda, Altaïr, Neptune, Orion and Zodiac from BBO.

Either path would get me to complete one of two pathways (at least the standard orchestra paths). I love them both, and I know there are differences between them, SE being the older, more classically oriënted libraries and BBO being a bit more modern recordings with newer techniques.

The reason I love SE is it's versatility and especially agility. I do not know whether the instruments from BBO (of which the brass and strings are cut-down versions of their Synchron libraries) have that same agility. Also, the collection of instruments in the SE is much deeper. Some instruments I do not have, whilst owning a lot of other orchestral libraries. I will make a list (as complete as I can remember) of what I own below.

Having typed the list below, I know I am lucky and that I have a gazillion options. The reason Synchronized Special Edition caught my ear was it's emphasis on a smaller, dryer sound (it's the reason I also installed the bone-dry VI Pro edition as well). That, and it's specialization in very fast, agile playing (think Vivaldi's Winter) the likes of which I cannot hear back in any library I have. Supposedly, the BBO series has these repetition patches built into the normal legatos and staccatos patches. But is it as good as the Synchronized versions?

Short version: considering my list of owned libraries, would the BBO series overlap too much? I think the Synchronized Special Edition 2 and 2+ would bring more unique timbres and articulations to my already gigantic collection, but I must admit I do love what VSL is doing with BBO.

So, in my case, would you go for the sale on the VI series SE 2 and 2+ (including upgrade to Synchronized) or complete the BBO standard orchestra with Hercules, Izar, Jupiter, Kopernikus, Tana, Ursa, Vega, Wallia and Xenia?

Both are on pretty deep sale, and prices are almost similar (VI series + upgrade is just a little bit more expensive).

Disclaimer: I am not interested (yet) in Synchron Strings, Brass or Woodwinds. I would consider these as an upgrade path in the future. Reason is I would love to have these to replace a couple other libraries, but I don't find the need to do so yet. What I have gives me more than enough for some time to come. Additional question: considering this future path, would SE 2 and 2+ be money better spend on BBO?

I find this an interesting, but difficult decision, and would love to have other people's experienced opinion on this.

For more information, here's the other libraries I own:

-Hollywood Orchestra OPUS (my main)
-BBCSO Professional (my second main)
-Iconica OPUS (use it for filling gaps, custom articulations and note expression, and just a difference in timbre, beautiful library. And those woodwinds!)
-Native Instruments Symphony Series (layering library. Brass is awesomely big. Woodwinds are great for big sections, unique in that. Not for traditional. Not a great main library, awesome for layering)
-8Dio Adagio, Agitato, Anthology, Century Series (Century series is complete with all the libraries, strings, brass, artisan brass, the ostinato's, only missing the harps but no rush at all. Great libraries for again, layering and additional timbres. And the specialties of the legato's in Adagio and Agitato)
-Also from 8Dio: full Studio Series (strings, brass, winds), full Extreme Ensembles (including 66 series and Battucada), full choirs (all of them), full Deep Sampled Series (those deep strings, including the Quintet).
-Red Room Audio Palette Series complete
-Everything included in Komplete 14 Ultimate CE (so also the Solo Strings like Stradivarius)
-Intimate Strings Series by Embertone (wonderful libraries!)
-Albions (One, Neo, Tundra)
-A gazillion versatile extra libraries (Bunker Strings, Ben Osterhouse, the Sonokinetic Ostinato series, etc)
With everything you already own, you may want but not need anything else.

I don't think there's enough detailed tutorials out there that take a beginner with no knowledge to being an experience user. Not everyone had the patience to read a manual.

Other than that you can slowly build up a VSL collection.
I agree - I am new to VSL Synchron and cannot find answers to questions by looking at the online manual that, to me, seem basic

So, I've been posting over on the VSL forums but it is mostly tumbleweeds over there (or else they are sick of my questions).

I love the sound of the Synchron series and if I could just get the answers to my seemingly basic questions (having to do with the microphones, in situ, and panning), I might have to just move on from them as I have spent the last 2 weeks (when not working) trying to find answers to my questions rather than working on my music (which usually helps me to de-stress)

OK - end of my venting

I keep seeing a lot of praise for VSL, but is this stuff really worth it for budget producers? The other services like spitfire and orchestral tools may not give you 30 day demos or reselling capabilities, but at least a lot of their catalog isn’t 100+ dollars per instrument. I get that a lot of people here can afford it rather easily but it definitely leaves me wondering if that price tag can be worth it as somebody that has to keep a tighter watch on their pocket.

I keep seeing a lot of praise for VSL, but is this stuff really worth it for budget producers? The other services like spitfire and orchestral tools may not give you 30 day demos or reselling capabilities, but at least a lot of their catalog isn’t 100+ dollars per instrument. I get that a lot of people here can afford it rather easily but it definitely leaves me wondering if that price tag can be worth it as somebody that has to keep a tighter watch on their pocket.
1. They run very good sales and in december sell vouchers (4 for 3), which many of us buy and use the following year. The vouchers stack with the sales prices.

