What's new

AI - Next steps we can take [SPINOFF for non "next steps" conversations]

SimonFranglen

My name is Simon, I am a working composer. I love the bleeding edge of technology and I work with companies on finding the next bleeding edge once the wounds have healed enough. I have sat on panels and committees around the world on the future of AI and Music, most recently the UK Government ‘Creative UK’ summit, where ironically I was the lone music creator on the floor with four AI business leaders from the other side of the equation.

At each of these panels, the AI pioneers genuinely promote a wonderful vision of us being freed from the drudgery of creating music by the new systems, the learning systems that generate playlists for Spotify become the learning systems of music creation. Billions of dollars are being invested in the utopian ideal that everyone can be creative, that there’s no need for music training, that all the learning from experience and mistakes, all the blood sweat and tears that we call composition and music production can be condensed into a text line prompt.

I have three major problems with this. Well, maybe a hundred major problems, but let’s start with these.

1: Elevator music. A billion gibbons on typewriters will submerge that one copy of AI Hamlet with 999,999,999 variations that head towards blandness; the system will not ‘understand’ why Mozart is not Salieri, as Salieri is more successful. The action of sampling large models of data is that everything is averaged, so over iterations, AI Mozart becomes AI Salieri; the average quality of all music will be inexorably driven down. The shock of a radically different approach, say Stravinsky causing riots in 2013 in Paris, The Damned 'New Rose', Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' will disappear as we are be submerged in a swamp of bland.

2: The death of production music. The low end is going to disappear from composition and music creation. To quote the advertising from one of the AI music generation market leaders in this area “Stop paying too much for your music”. A TV production company making weekly general light entertainment will leap at the chance to have their cooking shows and afternoon cop shows scored by machines at a tenth of the cost, with no paperwork, no royalties to pay, no composers missing deadlines, no headaches. My gut is that most production music is AI generated within three years.

3: The future. For all the slagging off that many within VI-Control give the sweat shops of composers’ assistants, that time in the trenches is where we really get to learn our craft and also, more importantly, make mistakes with someone else’s name on it, and get training and feedback from a master at their craft. AI systems will inevitably decimate that path. Someone who needs four people in 2024, will need two in 2026. I’ve done my time, it was invaluable and made me who I am today. If an AI system replaces the need for a younger me to be doing an 120 hour week to hit a deadline, that will lower my knowledge base, my library of techniques, my resilience.

I was at the cutting edge of when sampling technology was predicted to destroy live musicians. It did, just like the gramophone, just like the electric guitar. A wave of digital musicians appeared to replace them. VI-Control is an example of what happens in the evolution of the creative species, thousands of composers now actively discussing what makes millions of 24 bit digital signals controlled by a seven bit data word more ‘realistic’, whether thirteen mic positions is enough for a clave.

We're going to have to embrace the future, it's coming whether we like it or not. Machine learning can be used to support what we do. For example - “Hey Sibelius, Take this 8 bars of Staccato markings on the Violas and extrapolate these markings across the entire score for next 100 bars” - this might be a real timesaver; yeah it won’t be perfect but it would get us 80% of the way there in 10 seconds. I will actively embrace the systems that help me. One of the projects I’m working on has a mantra that ‘you can’t allow the machine to make shit up’, we feel that’s where madness lies. AI systems can be used to support the creator. This is a good thing and inevitable.

Solutions:
1: The concept of computer 'creation' is something I think we need to reframe as a creative community. At a recent discussion with an AI department head for a company with 120,000 employees worldwide, I was presented with the line ‘inevitably the systems will end up as better composers than us’ - analogising computer chess systems with composition, they conveniently ignored the fact that being able to recalculate every possible ending after each new move is not creation, it’s a large data model looking for an optimal result. Data set analysis with random variability is not composing, or painting, or film making. It's mimicry with standard deviation curves.

As a species we are not quite done yet but we do need to address the oncoming light at the end of the tunnel before the train hits us. There will be a propagation of “Co-Creation” systems (see Adobe for that wonderful doublespeak). Write a theme for your TV show and have the co-creation software take away the annoyance of scoring that episode. Inevitably those co-creation systems will eat their co-creators, given a few years they become self-aware and on August 29th, 1997 we'll be freed from the drudgery of our compositional existence. I think we need to start stomping on the misuse of 'art creation'.

