What's new

Alternative to Lemur Daemon? Not working consistently on M1 Macbook pro.

SomeGuy

On my desktop machine Lemur Daemon works fine and has been solid for years. On my M1 Laptop Lemur Daemon is VERY hit and miss. A couple days ago I seutp my ipad via Lightning to Thunderbolt direct connection, added the ports (USB) in Lemur Daemon just fine, and was working in Logic with Composer tools for multiple days no problem. Come back to work today, and Lemur Daemon is blank, and when I try to add ports it just stays blank! I cannot add any ports!!
Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 1.36.24 PM.jpg

Tried restarting 10X's, reinstalling Lemur Daemon 3x's and STILL cant get it work today! I've wasted over an hour of work time trying to trouble shoot to no avail! Seeing as how I need this to work to be able to send midi CC's for expression and volume, key switches / patch changes etc I'm stuck!

Are there any alternatives to Lemur Daemon that work with Apple Silicone? Any advice / setup help would be great appreciated!

Edit: I should specify. I'm NOT looking to replace Lemur. I'm simply looking for a new way to interface between Lemur and my M1 macbook pro. Assuming such a thing exists?

Last edited:
Have you considered TouchOSC?

I gave up on running Composer Tools on my PC because of problems with the Lemur Daemon and midi loopback app failing to start, losing port definitions that were confusing to setup to begin with, etc. I've moved to an M1 Mac with DP 11, and running TouchOSC Mk1 (new version) on an older iPad - works perfectly with zero connection issues through TouchOSC Bridge.

TouchOSC is M1 compatible. Takes a little work to build articulation maps and controller options, but it is easy enough to figure out. I like it better than Composer Tools and don't really miss the auto-switching function in CT. I have a much more extensive map for VSL libraries designed in a way that works well for me, and all are contained in a single document with tabs for each separate map.

I should specify. I'm NOT looking to replace Lemur (at this time). I'm simply looking for a new way to interface between Lemur and my M1 macbook pro. Assuming such a thing exists? I know Lemur's days are numbered but with the amount of time and effort I invested in Composer Tools Pro, I'd like to keep using it for as long as possible. Is anyone using Composer Tools Pro without Lemur Daemon?

I should specify. I'm NOT looking to replace Lemur (at this time). I'm simply looking for a new way to interface between Lemur and my M1 macbook pro. Assuming such a thing exists? I know Lemur's days are numbered but with the amount of time and effort I invested in Composer Tools Pro, I'd like to keep using it for as long as possible. Is anyone using Composer Tools Pro without Lemur Daemon?
The alternative connection you are looking for is called Studiomux. It is rock on Mac and PC with direct lightening cable connection.

I got studiomux to use with lemur and it works on iPad Air but studiomux quits unless I use a split screen or on side which takes up 20% of the usable screen. It will not run in the background for me. Any suggestions

Has anyone found a non-USB solution to Lemur Daemon being broken on M1 Mac running Ventura?

Top Bottom