What's new

(April 8th: Many new demos!) Impact Soundworks | Super Audio Cart 2 Development Progress

There’s a matrix on one of the threads of the sources for a lot of video game samples - a lot of romplers and Roland cards like the SRX orchestra. I’ve seen on YouTube SNES soundtracks rebuilt from their original sources without the down sampling. I’m fond though of that snes reverb - definitely a critical part of that sound

I am extremely close to locking up a project that is PSX inspired. I don't think SAC2 will be ready to rock during the production of it, but I am curious. Without revealing all your secrets, where would one look to get similar era appropriate sounds, I guess the hard way. I have resorted to ripping samples in the past, but I wonder where the heck did the original composers even get those samples in the first place?
This document has been making the rounds for awhile which purports to list exactly what gear was used for a huge variety of both classic & modern soundtracks. Though I can't say if it's 100% accurate, for the soundtracks/composers I do know about it seems to be spot-on.

In a nutshell a lot of classic PSX soundtracks used ROMpler-type hardware from companies like Korg, Yamaha, Emu, and especially Roland. You'll also find many soundtracks that use old-school sample CDs (pre-Kontakt, pre-Gigastudio...)

For Super Audio Cart 2, naturally we can't just rip audio from commercial devices, which would be violating copyright. So what we've done is create our own internal "Factory Library", treating it just like an old-school 90s ROMpler... then we've been REsampling that to create the final samples for the PSX, N64, and updated SNES soundbanks.

What Andrew said, but let me add: less is more! The PlayStation is basically a beefed-up, CD-capable SNES, and is certainly not a modern console. Embrace your limitations!

Oh I know all about chiptune limitations, haha. I have been making them for 24 years now. 12 years professionally. Hell I am STILL making them, albeit somewhat begrudgingly. I've done NES, Genesis, SNES, CPS2 and SID for professional releases. But this does mark the first time I have a chance to make something specifically PSX sounding. Would love to just use one thing for it, SAC2 would be so ace! So close... I will still be getting it regardless. I am all in.

I am still refreshing this thread at least once a week just in case :)

I am extremely close to locking up a project that is PSX inspired. I don't think SAC2 will be ready to rock during the production of it, but I am curious. Without revealing all your secrets, where would one look to get similar era appropriate sounds, I guess the hard way. I have resorted to ripping samples in the past, but I wonder where the heck did the original composers even get those samples in the first place?
I just saw a video that may partially point you in the right direction:

Long story short, there were sample libraries distributed on CD back in the day that were sourced from, then manipulated/compressed. In other instances, stock keyboard presets were used, and folks no doubt made their own snippets as well. As with most projects, I feel like it depended on the sound designers' preferences and what they had access to.

I wish the Roland plug-ins had a bit more functionality though. With the SRX orchestra I wasn’t able to find a way to load multiple articulations and shift between them, and each instance used a lot of RAM. Not a show stopper but a bit disappointment.

Last edited:
I will also say: having the right sounds/the right kinds of samples is only part of the battle.

Writing aesthetically-appropriate music is another.

In my opinion, for certain consoles (chiefly the SNES, N64, and PlayStation), having the right reverb is at least as important as those other two points!!

It's just too bad there isn't a single plug-in out there that allows easy, algorithmically-perfect, user-customizable access to those...:emoji_eyes:

You can use Roland's XV-5080 soft synth, it was released a little bit after PSX's prime but it still has sounds many PSX games used. If you're not into subscriptions, you can buy a permanent license from jrrshop
BIG cosign on the XV5080... RolandCloud, for its (many, many) foibles, delivers the goods in this regard. I'm using it every day. But I still heartily applaud ISW for their development and look forward to seeing where things go from here!

BIG cosign on the XV5080... RolandCloud, for its (many, many) foibles, delivers the goods in this regard. I'm using it every day. But I still heartily applaud ISW for their development and look forward to seeing where things go from here!
For sure! I too applaud ISW for SAC2, that was thoughtless of me... I said that in the context that it's not out yet :)

I deleted the post as I also didn't realize it was a commercial thread, I apologize!

Without revealing all your secrets, where would one look to get similar era appropriate sounds, I guess the hard way. I have resorted to ripping samples in the past, but I wonder where the heck did the original composers even get those samples in the first place?
A lot of PSX music back then was simply made out of pre-made loops which were released on CDs from different vendors like Zero-G.

It's pretty revealing, if you check out the old CDs on YouTube or Archive.org, you'll find out, that your favourite songs weren't really composed from scratch by the game's composer.

Though I can't say if it's 100% accurate
I vouch for its accuracy. I even made a few contributions (just some eureka moments I had when playing games) to it.

Now, returning to the topic, I think it would be very difficult to make a library that narrows the type of sounds used in the games of that period. Even restricting myself to just the music played back on real time on the hardware, we can find those are very distinctive:

Crash Bandicoot (1996). The music in this game is a continuation of the "chiptune sensibilities" of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. I could even say that, from all the games mentioned in this post, the soundtrack to Crash Bandicot is the most videogame-esque. It featured catchy melodies, bouncy rhythms, and a few callbacks to certain 16-bit era sounds, and, although a bit whimsical, it was charming and captured the essence of what came before and what would be produced onwards.

Suikoden II (1998). The soundtrack covers a wide range of styles, going from adrenaline-pumping electronic theme (Enemy Attack) to militaristic tones (Suspicion, March of the King, etc) to sweeping orchestral (Reminiscence ~Ensemble Version~), to different type of folk-inspired themes, with influence by many different music cultures (Nahala-Yam Koong, and its sampled Zither and shawms).

Resident Evil 2 (1998). The soundtrack of this game, in comparison with its predecesor, tries to go for a "Hollywood" sound clearly inspired by action film scores of the time. It makes a great use of the limited string, brass and percussion samples to try to get a full orchestral sound.

Silent Hill (1999). Its sonic palette is centered mostly on ambient and industrial sounds, although some pieces contain hints of trip-hop that would be more prevalent later on.

Top Bottom