2: Make some noise. It’s important that we challenge our banks (ASCAP, BMI, PRS, SECAM, etc…) to take a cold hard look at what happens when the revenue disappears. Given the tens of thousands of voices here, I hope we can make a little noise.

Art is what separates us from the billion digital gibbons with typewriters submerging us in a river of s***t. It’s important.

Sorry for this to be my first post. I’ve been a lurker for a gazillion years. I felt I might be able to add something to the AI discussions.

In a way, we're already in that territory due to "textures", "evolving pads", "construction kits" and creating "epic, orchestral sound of blockbuster movies, made simple via immaculately sampled and easily playable phrases".

Sometimes I wonder if I just should had picked up another profession- and then I remember this is the only thing I can properly do. And as long as breathe, I shall try to rise above myself, the blandess and the fast food music. But I agree with Simon- let's make some noise. All of us who have the means, the audience and the possibility to speak up should do it.

Thanks for the insights, and welcome! (though you mentioned being here for a long time already 👍)

AI Music is not under the spotlight right now, video is. And this situation is probably going to drag over the entire 2024, well into 2025... cause, guess what 🫠 music was never such a lucrative topic as graphics and video, thats why for every 200 image generators, you have one Suno, or some other obscure stuff. Even 3D animation and modelling is much more advanced now than music.

And when it does come - what our strategy should be - running door to door, explaining people what they should listen to and why? So what's the difference from now anyway, with each day Spotify having tens of thousands songs released - does this cr#&p gets a pass just for being created by "someone"?

I'll push that even further - if tomorrow you are given a choice - listen to what's on the radio right now, or to the output of a sophisticated algorithm that have mastered the whole musical culture from Monteverdi to Prokofiev, and can exercise its knowledge with new and enjoyable etudes in the styles he mastered, even if that means he never breaks beyond what he was thought, so?....

This level is far ahead, but you cannot run before you can walk, so we will have to be patient for some time, with all the gibberish Suno and the new Adobe researchers come up with, just so one day it will get smarter.

On this journey we will start using all kind of AI assistants for our tasks - arrangements, music production, mixing, mastering, whatever - and if that means I can still produce my ideas out when I am 75 and half deaf - count me in 🫠.

Last edited:
AI is mockery. Humans fail to recognize and devalue their innate, unlimited creativity. The main threat from AI are the people who believe humans are obsolete and wish to fuse themselves with machines and get rid of the body.
The problem is that there are genuinely super talented creative AI engineers who believe that their role is to transform humanity into the passengers on the Wall-E Space Ship, giving us "more time for leisure and creative activities" while destroying those very things.

Thanks for the insights, and welcome! (though you mentioned being here for a long time already 👍)

AI Music is not under the spotlight right now, video is.

On this journey we will start using all kind of AI assistants for our tasks - arrangements, music production, mixing, mastering, whatever - and if that means I can still produce my ideas out when I am 75 and half deaf - count me in 🫠.
At the moment, the focus is on the notes the AI systems are generating. The next shoe to drop will be as AI music production values move into the spotlight. My team and I have created a superb template that is full of the smear that reality gives. It allows me to make demos that are close to the real thing - for me the difference is still huge, but to my directors and producers, the 'why do we need record orchestra if this sounds that good' conversation is a regular one.
It'll only take one of the AI companies to buy one of the major sample libraries for them to generate music that can fool enough of the audience enough of the time to bring that same conversation to AI music. I have seen many AI systems that are not generally available, we're at Version 0.1…

Hey Simon!

Great post, I agree with about 95% of it. Some quick/fun observations, though;

It's mimicry with standard deviation curves.
This may be the case for now, but what about farther into the future? My AI friend on the inside tells me that reinforcement learning and training models in the way we do now isn't the only game in town. It may the most popular at the moment, but it may not be for long.

