What's new

Afflatus Brass? - Strezov "The Adventure Continues"

i'm curious with the 1st official demo "Beyond the Horizon". Is that Afflatus Strings? sounds pretty good.
Hey there. Most of the strings in this demo are made out of a bunch of different libraries. Pacific, Con Moto, AR Legendary Low Strings module, Afflatus, Modern Scoring Strings, and there might be more that I forgot. I just reach for the sound I want for a specific spot so I don't stick to a specific library when it comes to strings.

Hey there. Most of the strings in this demo are made out of a bunch of different libraries. Pacific, Con Moto, AR Legendary Low Strings module, Afflatus, Modern Scoring Strings, and there might be more that I forgot. I just reach for the sound I want for a specific spot so I don't stick to a specific library when it comes to strings.
that's lots of layering... i initially thought it's the Afflatus's Lush Strings patch only. So many libraries layered under the hood for that sound. wow.

that's lots of layering... i initially thought it's the Afflatus's Lush Strings patch only. So many libraries layered under the hood for that sound. wow.
These are not layering. Just libraries I use for a specific sound at a specific moment because that's the sound I want "there" (example : MSS is used for the runs on the part at 00:05) . I usually avoid layering as I find it's a pain to program and make things blend. In my memory the only layering of the whole track (and I mean the entire project, not just the strings) is on the violins legato where I have two patches playing at the same time. And it's not a complicated layering, it's just two patches loaded in the same Kontakt instance.

Last edited:
These are not layering. Just libraries I use for a specific sound at a specific moment because that's the sound I want "there". I usually avoid layering as I find it's a pain to program and make things blend. In my memory the only layering of the whole track (and I mean the entire project, not just the strings) is on the violins legato where I have two patches playing at the same time. And it's not a complicated layering, it's just two patches loaded in the same Kontakt instance.
ah. i see.

These are not layering. Just libraries I use for a specific sound at a specific moment because that's the sound I want "there" (example : MSS is used for the runs on the part at 02:05) . I usually avoid layering as I find it's a pain to program and make things blend. In my memory the only layering of the whole track (and I mean the entire project, not just the strings) is on the violins legato where I have two patches playing at the same time. And it's not a complicated layering, it's just two patches loaded in the same Kontakt instance.
Yes, I do the same, and agree with you on layering! your demos are always very beautiful.
Bon Week End !

It’s so nice to see others who draw from a variety of libraries for each section in a track. I’m definitely not one to obsess about matching the room either. If it sounds good, that’s all that matters as far as I’m concerned. It’s validating to hear great tracks from other composers who use multiple libraries to patch together a nonetheless cohesive ensemble sound.

Best,

Geoff

Agree on the workflow- I'm just working on a mix where the long strings consist of V1 and cello from Pacific, V2 and viola from SCS ensemble, pizzes from CS2 and shorts from Fluid Shorts 1 and there's no way in hell to tell that they're from different libraries at this point.

I used to be anal on the library cohesion earlier, but not anymore. I've noticed that as long as the stereo image and approximate dry/wet depth is the same for each patch and the EQ curves are reasonably close together, you don't need much more than the general bus processing and combined reverb to make it sound like one section. However, I've also found that this is much easier to do with strings than e.g. WW for some reason.

@Nathan Einhorn could i ask if there is
  • Vibrato
  • If there is, is it controllable, or does it come in on its own
  • Are the performance patches for trombones (with mutes) for example, passable for jazz
Thank you in advance!
There's no control on the vibrato, and it's mostly non vibrato (without being flat), more suited for an ensemble sound. And to be honest, I prefer that, every library with vibrato control takes time and work to sound right. In most cases, I just want to play quickly and get satisfying results, otherwise I lose my ideas :P
Yeah, you can use a muted trombone performance patch for jazz, if you cut the hall and section mics and the reverb, but that depends on what kind of a result you're expecting. I think it's better in those cases to use a library made for that genre, with falls, doits and such.

Hey there. Most of the strings in this demo are made out of a bunch of different libraries. Pacific, Con Moto, AR Legendary Low Strings module, Afflatus, Modern Scoring Strings, Fluid Short 1, and there might be more that I forgot. I just reach for the sound I want for a specific spot so I don't stick to a specific library when it comes to strings.
My 2 and half years old girl said to me « Elle est impressionnante cette musique » (this music is impressive) about 30 seconds after hearing it! :)

There's no control on the vibrato, and it's mostly non vibrato (without being flat), more suited for an ensemble sound. And to be honest, I prefer that, every library with vibrato control takes time and work to sound right. In most cases, I just want to play quickly and get satisfying results, otherwise I lose my ideas :P
Yeah, you can use a muted trombone performance patch for jazz, if you cut the hall and section mics and the reverb, but that depends on what kind of a result you're expecting. I think it's better in those cases to use a library made for that genre, with falls, doits and such.
Thanks so much for this response! Gotcha.

Well, I definitely wasn't in the market for another brass library, but I have to say that the demos, though very limited in number, sound really good, and I qualify for the 379 Euro price. I'd like to see a walk-through video before pulling the trigger, though. Apparently one will be available soon.

Would this sound not be possible with Berlin Brass too?
Its a workhorse-library as many others 🤷‍♂️ I dont think you need it "necessarily" when you already own one. Maybe it add some different articulations and some inspiring new vibe/mood to your arsenal or you want the same workflow if you own Afflatus Strings already - which makes it really affordable with the loyalty bonus.

Last edited:
Well, lots of libraries can play it more or less credibly but the question is whether a particular library sounds suitably rich and musical at the lowest dynamic layer and indeed whether there is sufficient expression with small dynamic swells and such that it sounds musically engaging. There are a lot of potential problems: no timbral variation if the library relies only on moving the volume of a single dynamic layer sample, potential crossfade issues if the library uses multiple soft dynamic layers, etc. And soft and exposed, small issues that might get absorbed in a fuller, louder sound suddenly become much dicier. So it’s a hard problem for sample libraries.

I am most glad to have this example, as it gives me a much better sense of the soft dynamic playing than any of the other demos.

Its a workhorse-library as many others 🤷‍♂️ I dont think you need it "necessarily" when you already own one. Maybe it add some different articulations and vibe to your arsenal or you want the same workflow if you own Afflatus Strings already - which makes it really affordable with the loyalty bonus.
As an addition to that sentiment, I suspect the real point of Afflatus Brass is going to be its non-workhorse sections: the "mood" sections. Just like Afflatus Strings.

It's just that those mood sections will be more practical and useful because they can be augmented and filled out with the workhorse-section articulations recorded in the same room. It's the combination of the two (which Afflatus Strings didn't have) that will make the library both unique and useful in a practical way.

Similar sound - more or less - is possible with many brass libraries. Here's a thread full of Mahler mockups to compare with Afflatus Brass

Candid sample-thread thoughts -

The low brass sounds alive & coherent in this mockup.

The room doesn't sound bad at all, and low brass is a litmus test of that. There IS an onboard reverb in the GUI (which @Nathan Einhorn already hinted at) like Afflatus I.

I think this library could end up being a strong complement of CSB. I don't think much of the AFF solo horn and solo trumpet, particularly the legato ints, but that is a strong suit of CSB, whereas the low brass is something I often can't get sounding right in CSB.

I think the legato intervals will be the weak link of this library, compared to CSB and presumably Abbey Road Brass (But who knows when that will start dropping). Pacific Brass, iirc was revealed to be sampled along the lines of Caspian, no legato ints there.

Overall, legato intervals aren't that big an issue for brass. I like the lineup of soloists and ensembles.

Top Bottom