What's new

Any New CPUs Due in 2024 Worth Waiting For?

Anthony

Hi,

I'd like to know if there are any new AMD/Intel CPUs slated for release in 2024 that are worth waiting for.

To me, "worth waiting for" means a CPU that possesses features that are either completely new and/or updated to such an extent that it will make making music markedly easier and more enjoyable.

I realize that what I'm asking is a bit vague, but I don't need to update for a few months, so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers...

Hi,

I'd like to know if there are any new AMD/Intel CPUs slated for release in 2024 that are worth waiting for.

To me, "worth waiting for" means a CPU that possesses features that are either completely new and/or updated to such an extent that it will make making music markedly easier and more enjoyable.

I realize that what I'm asking is a bit vague, but I don't need to update for a few months, so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers...
well, Yes ,I do wait for the new AMD cpus .There are leaks that are looking promising to say the very least...

Arrow Lake
Some say TDP of 125w

It’s expected to be 10%-20% faster than AMD. Who knows though

But it’s what I’m waiting for (no interest in AMD).

June.... Apple will release 3 new ones with M3? I heard Mac Pro M3Ultra. More cores I think 36 really fast.

June.... Apple will release 3 new ones with M3? I heard Mac Pro M3Ultra. More cores I think 36 really fast.
That's OK, but the leaks/rumors don't put them as "winners" over the new Intel and AMD (except for power efficiency, but even that is starting to tilt a bit). Apple struggling or slow to get M4 out, which should be competitive.

Also, the OP specifically mentioned Intel/AMD, not Apple. :)

I just want affordable! And not have to retool my studio every 2-4 years. Its to expensive. I booted a old mac quadra 950 with DP and disney cues on it in storage! And my viewsonics 150 lb huge tube monitor. It booted so fast! Had old versions of “Performer” (DP) Opcode “Cue” for calculating hits and timings. Ran flawlessly. So fast! Thats good tech that can still run today! Thats what made in America products were. Lasted a lifetime. Not 2 years. Lifetime warranty on mac and screens too.

I only build a new computer every 7 years or so, so I tend to spend a bit more up front. Like I still have 64gb ddr3 in my 9900K rig I’m currently using. I’m sure I’ll get 128gb ddr5 in the next one. Etc.

I’m getting tired (and not younger) of crawling on the floor though, when I need to disconnect or reconnect for whatever reason. This may be the last tower I build.

Arrow Lake
Some say TDP of 125w

It’s expected to be 10%-20% faster than AMD. Who knows though

But it’s what I’m waiting for (no interest in AMD).
TDP isn't a particularly meaningful metric these days.
The leaks about Arrow Lake seem underwhelming.
The competition will be Zen 5 which does sound decent.
Intel's best bet is when they move to the 18A node, which is probably 25H2 at the earliest.

TDP isn't a particularly meaningful metric these days.
The leaks about Arrow Lake seem underwhelming.
The competition will be Zen 5 which does sound decent.
Intel's best bet is when they move to the 18A node, which is probably 25H2 at the earliest.
How is something rumored to be faster than the “decent” Zen5 “underwhelming”?

It’ll be at least 2x faster than the computer I have now. Definitely not underwhelming.

How is something rumored to be faster than the “decent” Zen5 “underwhelming”?
I haven't heard any particularly positive things about it apart from the AI performance.
I don't follow this closely so you might have read different leaks than me.
Given Intel's poor recent track record, I remain sceptical until it is reviewed.
Zen 5 sounds more promising and I think generally AMD are on better form.

I have an i9-9900 and not in a hurry to upgrade.
Maybe when Intel move to 18A and Zen 6 is out I might think about it, if I'm still alive.

From TechRadar on March 9 - the first thing I saw when I used Google.

In short, Arrow Lake is going to be a huge generational leap, and one that will best Zen 5 for raw CPU performance. (AMD's next-gen Ryzen processors are thought to be more in the order of a 20% gen-on-gen uplift, maybe slightly less even – be cautious around all these rumored figures, as ever).

My 9900K can't hack the modern plugins. Just a few and Studio One is overwhelmed. It's also the bottleneck for the GTX4070 I added. Etc.

There's always another generation coming. I'm going to wait a bit to see how things are going for people before making the jump, of course. Hopefully January 2025.

'Intel’s next-gen CPUs might confuse you with their names – but whatever Arrow Lake is called, it’ll face a tough fight against AMD Zen 5.'

TechRadar on May 2nd.

These sites are just trying to drive traffic.

'Intel’s next-gen CPUs might confuse you with their names – but whatever Arrow Lake is called, it’ll face a tough fight against AMD Zen 5.'

TechRadar on May 2nd.

These sites are just trying to drive traffic.
Ok. But I'll keep thinking the newer and more advanced Intel technology will be better until proven otherwise.

When I want to know what’s up-and-coming in the CPU world, I go and see what the YouTube channel “Moore’s Law Is Dead” is saying.

He’s been going for a few years and seems to have some genuine inside sources for leaks/rumours.

Gone are the days of buying “Computer Shopper” magazine every month 😂

As @Technostica said I would be wary of taking TechRadar as gospel. Usually it’s best to track a few different sources and then try to make an overall picture from that.

Another YT channel recommendation would be “Gamer’s Nexus”.

They have frequent “hardware news” videos and if you can skip through the gaming-focused bits you’ll find that the gaming world is also highly interested in what’s going on in the world of both current and future CPU’s.

Top Bottom