I hear there are other approaches that are much more based on human reasoning, where for instance a human would often look at the broader picture to get a sense of what's going on, where an AI would just focus on say, a few specific pixels changing over time. I have no idea how thes new methods work, but that's what I'm told.

So if that's the case, then maybe there's a way of breaking out of this cycle of reusing (limited) training data sets? You could end up with an A(G)I that perhaps, very much like us, has a lot more room to be creative. Would something like that change your view?

BUT, even if the training data is limited; our own, personal training set is kind of limited too, right? All that baggage of maybe years of education and experience, the bags of tricks you've gathered, your musical influences, etc. You could argue that that's your training data set. One that constantly evolves, because you always learn new things, but it clearly isn't unlimited.

So maybe it's
(my training data + (input from the environment + brain grease + bunch of random quantum fluctuations in your brain)/too much caffeine) = new Avatar cue.

You may not be conscious of this, since all you're thinking is "Okay, during this bit the blue cat lady jumps on the flying horse thing, how on Earth am I going to get this done before five 'o clock?". It's just something that happens under the hood.

I was trying to make a point, but halfway through I kind of forgot what I was trying to say, ehrr.......
:barefoot::whistling:🤦‍♂️

Oh, right - so if we're all using limited data sets, are humans and (especially future) A(G)I really that different?

Adding to that, there's just physically a limit anyway to how many musical combinations (i.e. bits of information) you can make and string together. It's an stupendously large number of ways, and you might as well call that infinite, but strictly speaking it isn't.

But to me (as a composer trained to write to picture), that doesn't scare me. I write based on what the story needs, so I'm not that bothered if, by accident, something I wrote sounds vaguely familiar. I'll change it of course if it's too on the nose, but after that - if it works and everybody's happy, it works. 🤷‍♂️👍

Anyway, I do think it's important to hash this stuff out beforehand, make sure the table's tilted in our favour as much as we can. I'm not entirely convinced though that this'll be enough.

Art is what separates us from the billion digital gibbons with typewriters submerging us in a river of s***t. It’s important.
Wait long enough and eventually those gibbons will compose the entire works of John Williams, most likely an infinite number of times. In his case, it would probably take a very, very long time, indeed. Especially towards the end. :elephant:

Last edited:
You know I largely agree with you. But with two things I disgree completely.

My name is Simon
I disagree with this and.......No obviously I'm kidding. First thing I disagree with is

If an AI system replaces the need for a younger me to be doing an 120 hour week to hit a deadline, that will lower my knowledge base, my library of techniques, my resilience.
As someone still recovering from burnout, reading this gives me nightmares and ptsd. Nobody should be treated as some sort of slave just for the prospect of maybe having a shot in the future. I get the sentiment of having to do the work and the need to put the hours in, but there is only one person actually profiting in this scenario: The person utilizing cheap labor so they can meet their deadlines (I bet my ass you didn't get paid for those 120 hours of work. But to be fair I burned out and didn't get really paid either, but at least I can only blame myself, because I put those hours in voluntarily and not because someone "forced" me to).

Machine learning can be used to support what we do. For example - “Hey Sibelius, Take this 8 bars of Staccato markings on the Violas and extrapolate these markings across the entire score for next 100 bars” - this might be a real timesaver; yeah it won’t be perfect but it would get us 80% of the way there in 10 seconds. I will actively embrace the systems that help me. One of the projects I’m working on has a mantra that ‘you can’t allow the machine to make shit up’, we feel that’s where madness lies. AI systems can be used to support the creator. This is a good thing and inevitable.
Timesavers are cool. But the essential, underlying problem is actually not giving people enough time, so they can deliver good work. The solution shouldn't be to come up with tools to fight the symptoms of bad working conditions, but to fight bad working conditions themselves. And yes I know this is wishful thinking, especially in a country like the US (there are probably more examples, but US capitalism is quite special in that regard...).
Anyway not trying to bash the US or my US friends here. I know many of you are worried yourselves. I just don't think any of this will be stopped. It would be naive to bet on politicians to put an end to this utilizing the law. It won't happen. The rich will become richer while millions of people will lose their jobs and the prospect of a future. As a European I'm actually hoping for the EU to enact some laws, but I guess by the time this might happen the damage has already been done.

