What's new

Anthology II: Adagio general discussion

I miss the original dynamic bowing’s in the solo section. Why did they get rid of so many great articulations? All of this to have key switches? Will buy upgrade nevertheless because it’s a great sounding and unique collection imo but I’ll keep my original files

As an Anthology Strings owner, I just purchased their Adagio Violins 2.0 for $8.0 which covers the cost for the remaining sections, looking forward to receive my download code for the Adagio Cellos 2.0, and Violas 2.0 .

I wonder when 8Dio will have their 2.0 versions of their Century Strings, and Century Brass ? It has been quite a while since they mentioned the Century 2.0 versions are being worked on.

Last edited:
Got my free Cello upgrade. I missed the violas and had to ask for a new code. So thought I'd better grab it quick. :)

Just played around with the cello ensemble patch. Legato 1 and 2 only...no other articulation yet. Did not like them...LOL Legato 2 has some tuning issues, and legato 1 seemed to have velocity issues. I was a bit discouraged to continue, but I will tonight. Anyone else care to chime in?

Compared to the violin and viola, the cello so far, seems not as good from my initial play-through. Hope others have different opinions.

Just played around with the cello ensemble patch. Legato 1 and 2 only...no other articulation yet. Did not like them...LOL Legato 2 has some tuning issues, and legato 1 seemed to have velocity issues. I was a bit discouraged to continue, but I will tonight. Anyone else care to chime in?

Compared to the violin and viola, the cello so far, seems not as good from my initial play-through. Hope others have different opinions.

This is not good news, the "old" Adagio Cellos have the exact same issues. I still haven't heard any compelling reasons to upgrade to any of the new libraries. For Antholgy owners its a no-brainer, but I don't feel like shelling out $28 for each section if it's the same old issues.....that will be like $160 CDN.

This is not good news, the "old" Adagio Cellos have the exact same issues. I still haven't heard any compelling reasons to upgrade to any of the new libraries. For Antholgy owners its a no-brainer, but I don't feel like shelling out $28 for each section if it's the same old issues.....that will be like $160 CDN.

I hear you completely. The only reason to upgrade is for the new GUI and smoother operation within Kontakt 5. I have Anthology, so $8 for the entire upgrade is a no-brainer. It's still better than old Adagio simply because it runs smoothly, and non of the issues I had with the old interface are present. I need to see the other patches and articulations. Might need to wait until later tonight though...but hoping to hear from others who have played longer with it.

My fear is that it's less than a week from the violas, and while the upgrades are good, I'd rather wait a little longer than for them to rush this release.

Do you own the original Adagio Cellos? These, like the Violins and Violas are essentially the same as the old ones as stated many times. Yes they left out some stuff and there is the Anthology UI, but for all volumes so far there is no hugely noticeable improvements. Just some tailoring of the releases and maybe some other minor things that I can't hear. As also stated, these new versions do sound better than they did in Anthology, but if you only own the original Adagio and you don't want the Agitato content (which I happen to quite like), and your not fussed about the new UI, I see no reason to pay for the upgrade.

My fear is that it's less than a week from the violas, and while the upgrades are good, I'd rather wait a little longer than for them to rush this release.
I don't think they are rushing. I think this was as far as they were willing to go regardless, or as far as they could go with the existing material. As an owner of all of it, Adagio, Agitato and Anthology, I'm happy with this easier to manage UI. The articulations that I care most about are all there except the different arcs, which I am keeping in quickload right along side the new stuff. What is a drag is having 3 sets of the same samples on my drive. I'll probably keep the old Adagio samples (need them for the arcs and who knows what else later on), lose Anthology altogether and of coarse keep the new version.

Last edited:
Do you own the original Adagio Cellos? These, like the Violins and Violas are essentially the same as the old ones as stated many times. Yes they left out some stuff and there is the Anthology UI, but for all volumes so far there is no hugely noticeable improvements. Just some tailoring of the releases and maybe some other minor things that I can't hear. As also stated, these new versions do sound better than they did in Anthology, but if you only own the original Adagio and you don't want the Agitato content (which I happen to quite like), and your not fussed about the new UI, I see no reason to pay for the upgrade.

I have them ALL...All versions. The old interfaces were not stable in my system and with kontakt 5...Anthology was unusable because of the sound...at least now it's better. I'd have to do more testing to see if overall the cello is good. From the ensemble legatos, I wonder.

As I just said in my response to Jake, If you only own the original Adagio and you don't want the Agitato content (which I happen to quite like), and your not fussed about the new UI, I see no reason to pay for the upgrade.

I miss the original dynamic bowing’s in the solo section. Why did they get rid of so many great articulations? All of this to have key switches? Will buy upgrade nevertheless because it’s a great sounding and unique collection imo but I’ll keep my original files
8Dio is just not making any sense to me right now. As they release these "new" libs they are discontinuing the original Adagio and yet most of this is really just an update to Anthology, which is still selling on their site. The original Adagios have so much content that these do not include so why not just discontinue Anthology- call this new one Anthology 2 and keep the old Adagio for the unique content that it had to offer, or get those Arcs back into this new library. I still maintain that no one would complain (at least not very much) to include a Legacy folder for those patches that might be too difficult to fit into this new interface.

I’m on the fence about buying the Cellos. I have Adagio Violas, so I spent $28 to upgrade them. I also have the Grandiose Sordinos library and the Agitado Grandiose Violins (but no the Adagio Violins, new or old). I have other strings libraries (Cinematic Strings 2.1 and Soaring Strings) so that’s why I didn’t purchase the Adagio Violins. Part of me feels like the Cellos could add something new to my template, and also give me two Adagio sections that I could complement with other Bass and Violin strings libraries. I also own the original Tina Gio acoustic Cello. Basically. This library would give me a ‘less emotional’ solo cello, as well as the divisi section, the arc articulations, and the Agitado Grandiose Cello Legato.

What would you do?

ScarletJerry

This library would give me a ‘less emotional’ solo cello, as well as the divisi section, the arc articulations, and the Agitado Grandiose Cello Legato.

The divisis and everything you mentioned are certainly great, but don't forget the sordinos (my main reason for buying Anthology back in December and upgrading now), and the short notes aren't too bad, either. I like layering the two spiccato options in Anthology/Adagio with other libraries to give them more of an edge.

What would you do?

The one reason to upgrade them all, is the have a consistent sound as a string library. Mixing and matching libraries is okay, but not the same as using all the instruments recorded in the same space.

Second, the GUI is better and more stable with Kontakt 5.

Think of the solo patches as first chairs, not as exposed solo libraries. Tina Guo is way over the top and is not an all around cello library. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges. Totally different uses.

I’m on the fence about buying the Cellos. I have Adagio Violas, so I spent $28 to upgrade them. I also have the Grandiose Sordinos library and the Agitado Grandiose Violins (but no the Adagio Violins, new or old). I have other strings libraries (Cinematic Strings 2.1 and Soaring Strings) so that’s why I didn’t purchase the Adagio Violins. Part of me feels like the Cellos could add something new to my template, and also give me two Adagio sections that I could complement with other Bass and Violin strings libraries. I also own the original Tina Gio acoustic Cello. Basically. This library would give me a ‘less emotional’ solo cello, as well as the divisi section, the arc articulations, and the Agitado Grandiose Cello Legato.

What would you do?

ScarletJerry

How do you like the Adagio viola upgrade? Worth it?

Top Bottom