What's new

Albion II Loegria Update

I just moved the nkr file from the second one into the folder with the first update that was missing that file, and I have not noticed a problem so far.

Speaking of Loegria, does anyone really find this library very useful?? I bought it after hearing the demos (which sounded great), but since then the strings really fall short in all of my mixes so I wind up switching to a different string library. There's some interesting pads, the drums are ok, the horns are ok, but overall I think this ranks as the #1 biggest waste of money I've made based on usage. Unless of course I'm retarded and missing some key component that brings it up to its fullest potential.

It's an "ensemble" library, right? A friend demo'd it for me. As I recall it was an early offering from Spitfire. I have a similar library from Vienna (Epic Orchestra) in that it "blends" from one section to the next, rather than giving you distinct sections ... It's not too satisfactory.

It's a really soft library in the way that it sounds best with low velocity levelss etc. I don't use it a lot myself, but the strings sounds gorgeous, especially the Half Longs. It is useful for slow romantic passages and I feel the work well for a more classical sound. That is my opinion on the library, I have all 3 Albions and they are great for what they offer, bu the Loegria is the one I use the least. Gonna experiment more one day by making a piece using it exclusively.

Well, that's interesting. Maybe I misunderstood what it was intended for. Sounds like it could work for me, actually. But it is an "ensemble," correct? Not individual sections?

Yes it is ensembles and not individual like LASS, but unless you are writing for a real orchestra it gives you a way to get a nice sound quickly. Nice for sketching atleast.

I actually use Albion II very often. As mentioned, it's great for sketching but also great for beefing up more intimate pieces. For instance, I recently did a commercial that needed to sound pretty intimate overall, so Sable worked great but toward the end it needed to continue to build over VO and some FX. Leogria to the rescue!

It's a really soft library in the way that it sounds best with low velocity levelss etc.

I read this a lot in reviews before purchasing Loegria, and I don't totally agree.

Now, the Euphoniums are soft, and some of the string articulations are soft (e.g flautando ), but the drums will give your woofers a workout for sure, and not all of the string articulations are what I'd call "soft".

That being said, the string sections are smaller sections, so on their own they sound better soft, but if you start mixing them with Albion, you can really use it to provide a more refined sound (if you have Sable, that's probably even better for detail).

But it does do softer mockups/sections of your mockup well, but I'm guessing not as well as some of the BML stuff (e.g. Sable). I don't have sable yet, but I have most of the BML winds, and I can definitely do soft with those, or I can mix them with Albion or Loegria for the purpose of providing detail in layering or additional ornamentation.

I'm just a hobbyist, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think there's enough in Loegria to warrant the purchase (and notice I didn't even discuss the Sackbutts, reverses, and steam band stuff).

Now, if you have sable would it be worth it? I'm guessing yes because it has sections larger than Sable, so you can incrementally ramp up, and there are overlay patches in all the BMLs and Albions, so it seems they are envisioned as all working together by the developers as well.

I use Loegria a lot.
Very happy with the better connection in the Strings longs with this update.
Love the lo strings pizz, euphonium is cool.
Loegria is nice for more of a chamber orchestra sound, which is more needed in my work than the epic style...

I just moved the nkr file from the second one into the folder with the first update that was missing that file, and I have not noticed a problem so far.

Yeah I did the same thing. Works fine. But if you attempt to use only one set of files you'll be missing stuff. They need to get that downloader sorted. Personally I would prefer to go to a repository and look to see for myself what the latest version is and compare to mine. But oh well.

Anyways I love the sound of Loegria. Beautiful strings but also very nice winds and brass, though they aren't the convention stuff. And it's not all soft. I actually find Albion I softer with strings. The smaller section can actually make a bigger sound. The opposite is true with Iceni. There is a huge low string section there but the strings are quite soft. Some great percussion and sound design in Loegria too.

I actually find Albion I softer with strings. .

I think I know what you mean. "Soft" is probably poor word choice. The strings in Loegria have more detail and more bite at higher dynamics, so "intimate" is probably a better word choice.

if you were trying to be perfectly realistic, that smaller section sound would probably be mixed at a lower level than the larger ensemble, though, because that's really how a real orchestra works: larger ensembles have less detail but are louder.

That being said, your DAW channels have a volume control, Kontakt has a volume control, and the instrument panels have expression controls, so there's nothing requiring you to mix them down or mix larger ensembles up, and if you pay attention, it's not always done that way either ;)

Is this the right interface for LOEGRIA after the recent 3.2. update ? I'm getting lost . :oops:

Attachments

• LOEGRIA2.jpg
    LOEGRIA2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 596
Top Bottom