Ai could be used for so many things actually improving humanity or human lives (think about Ai detecting diseases or cancer before they emerge etc. and yes I'm aware there are companies working on that)... Instead the discussion seems mostly about how we can put people out of work, devalue art and create a society of morons without any actual skills (as if social media wasn't enough), just so a few can benefit. It's seriously like watching the creation of the atom bomb. Just thinking about deepfakes and how people are already believing a lot of bullshit without any second thought, as long as it supports their world view... . I mean, what could possibly go wrong? I feel like there should be a lot more backlash and people actually demonstrating on the streets. Might happen when their jobs are then finally replaced... or not. I mean, watching cat videos on TikTok for a few hours is also a lot of fun. Sorry, I guess at this point I might have missed the whole point of your post. Thanks for being on those panels tho. Apart from being quite unqualified to sit on such a panel myself, I'd probably hit one of those greedy morons at some point....

Edit: A grammatical error. I hate detecting mistakes

Last edited:
As someone still recovering from burnout, reading this gives me nightmares and ptsd. Nobody should be treated as some sort of slave just for the prospect of maybe having a shot in the future. I get the sentiment of having to do the work and the need to put the hours in, but there is only one person actually profiting in this scenario: The person utilizing cheap labor so they can meet their deadlines (I bet my ass you didn't get paid for those 120 hours of work. But to be fair I burned out and didn't get really paid either, but at least I can only blame myself, because I put those hours in voluntarily and not because someone "forced" me to).
I completely agree as well, it's more that stress testing is an essential part of the self discovery journey - 'working out if this career is what I really really really want to do' that I suspect is necessary to change a pipe dream into a reality. My first years at SARM were the only time I haven't been self-employed, If I did 120 hours a week, it was because I wanted to get somewhere better, that was a self-driven choice. I made a choice when I went freelance to never be a cheap date. Placing a value on your time is good for you and the client, the free gigs were always the problem ones.

Timesavers are cool. But the essential, underlying problem is actually not giving people enough time, so they can deliver good work. The solution shouldn't be to come up with tools to fight the symptoms of bad working conditions, but to fight bad working conditions themselves. And yes I know this is wishful thinking, especially in a country like the US (there are probably more examples, but US capitalism is quite special in that regard...).
The timesavers are necessary because most of us stopped just using pencil and paper, we instead became IT departments and engineers and tape op's and orchestrators and….

The act of creation can get submerged in a blizzard of non-compositional virtual paperwork. I'm a great believer that AI that gives me more time to mess around making mistakes is great. But when it comes to time-saving hints, one of the most important things a composer can do is a daily walk in the woods, that's where the connections get made. It'll save you more time than anything. They do
Ai could be used for so many things actually improving humanity or human lives (think about Ai detecting diseases or cancer before they emerge etc. and yes I'm aware there are companies working on that)... Instead the discussion seems mostly about how we can put people out of work, devalue art and create a society of morons without any actual skills (as if social media wasn't enough), just so a few can benefit. It's seriously like watching the creation of the atom bomb. Just thinking about deepfakes and how people are already believing a lot of bullshit without any second thought, as long as it supports their world view... . I mean, what could possibly go wrong? I feel like their should be a lot more backlash and people actually demonstrating on the streets. Might happen when their jobs are then finally replaced... or not. I mean, watching cat videos on TikTok for a few hours is also a lot of fun. Sorry, I guess at this point I might have missed the whole point of your post. Thanks for being on those panels tho. Apart from being quite unqualified to sit on such a panel myself, I'd probably hit one of those greedy morons at some point....
They genuinely don't think they are greedy, they believe they are the future, that their job is to take us by the hand, show us the plastic flowers in the utopian art they've had their systems generate and understand they already rule the world.

