What's new

AI forum section

Henrik B. Jensen

Would it make sense to create a new section for everything AI-related?

I’m know I’m tired of hearing about it at least and I’m probably not the only one.

Members’ Compositions made entirely with - or in part with - AI also have zero interest for me.

Then people like me could hit Ignore on the AI section.

Edit:
Well, I’ll just ignore those threads as things are today. So no need to make a forum section maybe, dunno what others are thinking though?

I’m know I’m tired of hearing about it at least and I’m probably not the only one.

Members’ Compositions made entirely with - or in part with - AI also have zero interest for me.

Edit:
Well, I’ll just ignore those threads as things are today. So no need to make a forum section maybe, dunno what others are thinking though?
I am in full support.

What if I told you the whole forum is AI, and you have been conversing with advanced, intelligent chat-bots the entire time? ;)
It does feel like I keep seeing posts that *could* have been written by AI. Either from bot accounts (is that a real thing?) or members getting GPT to write their posts for them

Edit:
Totally agree.

+1

AI forum section

There is understandably a spike in AI-related content at the moment, but for now we are just making an effort to keep it contained to a small handful of threads to make it easy to ignore them. (And it IS easy)
Thankfully, those posting generated "compositions" are including "UDIO" in the title, which makes it very easy to identify which threads to put on ignore if you wish to do so.
A dedicated section is likely in the future, but for now we'll just aim to keep it manageable until we work out the best approach.

On that note, if you are tempted to create a new thread to share your AI generated tracks, consider whether you think it's actually worthwhile for anybody on top of everything we've already seen and discussed.

There is understandably a spike in AI-related content at the moment, but for now we are just making an effort to keep it contained to a small handful of threads to make it easy to ignore them. (And it IS easy)
Thankfully, those posting generated "compositions" are including "UDIO" in the title, which makes it very easy to identify which threads to put on ignore if you wish to do so.
A dedicated section is likely in the future, but for now we'll just aim to keep it manageable until we work out the best approach.

On that note, if you are tempted to create a new thread to share your AI generated tracks, consider whether you think it's actually worthwhile for anybody on top of everything we've already seen and discussed.
Sounds fair!

I find this whole AI stuff depressing and would rather not even see the threads as they crop up. The best way for that would be a dedicated AI forum section and moderators moving all AI threads there. It feels like we get several new threads every week, and I expect soon it will be one a day with the udio music posted. If this doesn't get contained to an easily ignorable AI forum, I might have to put the whole members compositions subforum on ignore :(.

If you "Ignore" a thread will it disappear completely? I'd like to be able to check some of the AI threads every so often (maybe once a month). Thanks!

I find this whole AI stuff depressing and would rather not even see the threads as they crop up. The best way for that would be a dedicated AI forum section and moderators moving all AI threads there. It feels like we get several new threads every week, and I expect soon it will be one a day with the udio music posted. If this doesn't get contained to an easily ignorable AI forum, I might have to put the whole members compositions subforum on ignore :(.
It almost seems like from one day to the next, the Members’ Compositions section is now getting quite a bit of AI generated music, or AI assisted, or whatever one wants to call it.

I wonder if some program just got released, or got updated, which helps people make music with AI?

I'd go a step further and say it should be banned. If I were running a community of people learning how to do watercolor painting, why would I want people to share their Midjourney works? AI-generated music is not in the spirit of a community of like-minded composers trying to hone their craft.

I'm not suggesting discussion be banned, but I do think we should view and treat the output negatively and VI should not be obligated to host it.

I'd go a step further and say it should be banned. If I were running a community of people learning how to do watercolor painting, why would I want people to share their Midjourney works? AI-generated music is not in the spirit of a community of like-minded composers trying to hone their craft.

I'm not suggesting discussion be banned, but I do think we should view and treat the output negatively and VI should not be obligated to host it.
As standalone compositions evaluated on their merits, yes. I see no reason for those to be posted. But I would say there are questions of examples as part of the general discussion of AI capabilities and limitations that are relevant to those general discussions.

But I think we are precisely the community that should be discussing this -- both pros and cons -- as we are primarily music technology focused. This is a virtual instrument forum and it seems logical that virtual composition should also intersect with our concerns. It's surprising that so many of us, who happily work in a post-performer idiom, cling to a Romantic conception of The Composer.

It's important enough that I feel it should have a section of its own so we can keep abreast of what's happening.

Top Bottom