2. They have one of the best, if not the best, sample players out there. So in terms of quality that alone warrants a higher price, than let’s say OT’s SINE or the nightmare from a systems management POV that are the many separate players Spitfire’s architecture implies. Time is money for professionals, so a hassle free instrument is worth a higher price to many. Even budget producers could benefit.

3. The QC that VSL typically apply leads to a high grade of consistency between libraries. In terms of volume, in terms of articulation parity, etc. Another pro-grade attribute that is appreciated and can save so much time.

4. Their libraries can be demo’d and resold! The fact that many competitors won’t let you resell theirs is pretty nasty and annoying. You have to trust walkthroughs rather than your own “demo time”. And if you make a mistake and the library is not a good fit, you basically lose money. Not with VSL.

So all in all, one could say VSL cater to the market of professional composers. Hobbyists can easily conclude the price points are a bit too rich for them, depending on what they want to or can spend. I am a hobbyist and I have quite a few VSL instruments, but I bought maybe 50% off of forum members for a good price and used vouchers + sales stacks for the rest. Doing that I would argue that their instruments are absolutely worth the asking price and definitely worth the price I actually paid.

Also, they do have libraries like the Special Editions and Synchron Prime. These are more affordable all-in-one packages that in terms of sheer quality and “breadth and width” of what’s in there compare favourably to your average Albions, BBCSO Core and Berklee libraries imho.

For clarity: not fanboying here, I have and love libraries from other developers too. But I do feel it is important to stress how cool (well - it should be normal but it clearly isn’t) the resale and demo options really are.

Edit: especially from a buyer’s perspective as well. Budget producers should always check the classifieds on these boards because there are often great VSL “deals” offered on there. This is the flipside of the “resale policy” that should not be ignored!

Last edited:
Currently free demoing VSL special edition 1 and seeking a brso articulate preset if anyone has one.

My thoughts on VSL is that their website is hella confusing at first. synchronized synchron elite pro special editions. wtf. Things are named very similarly.

After finding their budget options 'special editions' I still don't know exactly what i'm buying as it doesn't say precisely which articulations are in each pack. It feels like a psychological game of leaving important stuff out so i need to buy more and more.

It sounds very nice except for the compressor being no full by default making it all seem quite quiet.

I'll keep going with the trial but frankly I can't stand their website.

After finding their budget options 'special editions' I still don't know exactly what i'm buying as it doesn't say precisely which articulations are in each pack. It feels like a psychological game of leaving important stuff out so i need to buy more and more.
Each product on their site has a "Contents" tab under it that shows what articulations it comes with. For instance:

The main thing to know is that VSL's Synchron-ized instruments are an updated version of their Vienna Instruments collection, their older libraries released from the early 2000's through 2015 or so. They are recorded in a very dry space (the silent stage) with one mic position and the sense of hall is created through adding reverb.

The Synchron instruments are their newer libraries, released in the last several years. They are recorded in the Synchron Scoring Stage Vienna with multiple mic positions, so they have a sense of hall without adding reverb.

Synchron-ized SE is the starter pack for their Synchron-ized libraries, and Synchron Prime is the starter pack for their newer Synchron libraries.

Some people prefer one approach or the other.

VSL is one of the few vendors that never really seems to discontinue products - they just keep porting the samples over to new engines with spruced up programming. As a result you start to have string libraries and things like that pile up since everything they've released in the last 20+ years is all still there for sale.

Last edited:
No, unless you already worked with it there is no reason to use the VI variant.

In contrary: The SYNCHRON-ized version comes with all the same content + additional instruments + additional articulations. Don't forget to install the Synchron Piano Player to get access to the SYized SE 1 included Concert D Lite.
Ben, I have bought:

SPECIAL EDITION Vol. 1
SPECIAL EDITION Vol. 2 (SE ext)
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 1
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 1 PLUS
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 2

But i do not have the license for the old VI Special Editions libraries (1 PLUS) The Vienna Assistant says - no active license. I can only download regular content of SE Vol1 and Vol 2.
Should i have the license for the old VI version of 1 PLUS Library?

Thank you

Ben, I have bought:

SPECIAL EDITION Vol. 1
SPECIAL EDITION Vol. 2 (SE ext)
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 1
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 1 PLUS
SYNCHRON-ized SPECIAL EDITION Volume 2

But i do not have the license for the old VI Special Editions libraries (1 PLUS) The Vienna Assistant says - no active license. I can only download regular content of SE Vol1 and Vol 2.
Should i have the license for the old VI version of 1 PLUS Library?

Thank you
Please contact [email protected] for these kind of questions. My colleagues will look into your account and can then answer your questions.

I'm on a tight budget too, but managed to get several of their libraries for a good price. The best way would be on Bestservice if you don't have to pay VAT. Buy Vienna vouchers during BF, the cheapest ones for better flexibility, and wait for the sales of the libraries you want later. Then use the vouchers and pay the price difference. It is usually best to buy several libraries at once so you pay the most of the price with the vouchers. It can be a little bit tricky, depending on what you want.
Be aware that Synchronized libs are organized differently than the VI ones. VI versions might be more modular although it might be vice versa for some libs so take your time while planning.

Top Bottom