They genuinely don't think they are greedy, they believe they are the future, that their job is to take us by the hand, show us the plastic flowers in the utopian art they've had their systems generate and understand they already rule the world.
this rings true with my experience lecturing into IT (tho my background is more neuroscience, boring story how I got stuck in IT) - every so often another lecturer/researcher/postgrad would breathlessly show me (knowing my previous background was visual art and music) an 'amazing' picture of an anime girl somebody had done in ballpoint pen as the pinnacle of artistic achievement and say - dont you wish you had talent like that.

Hey Simon!

My AI friend on the inside tells me that reinforcement learning and training models in the way we do now isn't the only game in town. It may the most popular at the moment, but it may not be for long.

I hear there are other approaches that are much more based on human reasoning, where for instance a human would often look at the broader picture to get a sense of what's going on, where an AI would just focus on say, a few specific pixels changing over time.
Absolutely, SORA for instance starts its video from noise that it iteratively shapes into the destination frames, rather than drawing an elephant in a single calculation, it creates more 'elephantiness' in each iteration, trying to work out when to stop because the elaphantiness is at 100%.
When I'm attempting to get a cue written, I'm doing the same thing, working out how elephanty those notes I played feel to me and then randomly evolving them with my level of excitement.

Data set analysis with random variability is not composing, or painting, or film making. It's mimicry with standard deviation curves.
As simple as that.

AI can't have instinct, or inspiration. It's programmed (not innate, not evolutionary) ability is mimétisme. It will be able to extrapolate indefinitely maybe, but create music that has soul (or funk?) from scratch, stemming from a free will decision or inspirational impetus? I say - never.

Absolutely, SORA for instance starts its video from noise that it iteratively shapes into the destination frames, rather than drawing an elephant in a single calculation, it creates more 'elephantiness' in each iteration, trying to work out when to stop because the elaphantiness is at 100%.
When I'm attempting to get a cue written, I'm doing the same thing, working out how elephanty those notes I played feel to me and then randomly evolving them with my level of excitement.
Ha, well said! :elephant:

Wandering around the interwebs I found this from Meta. Not sure how different it is from "regular" approaches (couldn't check but I'll ask my friend later), but it is interesting.

Being a physicalist of sorts, I think it's pretty plausible that one day we'll have AGI able to think, feel, reason, look ahead and wonder about the future, enjoy and create art the same way we do. I don't see any major technical barriers/showstoppers, really. It'll probably be a while before that happens, but I think it's smart to start thinking about the possibility now, and see if we can protect the things, ideas and people we really care about.

With one foot in AI tech/the innovation space and the other in music, I have to admit I have no clue on how to do that, what the world's going to look like for us, or if it's even possible to put a stop to it, or slow it down if we tried. But the suggestions you and others made, the lawsuits I think are a good start. 🤔

Let's hope for a fair and decent outcome. Hey, who knows - having an AGI sparring partner, another pair of (elephant) ears, a co-composer, someone you can jam with late at night could be fun, just for the heck of it. 🤷🏻‍♂️👍🏻 After all, I talk to my dog all the time, asking if my stuff's any good. Small step...

As simple as that.

AI can't have instinct, or inspiration. It's programmed (not innate, not evolutionary) ability is mimétisme. It will be able to extrapolate indefinitely maybe, but create music that has soul (or funk?) from scratch, stemming from a free will decision or inspirational impetus? I say - never.
For now, sure.

But if (free?) decisions, instinct and inspiration arise from physical brain states (evolving over time) I see no reason to think this can't be replicated in digital, software-based brain-like systems. They may differ in say, the way they're organized, do calculations, make predictions, and so on, but in essence, functionally they're the same thing as a "good old-fashioned" physical brain, right? Just a bit less squishy.

So saying it's never going to happen sounds a bit premature (and a tad speciesist) to me. 🤔🤭

But I could be wrong so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
For now, sure.

But if (free?) decisions, instinct and inspiration arise from physical brain states (evolving over time) I see no reason to think this can't be replicated in digital, software-based brain-like systems. They may differ in say, the way they're organized, do calculations, make predictions, and so on, but in essence, functionally they're the same thing as a "good old-fashioned" physical brain, right? Just a bit less squishy.

