What's new

Advice on setup for class

agarner32

I teach theory classes (and others) at a community college and I'm starting to write the curriculum for a Midi class with an emphasis on orchestration. The students I get are beginners and do not have a lot of money. I'm trying to come up with a very minimal set of requirements for them to do basic orchestration. I have a huge sample library myself and it's the same stuff what we all discuss, but most of the libraries we own are too expensive for these students.

Most of the students will have a laptop of some sort, but it probably won't be very powerful. So I'm thinking for software Garritan PO which has everything they would need and M-Audio's Keystation 49 for their controller. That would cost them about $250. I'm not a fan of the Garritan library, but it would probably be good for beginners and has everything needed to do orchestration. I thought about CineSymphony, but it doesn't have any solo instruments.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Aaron

I think Kontakt factory library would be perfect for this and with it you got more than just orchestral instruments. The synths, drums and basses sound decent as well.

You should also check out VSL Special Editions, The Orchestra by Sonuscore and Inspire by Orchestral Tools.

-Hannes

You can also check out EW Symphonic Orchestra Silver (EDU) which should be affordable, sounds great and is not too resource-hungry.

Hans_H,

Very good suggestions and I love OT stuff (I have a ton) - in fact I'll probably get Inspire. VSL SEs are another good suggestion, but both are actually too expensive for most of the students I get. With the Special Editions, they would need to buy too many of them to make up a full orchestra. They do have a bundle, but even that's too expensive. It's definitely a compromise, but unfortunately I have to work with the students I get. It's even a stretch to require them to purchase stuff totaling $250. I thought about Kontakt too, but again too expensive at $399. The only viable choice I could come up with is Garritan PO.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,
Aaron

You can also check out EW Symphonic Orchestra Silver (EDU) which should be affordable, sounds great and is not too resource-hungry.
Great idea, I don't know why I didn't think about that because I actually have an educators discount myself. They would need an iLock of course.

Thanks BenG,

Aaron

Why not the EW student subscription? That way they get everything EW, don't need to buy Kontakt, and can get it for only the duration of the course unless they want to pursue it further. I've taken many courses where there's a ~$50 cost for software for the duration of the course and it's never been an issue.

Why not the EW student subscription? That way they get everything EW, don't need to buy Kontakt, and can get it for only the duration of the course unless they want to pursue it further. I've taken many courses where there's a ~$50 cost for software for the duration of the course and it's never been an issue.
I think you're right, I can't think of a better solution. Another thing, I thought Reaper was free, but I guess it isn't anymore? It's still very cheap so that would probably be the DAW. I use Cubase and sometimes Logic or DP, but they are still too expensive for my students. I'm trying to keep the total cost no more than $250.

Regarding Sibelius and Note Performer, I want them to use a traditional DAW for this class. Good idea though.

Aaron

I don't think it stops working after the trial period, so it's up to the user to either do the right thing and purchase a license or delete Reaper from his computer.

Reaper was never free, but it's inexpensive, and the trial is 100% fully featured and unexpiring. It's really an honor system, which I think is so cool...

If you can find a source for Miroslav 1 (32 bit unless you put it in SampleTank 3), this might be a better option than GPO. I bought it for very little some time ago, and there was even an "essentials" version of some sort for very little money.

But it might be hard to find because of the release of Miroslav 2, which IMHO is waaaay overpriced for what you get, based on my window shopping into it at least.

Unless you're teaching traditional orchestration on a detailed level, some of the more affordable ensemble libraries could give you much higher sonic quality per dollar. But if you do want to teach "real" orchestration via MIDI, then I would think you'd need a full orchestra with all of the individual instruments, and GPO might be your best bet at the price point you're talking about.

EDIT: But for ensembles, ISW's Orchestral Colors? On sale right now for $79.

Reaper was never free, but it's inexpensive, and the trial is 100% fully featured and unexpiring. It's really an honor system, which I think is so cool...

If you can find a source for Miroslav 1 (32 bit unless you put it in SampleTank 3), this might be a better option than GPO. I bought it for very little some time ago, and there was even an "essentials" version of some sort for very little money.