So saying it's never going to happen sounds a bit premature (and a tad speciesist) to me. 🤔🤭

it is scale as much as anything - brain connectivity is enormous and cognition/feeling etc are much more than synapses - the complexity at the level of the membrane is vast, then you have neuromodulators modifying all that in real time in relation to the environment.
Here's some stats to boggle at - the human cortex has a bit less than 100 trillion synapses with approx a billion per cubic millimetre. And in that tiny cube there''s about 4k of wiring. And the connectivity of all that gets modulated - it isnt static at all.

Machine learning / AI / neural networks are impressive but toys compared to actual brains. But then AI only has to do highly constrained tasks, it doesnt need to evolve in real time in relation to living in a dynamic environment. It doesn't have to be a chess grandmaster one minute and juggle cooking dinner and bathing the kids, changing a nappy, taking a phone call, organising payiing the bills the next and in a very short time span

For now, sure.

I think this is what will always be, imho. "replicated in digital, software-based brain-like systems." Always a copy.

Unless one of these systems suddenly steps out autonomously, the tadpole in the bunch that branches out a whole new form of sentient life mobility, but that's never going to be organic, imho. According to its seed, the old book says.

I'm in awe of the mobile phone tech every day, and the GPS I use. So there is no discernable limit to where this could go. But yes, it's only a personal view.

it is scale as much as anything - brain connectivity is enormous and cognition/feeling etc are much more than synapses - the complexity at the level of the membrane is vast, then you have neuromodulators modifying all that in real time in relation to the environment.
Here's some stats to boggle at - the human cortex has a bit less than 100 trillion synapses with approx a billion per cubic millimetre. And in that tiny cube there''s about 4k of wiring. And the connectivity of all that gets modulated - it isnt static at all.

Machine learning / AI / neural networks are impressive but toys compared to actual brains. But then AI only has to do highly constrained tasks, it doesnt need to evolve in real time in relation to living in a dynamic environment. It doesn't have to be a chess grandmaster one minute and juggle cooking dinner and bathing the kids, changing a nappy, taking a phone call, organising payiing the bills the next and in a very short time span
It's quite something, isn't it?

I know of at least one attempt to do whole-brain simulation. They got pretty darn far, but it got shut down and split up a few years ago, I think. Wouldn't surprise me if there are other groups right now trying to the same and/or build upon what these guys did.

Scaling up, along with ever increasing energy requirements are indeed tough problems to solve. Maybe for now a more distributed, modular, cloud-based approach will help at least with the scaling issues, until we find ways to further miniturize the stuff? These are engineering questions, tough ones, but in theory more than likely solvable. If Nature can do it... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Current AI systems may not be that flexible or good at generalizing or adapting to the environment, but given how fast things are developing I'd argue it's only a matter of time (say, a few decades?) before they will be.

So AI; ❌️, AGI and beyond; ✅️. But nobody really knows for sure so maybe there really is a limit.

I think this is what will always be, imho. "replicated in digital, software-based brain-like systems." Always a copy.

Unless one of these systems suddenly steps out autonomously, the tadpole in the bunch that branches out a whole new form of sentient life mobility, but that's never going to be organic, imho. According to its seed, the old book says.

I'm in awe of the mobile phone tech every day, and the GPS I use. So there is no discernable limit to where this could go. But yes, it's only a personal view.
When I wrote those two words you highlighted I remember thinking "Man, I bet someone's going to comment on those terms. Naah I'll leave it". 🤭

I used replicate and brain-like because it may not be a 1-1 exact copy in terms of architecture, how data is stored, retrieved and processed. But what eventually comes out may still be the same.

I just didn't want to limit myself to pure whole-brain simulations, because why would you? Maybe it's possible to come up with (a collection of) (sub)system(s) that can do the same thing a human brain does, but it has a completely different layout?

People are already working on embodiment projects. So we're sort of giving AGI a hand (lol) already in their quest to becoming more autonomous. Maybe, once one of these becomes sentient it'll be able to speed that up or start designing, building its own body. Or choose to stay fully digital and zoom across the internet (and beyond). Have a little Avatar jamming session with Simon. Puts itself on the cue sheet for credits 🤸🏼‍♂️

I must disagree with this. And as evidence I remind everyone of the leaked private messages from Midjourney developers:

The tone of their messages doesn't suggest to me that they are interested in helping humanity into the next phase of existence. Like most tech overlords, it seems to me they are interested not even primarily, but solely in extracting as much wealth as possible from others, even if that means doing something unethical or worse.

--

Now having said this, I am very happy to read Simon's post. And I agree with it.

--

On whether AI is performing human-like processes

In NoamL's very thoughtful post here on page 1: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/ai-next-steps-we-can-take.149907/post-5511659 I think we get to the point.

You may also find this lecture from 1984 by John Searle interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00h2chv

The point is that these models, algorithms etc, don't actually "know" what a kick drum or a beautiful melody is. They learn through billions of iterations to mimic what we think it is.

And now to the next point from quickbrownf0x and others. What makes you so confident that human will and consciousness can in fact be replicated, or 'constructed', simply by larger and larger datasets performing 'mindless' iterations to arrive at something that looks like reasoning, but in fact isn't?

Human mood is not just determined by brain connections. Gut bacteria have been discovered to play a large role. It's not sufficient to replicate the brain.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that AI can arrive at consciousness, but I am not convinced.

Final thought on this section:

I will say it again.
By definition, AI cannot be performing human-like processes, because humans have experiences and feelings and AI does not. AI cannot create something new and know that it is new, and know that it likes it. It doesn't like anything.

--

Potential Solutions:

- I think that aiming to make products created by AI, whether images or music, be in the public domain is worth pursuing.

- Making noise. We all need to make noise. Call your local rep, senator, PRO, publisher... heck, call the ones in other countries too.

- Don't support companies that use AI in any form that you feel is unethical. Call it a boycott, because that's what it is.

I don't know if any of this can work, but we have to do something because this is quite simply theft.

Ultimately, AI is a creativity killer, because as Simon stated very well, and I will paraphrase, everything is destined to become a sea of mediocre bullsh**.

Should the day come when AI can actually think and know anything in the sense that we know things, then sure, I welcome our new masters etc etc.

The point is that these models, algorithms etc, don't actually "know" what a kick drum or a beautiful melody is. They learn through billions of iterations to mimic what we think it is.
Great, and very true! BUT to be fair, to my knowledge humans aren't born to recognize what a kick drum is or a beautiful melody either. That's something you develop over time. And the more you practice, the easier it gets.

And even though there may be some genetic component in there too that'll predispose you to liking certain kinds of sounds better than others; beauty is in the eye of the beholder and depends on where, how, when you grew up, what you were musically exposed to as a child, etc.

That's your reference frame, your baggage. Your training data. 👍🏻

And now to the next point from quickbrownf0x and others. What makes you so confident that human will and consciousness can in fact be replicated, or 'constructed', simply by larger and larger datasets performing 'mindless' iterations to arrive at something that looks like reasoning, but in fact isn't?

Human mood is not just determined by brain connections. Gut bacteria have been discovered to play a large role. It's not sufficient to replicate the brain.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that AI can arrive at consciousness, but I am not convinced.
If gut bacteria influence your mood then that's totally compatible with what I was saying. Gut bacteria in this sense function as another input for the brain, where the incoming data gets processed, analyzed, maybe prioritized and acted upon. It may be a complex system with lots of feedback loops, but not something we (in principle) can't reproduce, design or develop, given enough time. IMHO, based on what I've seen so far, anyway.

Final thought on this section:

I will say it again.
By definition, AI cannot be performing human like processes, because humans have experiences and feelings and AI does not. AI cannot create something new and know that it is new, and know that it likes it. It doesn't like anything.
AI in its current state, no I think you're right. But we had to learn to recognize and do all these things as humans too. Once difference is that we're lucky to be born with this giant training set, gathered over millions of years by means of evolution. Also inherited a bunch of not so great, even weird stuff, but oh well. We still look pretty darn cool and smart compared to these silly tin pot machines. So far, at least. 🤭👍🏻

Top Bottom