But it might be hard to find because of the release of Miroslav 2, which IMHO is waaaay overpriced for what you get, based on my window shopping into it at least.

Unless you're teaching traditional orchestration on a detailed level, some of the more affordable ensemble libraries could give you much higher sonic quality per dollar. But if you do want to teach "real" orchestration via MIDI, then I would think you'd need a full orchestra with all of the individual instruments, and GPO might be your best bet for at the price point you're talking about.
Of course most of us here would probably pay for Reaper, if we used it, but I can say without hesitation that unfortunately 18-20 year old college students will not buy something unless they have to. I always purchased my software even when I was younger, but that's just me.

I just listened to the Mirslov Philharmonik CE 2 and it's not half bad for the money. I had the original version years ago and thought for the time it wasn't that bad either - especially for the money. Hmm, that is an excellent option.

The students who would most likely take this class would be music majors and also taking my theory classes so I'd teach them traditional orchestration at a beginning level. For this reason I'd want individual instruments and ensemble patches which the Mirslov has.

I think GPO is a great idea. It gives individual instruments so one can orchestrate. It's also limited and simple to use. That's a big plus in an educational setting. It means you have to spend less time instructing them how to use the library and can focus more on your lesson plan.

The less than stellar sound isn't awful for educational purposes and can also be a plus for teaching. It forces the students to hear beyond the samples and massage their programming if they want a better sound through cc's, timing, orchestration, etc. With beginners, there is a danger to believe what you hear from a sample library. ("Oh, that's what a clarinet sounds like. I'm done.") When the samples are notably less than perfect, they must learn to hear in their heads and then work to emulate that sound. Learning how to use a few basic sample types can teach more than having dozens of articulations at your fingertips. Thats beneficial both for learning MIDI basics and for developing their musical ears.

They can choose to spend the money on better samples once they have mastered the basics in class.

Cubase Elements 9 is $67 (edu version). It does everything it needs to do. Together with EWQL Composer Cloud (edu) at $15 you are WELL within your budget to get this done. And you are starting out with the tools needed to get the job done, AND they can expand and upgrade later as need be.

You can also tell them what to include in their initial bundle as part of your program. This will be the easiest dive and easy exit if they are not interested in pursuing it. Additionally if they purchase the full version of Elements ($99) it is easy to sell for half that online so they can re-coup some if their investment if they don't continue.

Edit- Cubase Elements comes with Halion Sonic SE, which might include some instruments right off the bat.

The Reaper Demo is a fully functional. This is the way it was when I taught recording classes and recommended to my students. If they want they can purchase the discounted educational license for $60.
https://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

GarageBand is another great idea. Mac only as mentioned.

EW monthly is a pretty good deal but just remember that Play does require a fairly powerful processor and the bigger libraries should be on ssds.

Last edited:
I would be sure they have the ability to both play music in with a keyboard or use a good step sequencer. I got Studio One with a student/educator discount for 50% off. I know pro comes with orchestral instruments. You may be able to buy extra licences for classes for even cheaper. Their educational people were very helpful with me.

I think GPO is a great idea. It gives individual instruments so one can orchestrate. It's also limited and simple to use. That's a big plus in an educational setting. It means you have to spend less time instructing them how to use the library and can focus more on your lesson plan.
You must teach JJP. You're absolutely correct, simple is key. Most of us here don't have problems with little things like installation or figuring out how an eLicense or iLock works, but young students with no experience will undoubtedly get bogged down in these kinds of things. I teach a GE music class online and it's surprising what simple computer things confuse young students. I really need to keep it as simple and cheap as possible, but still give them everything they need to orchestrate even if it's at a basic level.

Jon, I hadn't thought about Cubase Elements. I'll have to check that out. I use Cubase 9 Pro so hopefully the GUI would be somewhat similar.

You guys are giving me some great ideas so thank you. Hell, I may even take one or two of my best students and buy them what they need and do a trial semester just to see how it works out. Hey, it's probably tax deductible.

Top Bottom